Center console arm rest replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center console arm rest replacement

Luna93

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Eddie bauer
hey guys,

I was leaning a little too hard on my arm rest the other day and snapped it at the base. I was able to remove everything and I’ve been looking relentlessly online for a replacement and I’ve found a few but none are leather (seeing as I have a 93 explorer Eddie Bauer)

Any suggestions? Maybe a junk yard but I feel like a leather one would be hard to find. I’d rather order online if need be.

I found this one (picture attached) but it’s not leather !

6F6838CF-2737-40AA-8268-38D1C784A946.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Leather seats were fairly common. Even some XLTs I've owned had leather. The problem is finding one that hasn't broken!

You could always just buy a cloth one and have it recovered.

Leather seats were fairly common. Even some XLTs I've owned had leather. The problem is finding one that hasn't broken!

You could always just buy a cloth one and have it recovered.

I thought about that! Maybe will have to do that!

Dig on here for fixes that other members have done. I know one involves using wood. I think there's one (?) that just uses something that they attached to the bottom of the armrest for support to make it level :dunno:

Is the leather on your old one still in good shape? If so, pull the leather off the old one and put on the new. If not, buy a piece of leather in a tolerably-close-enough matching color.

I don't recall the exact process to put it on but (on my '98, don't know if it's different) think there's the plastic base plate with a bunch of screws then staples in the upholstery. If you don't have a helper to hold it in place (slightly compressing the foam padding) while stapling then a spray adhesive to tack it down might help.

What you have pictured does look different than my '98, with more vertical side material, like it's sewn? On my '98 the top hatch is much shallower and a single piece of material can do it, but if you get top grain leather that's chrome dyed (soft furniture upholstery type), it is fairly soft and can be stitched with a normal (household grade) sewing machine.

Is the leather on your old one still in good shape? If so, pull the leather off the old one and put in on the new. If not, buy a piece of leather in a tolerably-close-enough matching color.

I don't recall the exact process to put it on but (on my '98, don't know if it's different) think there's the plastic base plate with a bunch of screws then staples in the leather. If you don't have a helper to hold it in place (slightly compressing the foam padding) while stapling then a spray adhesive to tack it down might help.

I thought about that. Maybe super glue it or something back on. I’m not opposed to that IF it holds. I dissembled the whole arm rest, so maybe at this point just buy a new one and cover it. Either way, thank you!

I used plastic weld to put mine back together because finding one with red suede is damn near impossible.

I thought about that. Maybe super glue it or something back on. I’m not opposed to that IF it holds. I dissembled the whole arm rest, so maybe at this point just buy a new one and cover it. Either way, thank you!
I would try something more flexible than super glue and yet it's only meant to hold it on until you staple the material, then screw the inner panel back down, again if it is constructed similarly to my '98 despite being a different shape.

If the adhesive is going to be the only thing holding it on then I'd try construction adhesive or epoxy but the tricky part there could be clamping it while keeping the padding a little compressed, without deforming it while the adhesive sets.

Back