Air outlet tube | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air outlet tube

Gotdecibels

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer 4.0 sohc
My 1997 ford explorer (4.0 sohc) has an air outlet tube that's shredded where it connects to the throttle body and I'm trying to find a replacement without luck. I have came across both cold air intake kits and the tube for 99 explorers that look the same however they don't have a hole for the iat sensor like the 97 does (found out on the 99 it's built into the maf sensor) what are my options ? Can I maybe just use a 99 tube and make a hole for the sensor? Bypass it all together? Or get a maf sensor for the 99 as well ? (Not sure if that would work but I would rather not do that anyway)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found the iat is resistance based. Could I possibly just bypass the iat with a resistor in order to not get a check engine light and go with a air tube from the 99+ explorers and let the iat connector hang? Would that harm anything

Do you have any JY's close by where you can pick up a used air duct? I'm sure yours is the same as the one on my '98 if that helps expand your search. If no luck, I could maybe find one for you at our local U Pull.

Can't help with the work-around options with the sensor. If it were me, I'd hesitate to mess with bypassing any sensor. Have enough problems keeping these old suv's running correctly without intentionally introducing a possible problem.

You can use the 99 intake tube and 7 wire mas, wire your IAT sensor into the 99 MAS

97 MAS = 5 wires, and 2 wires to IAT
99 MAS = 7 wires, 5 for MAS and 2 for IAT, its a simple swap and others have done it.

It is called an INTAKE tube not "air return"
You can also use aftermarket "cold air" kits if they come with provisions for your IAT sensor hole and crankcase vent hose....

Is it an F87Z-9B659-FB ? The following forum post states that is the part # for a '97, and I also saw the same # listed for '97-'98 on parts supplier sites that had it discontinued/not-available:

4.0 l SOHC air intake hose

Edit: I had one linked but further investigation leads me to believe it was the wrong part (ending in "A" instead of "FB") for a 3.0L Ranger.

You can use the 99 intake tube and 7 wire mas, wire your IAT sensor into the 99 MAS

97 MAS = 5 wires, and 2 wires to IAT
99 MAS = 7 wires, 5 for MAS and 2 for IAT, its a simple swap and others have done it.

It is called an INTAKE tube not "air return"
You can also use aftermarket "cold air" kits if they come with provisions for your IAT sensor hole and crankcase vent hose....
Ahh ok! So to be clear I can basically just get one for the 99 with the maf sensor cut the plug off the iat of my 97 and wire it to the other 2 of 7 wires off the 99 maf? Baasically my thinking then would be get a connector for the 99 maf sensor cut my 97 plug wire the 5 wires to the 99 maf and the 2 from my iac to the 99 maf as well

Can you post a pic of the one you have?

Can you post a pic of the one you have?

20190813_185241.jpg

Here's one, but the price is high...

97 1997 FORD EXPLORER AIR TUBE PIPE 4.0L INTAKE HOSE | eBay

Too bad the pull-a-part yards I go to are not close. Those would be dirt cheap. I think I have three used ones for my Paseo. I think all were under $10...
Nice find! Im debating weather to just buy that one or get a new maf sensor and hose for a 99 explorer and wire it up. (My maf sensor is 4 wires btw) unfortunately I checked my local junk yards. That was the first thing I did

Back