5R55E No Reverse or engine braking in 1st. Broken band? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E No Reverse or engine braking in 1st. Broken band?

Reaction score
City, State
Victorville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ranger XLT 4x4
Put the truck into Reverse, when i hit the gas it felt like i backed up over a tree stump . Then truck had no reverse whatsoever, acted as if Reverse was Neutral. Im pretty sure that is a broken reverse band but how do i be sure? And also has anyone rebuilt a 5R55E? Whats the difficulty level? I believe i i can take it on and accomplish it but i i would like to hear from someone who has done it before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The difficulty is not too bad. The bench work is pretty easy, removal and replacement is definitely the meat of the job. If you want to be certain that the band is broken, I believe with the pan and possibly the valve body removed, you can probe the band integrity with a screwdriver

Ya, did the probe with a screw driver and felt a slight spring but it moved at first and its not within reach of the servo .

The difficulty is not too bad. The bench work is pretty easy, removal and replacement is definitely the meat of the job. If you want to be certain that the band is broken, I believe with the pan and possibly the valve body removed, you can probe the band integrity with a screwdriver
being completely un experienced with transmissions but very mechanically inclined do you think ill be okay to overhaul my 5R55E? Or should i seek assistance from someone who knows more about ATs?

being completely un experienced with transmissions but very mechanically inclined do you think ill be okay to overhaul my 5R55E? Or should i seek assistance from someone who knows more about ATs?
You should be okay, there is tons of info and very knowledgeable industry pros in the transmission sub-forum so check that out too. You will need something to align the pump with upon reassembly, and the stator seals can be tricky to resize. But spring compressors you don't need those, and most everything else you can work around.

You should be okay, there is tons of info and very knowledgeable industry pros in the transmission sub-forum so check that out too. You will need something to align the pump with upon reassembly, and the stator seals can be tricky to resize. But spring compressors you don't need those, and most everything else you can work around.
So pump alignment tool and what do i need to resize the stator seals?

Back