Emergency tranny and engine swap 96 to 99 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency tranny and engine swap 96 to 99

HI!!!! I missed this idea, this was what I was originally trying to do but then plans changed, and ironically I was pulling the whole wiring harness out b4 the Landlord turned into a jerk.

So LB (96) beat up pretty good but which way would be cheaper?
Take body of 99 fix 96 cuz I will have to do gaskets and lubes and all that and rebuild my TC if that is at all possible. Been driving with it broke since April.

Plus the wiring in LB(96) is going. My driver side window doesn't roll up now at all.

Speedometer never worked I go by my RPMS and well he truly is about to poo out on me.

Maybe I could find another one for 1,000?
Like I said. It would be cheaper and easier to find a beat up awd 5.0 donor. If you use a 99 or newer V8 and donor it's really no more involved than a motor trans swap. It can be done in a weekend and would be easier than trying to get that v6 from the 96 truck to work. I did the swap in a 2000 4x4 ranger. I had it running and driving in less that 12 hours. If the donor is running and driving and has the complete exhaust system trips to the parts store would be minimal. That 99 looks clean. And is well worth the swap. Even the fuel system would be plug and play. Much easier than trying to swap bodies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OMG she has $100 budget and two V6 trucks trying to make one good one in 3 days (now 7 weeks) and you introduce a 3rd truck?
Go find a V8 for under $1000 and use the drivetrain from that!
Popcorn time!!

Next time I move, my strategy is gonna be...
- Insure it.
- Burn it.
- Shop when I get there...
;)...

Ok, let's see if I got this right:

You have 3 plans:

1. Rebuild Red's engine and replace the auto transmission with manual from the '96
2. Replace Red's engine with the 96's along with the manual transmission
3. Swap Red's body on the 96's frame

You also apparently have some miscellaneous things wrong with Red that need to be addressed, like a broken key cylinder. Am I on the right track?

First off scrub plan 3. That is very time intensive. I've taken the bodies off a few frames and it's not fun without a lift (well, not fun regardless)

Plan 1: The oil coming out of the throttle body (what you call the "carburetor") on Red is probably due to a bad lower intake gasket, fairly common and usually not too serious. However it can cause a loss of power and carbon fouling on the spark plugs. That's just the most obvious thing I am seeing, but I am not sure what else makes that engine "bad". You already have mine and 410's notes on the manual swap.

Can be the simplest and quickest solution depending on what's wrong with the engine.

Plan 2: I believe we also addressed this in the above posts.

You have a good known quantity in the 96 engine and trans probably the safest route.

Pick one and go.

Note: The '99 has PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) that requires a transponder key to work. if the lock cylinder is damaged and you don't have the key that truck will never start. It would require a trip to the dealer to fix and reprogram the key. (Not cheap). If you swap in the 96 motor you will HAVE to swap in the 96 computer. It does not have PATS and works with the standard key. You could pull the key cylinder from the 96 and put it in the '99 column.

Like I said. It would be cheaper and easier to find a beat up awd 5.0 donor. If you use a 99 or newer V8 and donor it's really no more involved than a motor trans swap. It can be done in a weekend and would be easier than trying to get that v6 from the 96 truck to work. I did the swap in a 2000 4x4 ranger. I had it running and driving in less that 12 hours. If the donor is running and driving and has the complete exhaust system trips to the parts store would be minimal. That 99 looks clean. And is well worth the swap. Even the fuel system would be plug and play. Much easier than trying to swap bodies.

I disagree. A V8 swap is not easier than just swapping in the v6. I've done both and a V6 -> V6 is a lot easier (just swap engine wiring harnesses) and less costly than a V6 -> V8 swap ($1000 for a donor, if she can find one, plus storage during the swap, and disposal of the vehicle after its been stripped.) She already has everything she needs for the V6 swap.

Same mission. I just have more time. And 1,000$ not 100$ to work with. The pictures are so everyone can see what I am working with. I have no family here or friends and need to get out of AK before winter because of the weather and the Alcan highway through Canada. I came to all of you because I have done ALL my own work on my vehicles and thought I could save research time and have a connection to others that may be helpful for hiccups and guidance on where to start.

Forgive my ignorance, I have not done much transmission work. but bottom line is.....

I have a 99' Ford Explorer XLT automatic 4.0 4x4 Has no tranny or transfer case. I was told the engine was probably blown because oil in the intake. Everything else is in great condition it seems. I may be able to use the engine in it but I don't know how to find out what has cause oil to escape into the intake.

I have a 96' Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4. Runs but the wiring has an issue left Driver side window doesn't roll up anymore, the child locks don't turn off, the passenger side door got Tboned and now Pops catching the fender when opening from outside. Inside if you want out only the driver side door can open from inside. There is a short somewhere because the right brake light doesn't work either. (constant light but no breaking) it leans to the left because of a suspension issue. The sway bar link on the on driver side keeps breaking because of some kind of turning issue when in 4wheel. Now not an issue because the transfer case blew, loud noises of scary grinding and then no 4 wheel drive now it just makes a constant girgley whine. I believe that is it. Oh, none of the doors can b locked and no key lock for hatch at all just a whole, no back wiper.

I need to make 1solid truck and love my stick shift.

In the past I took an engine with tranny attached straight out a Trans Am and put it in my Camaro, I removed the engine and tranny same way only cracking the firewall a little but it went smoothly other than that with only having to swap a few sensors and hoses, (they were 85/86) I assumed I could do the same thing in this case.

I assumed if I had all the parts (between both trucks technically I do) it would take a few but we would have (finally) a decent truck.

Suggestions so far have been;

1)Drop the project.

2)Put a V8 in 99' transfer 96' tranny.

3)Take all cosmetic outside, fenders, hood, and hatch and put on old truck(96).

4)Fix newer (99) trucks' intake issues and use 99's engine only transfering the 96s' transmission.

5)give up and take both to the dump and fly. Use public transportation when I get to the states.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

If you all still want the 96' engine pics and tranny pics let me know cuz it is time consuming and if the consensus is to drop it all or its too complicated to be of assistance to me via blog then I will take this advice and move on. I don't usually give up when the going gets tuff, especially on my vehicles that have taken care of the kids and I.

BUT, at this point I am losing my motivation and desire to try and may just take the easy route and deal with no car in the States where it's not below 0 and dark and depressing, but at least I won't be riding the bus in 6' ft of snow with a double stroller and 2 toddlers.

Thank you all for the suggestions and let me know what you think. Maybe I will put one of those polls up, "Do it?" or say "Fudge it. Peace out AK, you deal them" ☹️✌️

Sorry bad morning, and school is starting, last year we were tardy 60 times in a row, I hate school.

YES! Thank you for explaining it better. (I still gotta read the rest but YES! That's the options!)

Ok, let's see if I got this right:

You have 3 plans:

1. Rebuild Red's engine and replace the auto transmission with manual from the '96
2. Replace Red's engine with the 96's along with the manual transmission
3. Swap Red's body on the 96's frame

You also apparently have some miscellaneous things wrong with Red that need to be addressed, like a broken key cylinder. Am I on the right track?

First off scrub plan 3. That is very time intensive. I've taken the bodies off a few frames and it's not fun without a lift (well, not fun regardless)

Plan 1: The oil coming out of the throttle body (what you call the "carburetor") on Red is probably due to a bad lower intake gasket, fairly common and usually not too serious. However it can cause a loss of power and carbon fouling on the spark plugs. That's just the most obvious thing I am seeing, but I am not sure what else makes that engine "bad". You already have mine and 410's notes on the manual swap.

Can be the simplest and quickest solution depending on what's wrong with the engine.

Plan 2: I believe we also addressed this in the above posts.

You have a good known quantity in the 96 engine and trans probably the safest route.

Pick one and go.

Note: The '99 has PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) that requires a transponder key to work. if the lock cylinder is damaged and you don't have the key that truck will never start. It would require a trip to the dealer to fix and reprogram the key. (Not cheap). If you swap in the 96 motor you will HAVE to swap in the 96 computer. It does not have PATS and works with the standard key. You could pull the key cylinder from the 96 and put it in the '99 column.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

OK, IF I GOT IT RIGHT,...

2) Use swap directions from earlier posts for engine and tranny swap of 96' to 99'

Or....
1) put in the tranny from 96' and engine rebuild kit. For 99'.

In any situation I will. Have to replace ignition lock cylinder.

I have one more pick that may b the decider. There's a wierd black box in red you should see maybe that Anti-theft thing.

Be RIGHT BACK! THANK YOU!

20190813_130901.jpg

And
20190813_130837.jpg

If the 99's SOHC motor is still good, it sure sounds like the easy way out would be to just swap transmissions (and pedals) & transfer cases, and keep the motor.

Or, how about finding a good used 5R55E transmission for the 99 like the truck came with originally? that will just bolt in, and use the 96's transfer case. I know you like the manual transmission but I would consider this seriously, assuming you can source a decent 5R55E.

Is that some kind of aftermarket alarm? Yeesh.

If the 99's SOHC motor is still good, it sure sounds like the easy way out would be to just swap transmissions (and pedals) & transfer cases, and keep the motor.

Or, how about finding a good used 5R55E transmission for the 99 like the truck came with originally? that will just bolt in, and use the 96's transfer case. I know you like the manual transmission but I would consider this seriously, assuming you can source a decent 5R55E.

Fortunately both trucks have the OHV, which makes it a lot easier. You really need to try and start the 99 or at least get it so you can pull codes. It sounds like you are running blind on what's wrong with the engine on it.

Thank you guys for the help truly....

MR.Q I thought you would tell me! LOL! Well I guess it's nothing to be ALARMED ABOUT!!! :laugh::p
K I do love the stick but I believe you may be right Masospaggetti, things have gotten a little more complicated which is leading me to believe it is GET OUT of AK. 1) my kids have ADHD (Or so AK believes)
2) I've been experiencing a lot of depression here and It seems to be getting worse.
3)they cut my son's Behaviorist that shadows him in school.
4)probably because of my depression and lack of support group. They missed some school last year which means that my sons resource wasn't being utilized so they cut him from it.

In short not that you all care about these things,....

I need to get to a place where I can be me and my kids can be them...

Soooo, I will find this 5R55E but I still have to find out what is causing the oil. So do I need it to turn over to do this diagnostic to get the codes?

Thank you for your time

What does this mean?
SmartSelect_20190815-005043_Chrome.jpg

Also I am starting on Red(99) tomorrow by picking up the items relative to her and removing the items in the idea of replacing them with LB(96) parts.

I am prepping her now for her "Tranplants" Can't wait for a sign of God or anything gotta deal with what I got.

If I take apart her engine piece by piece will I find the oil leakage culprit?

Thanks seriously for the help.
D. P.
(if there's any way to let Explorer forum know that I will send thier 20$ on the 1st that'd be great)

I just swapped transfer case from a 99 to my 96, and you will have blinking o/d light and engine light will be on and no speedometer due to 96 transfer case having speed sensor on it and the 99 does not. But everything else worked fine, anyone know a way around the sensor to get it to make the stuff work? these are ford explorers
If you find out this answer can you send it my way too please:wave:

One last am going down your lists tomorrow.

I am assuming that Reds is blown, but I am also going to find out (if I can) what's wrong with Red.

And fix that (if I can)

I am going to rebuild what is transferable to LB parts on red and any and all that match LB if it needs to be done at all.

I am going to search for 55R5E and whatever is already in LB.

AND I am going to get transfer case rebuild kit if none of the above will work.

Finally the best part of all this is...
I LOVE TO WIRE!.... So it sounds like most of the "difficult" stuff involves wiring.... If this is the case I totally got it.

LB pics tomorrow.
Thank you

Any brand, letters, or numbers on that mystery module...?

Kinda weird seeing dip switches inside it.

Ok, this is all getting just to crazy considering children are involved.Nothing is impossible, but some things are dog gone close to it. This is one.

Even if you do end up with a running truck, the Alcan is no place for a shakedown run. My gut doesn't feel good about this one.

Will 1k buy train or bus tickets? I'd do that. seriously.

OP - Here's the best advice I can give you...

Scrap both Explorers. Take whatever money you get for them and add it to your $1000. Maybe you'll end up with $1500-$1600. Look for a late 90's Honda Civic, or Toyota Corolla, that runs and drives. You have too much on your plate now to mess with this project and (IMO) your chances of success are slim. Concentrate your energy on your children.

Ok, this is all getting just to crazy considering children are involved.Nothing is impossible, but some things are dog gone close to it. This is one.

Even if you do end up with a running truck, the Alcan is no place for a shakedown run. My gut doesn't feel good about this one.

Will 1k buy train or bus tickets? I'd do that. seriously.

OP - Here's the best advice I can give you...

Scrap both Explorers. Take whatever money you get for them and add it to your $1000. Maybe you'll end up with $1500-$1600. Look for a late 90's Honda Civic, or Toyota Corolla, that runs and drives. You have too much on your plate now to mess with this project and (IMO) your chances of success are slim. Concentrate your energy on your children.

As much as I want you to succeed, I agree with Turdle and koda. Understanding your situation as you explained a few posts up, my two cents says it's time to throw in the towel and move on. I know you want to keep these Explorers and finish this project, and in another time and place it would be doable, but right now you need to focus on your kids safety and the reliability of your transportation; these Explorer's are not going to help you do that.

However, we are not in your shoes, just observers on the outside looking in. You are the best judge of your situation.

Hi guys!!!

I am so sorry for the late reply! I wasn't able to get on the site for a minute.
So considering all of the suggestions....

BY THE WAY! Thank you for your support truely with all this we really are pretty isolated and it feels good (even if you all are strangers,) that people care .
See we get dividends up here and we will have enough with those to get a new apartment and we can get a new beater Explorer when we get down there I just hate leaving my truck. Maybe it's the Taurus in me, extremely loyal, lol.
But loyal or not, you guys are right. And it'd be a HECK of alot easier to just fly. I found out you can ship boxes from AK for about 30 bucks a box so we won't lose EVERYTHING...

I'm probably gonna cry my eyes out letting go of LB but it's just a truck right. :frown:

HINT: NEVER LET YOUR KIDS NAME YOUR VEHICLES! the attachment level is WAY too high. Well we will be looking for a new truck in Cinncinatti Ohio then.
Thank you for your time and support.
This is us...
20181221_180617.jpg
20180930_124220.jpg

Thanks guys,
I'll be back soon, and will keep you posted.
Much Love.
And hope the Truck God's keep your chariots running smooth.

And if anyone got a Standard Explorer anywhere close to Ohio hit me up PLEASE, we will pick it up in October. I got 1500 to play with, Whoo! Hoo! :rolleyes: As long as it runs we would be happy
Thanks guys
Den

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pray to the ford gods:bow:

Back