Mike Saunders

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
13 XLT
18 Sport
Hi all,

Is there any way to setup an in-car LAN in an 18 Sport that uses the hotspot to stream video to connected devices?

For long car trips in our 13 XLT, I used an old router and a connected 500GB drive to stream video to the kids' iPads. I'm hoping to do something similar for an upcoming trip, but hope to use the in-car hotspot capabilities.

The data plan doesn't seem to make much sense for us, as we're streaming video from within the car, not from the Web. Any ideas?

Hmmm, interesting question.

At some point there would need to be some type of server running to fulfill the request. I don't think there is a ford approved app for that. The last time I checked was about a year ago and there only a handful of useless (to me) apps. I don't remember seeing a media server as one of them.

I will do some tinkering when I have a chance but it sounds like your previous solution may be best. Cancel your online plan if not needed. Now, if you had your movies in the cloud that you could navigate to from the devices...

Why include the car at all, just get a portable wifi NAS and stream your videos anywhere, not just the car.

RAVPower FileHub Plus, Wireless Travel Router, Portable SD Card,HDD Backup Unit, DLNA NAS Sharing Media Streamer 5200mAh External Battery Pack for Android, Laptop, Cellphone, Ipad Pro http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T5XQE3U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_OPCBDbNKZCQRW

Back