Heated Seat Driver side not warm any more | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heated Seat Driver side not warm any more

MustangJim1

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
One of the things I really like about the 2014 Explorer is the Seat Warmers that are hot on high and hit my lumbar just right. Lately the driver side seat warmer doesn't get Hot like it used to. Passenger side works fine, gets toasty warm on high..

Driver side works but it's very low. Can't feel a difference between Low Med High.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of the things I really like about the 2014 Explorer is the Seat Warmers that are hot on high and hit my lumbar just right. Lately the driver side seat warmer doesn't get Hot like it used to. Passenger side works fine, gets toasty warm on high..

Driver side works but it's very low. Can't feel a difference between Low Med High.

Any ideas?
Sound like the heating elements in the seat or wires to them are broken. But don't forget the switch itself could be an issue as well.
You should be able to check those with a multimeter without having to take the entire seat apart.
But you will have find the right wire that goes into the seat
I'm not familiar with the seat warmer on the Explorers, but if the wiring is fine and you need to replace the seat warmer inside the seat, you will commonly have to remove the seat cover.
The seat warmer basically works like an electric heating blanket, and the part to replace is simply a heating mat that is slipped into the seat between the cover and the foam cushioning of the seat.

I discovered the problem in my fiancee's 2010 Ford Fusion recently, so I did some investigation and found that we're not alone in this problem, and that it's happening not just in our Fusion, but in Explorers as well. My Ford dealership said it would cost about $700 to fix, mostly because of labor, so I'm looking into fixing it myself, but am nervous to mess with anything electrical.

Full disclosure: I happen to be an attorney who brings consumer class actions, so this got my attention both on a personal and professional level. My firm is now investigating defective and dangerous seat warmers in 2014-2019 Ford Fusion, Ford Explorer, Ford F-150, or any other Ford vehicles. My contact info is below, or you can message me directly on this forum.

ADVERTISEMENT

Our firm is currently investigating complaints about Ford's defective seat warmers in Ford Fusions, Ford F-150s, and Ford Explorers
relating to possible dangerous design and fire hazards in the seat warmer electrical components.

We’d like to hear from anyone who owns, or previously owned, a 2014-2019 Ford Fusion, Explorer, or F-150. In addition, if you’re interested in pursuing legal action against Ford,
please contact us.

Nathaniel Carroll
nathaniel@keanelawllc.com
Keane Law LLC
www.keanelawllc.com

Please disregard this solicitation if you have already engaged a lawyer in connection with the legal matter
referred to in this solicitation. You may wish to consult your lawyer or another lawyer instead of me (us).
The exact nature of your legal situation will depend on many facts not known to me (us) at this time. You
should understand that the advice and information in this solicitation is general and that your own situation
may vary. This statement is required by the rule of the Supreme Court of Missouri

^ Heh, leave it to a lawyer to take a simple wear/failure issue and try to paint it as a "dangerous design and fire hazards".

It's neither. The resistance of the circuit goes up somewhere so less current flows. This is not dangerous. The danger from seat heaters is if they get too hot rather than not getting hot enough. Nothing bad is going to happen besides your buttocks getting cold in winter.

MustangJim1 I had the exact same issue on my 16. I brought it in the dealership and they had to replace the heating element. It was all corroded.

Did they explain how the seating element corroded? Is it condensation or just a sweaty ass lol

I imagine that condensation might be an issue in cold climates as they cool down. Wonder if there is any way to inspect it without tearing the seat apart?

LOL, they did not explain or imagine how it got corroded and since it was under warranty I was happy to get it fixed and leave.
I live in a VERY cold winter environment so it might explain why but not sure.
And yeah they had to take out the seat etc etc do diag and fix. They had it for two days

You should move to the other side of the river.:D

Peter

First off this thread started over a year ago on a 2014 Limited. The Platinum and Limited have a completely different heating then an XLT. The XLT has a cloth pad with a wire like an oven in it. The Limited and Platinum maybe the Lariat have a TEDS unit in it. The device is electronically controlled and use a fan to push air across it. If you run current though it one way it heats if you run it the other way it cools. It takes cabin air and will change it about 15 degrees plus or minus. So on a really cold day it takes awhile for the interior to warm up then the really heat begins, on a hot day the AC kicks in and the cooler it goes the cooler the seats go. To say a wire was corroded, the only wire on a padded seat heater that will corrode is the ground wire and causes a larger current draw which will not allow it to heat as much. If you ever look at a Chevy Truck with one tail light dimmer then the other, that is caused by a corroded ground wire. They have had this issue for many years.

Did they explain how the seating element corroded? Is it condensation or just a sweaty ass lol

I imagine that condensation might be an issue in cold climates as they cool down. Wonder if there is any way to inspect it without tearing the seat apart?

The corrosion is caused by the pins on the plug being used at there highest rating all the time. If the pins are rated at 5 amps and I draw 5 amps all day long though them they heat up and get a little burn spot on them. After awhile the burn spot turns into what looks like corrosion. It really is just the metal in the pins breaking down because of the constant heat (current) drawn though them. I have seen this on the medical equipment I instruct as well as many different cars and trucks mostly GM

Back