My First Explorer, 2000 EB | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My First Explorer, 2000 EB

As per the instructions above here's the info:
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 5.0
I'm from Parsons KS and you can contact me easily through a PM here.

Well, they aren't good pics. They were provided by the seller using a cell phone. But this is my 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I am going to "visit" it today at the sellers house and pull the radiator. My next day off I get to install a new one (would do them both today, but had to order the radiator). Jon (Turdle) has already provided me with the link to the radiator replacement thread. (Thanks again Jon)

Mods will be slow due to funding and the need to finish putting an engine in my other vehicle (seen below). Probably just go with exhaust and slightly more aggresive tires when funds allow. Any suggestions for basic upgrades? LOL I'm a seasoned Veteran with Thunderbirds, but a newbie with Explorers.

Explorer01.jpg

Explorer02.jpg

Explorer03.jpg

Explorer04.jpg

Explorer05.jpg

Explorer06.jpg

Explorer07.jpg

My other vehicle can be seen here:

GT_Touched_SM.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ya know what? You are exactly right! That's the answer, been wanting bigger tires on it anyway. LoL

Seems like I've been ignoring this thread for a while.
I bought a set of 5 used wheels last week. Currently figuring out where I am going to go have them mounted. Not sure the little shop around the corner is up to doing the stick on weights. Also gotta make sure I can afford the work LoL. Its a lean month.

Well upon further reflection (and investigation) it dawned on me that the "little shop around the corner" is a wheel and tire dealer. If anyone can install them it's them. They also have pretty good prices. Asked about a combo deal on mounting tires and alignment and was told their aligning machine was toast and they had to buy a new one. But at least I'll have the wheels mounted soon. Was quoted 60 for the wheel mounting, however I'm betting the are assuming 4 wheels. I'm guessing 75 total.

Got the wheels on

153759-3c4a6bfe54cd4d5096ae84001fbcc64e.jpg

153758-bd7e49749cce09f0449385549274ce39.jpg

153757-a38848eee8f6db93b82ea4edd95236e5.jpg

153756-3baa232b0686987a8ac41cb421245df5.jpg

Just realized how small those pics are. I'll do better soon.

Well a body lift is on the way. Been debating between a 2" and a 3". I realized that my grill guard is bolted to the frame, and comes out through the bumper. So it will have to be lifted equally with the body. It's mounted to "L" brackets that are bolted to the bottom of the frame, coming in and turning down so there is a vertical mount inboard of and lower than the frame for bolting the guard to. I realized that if I were to reverse these brackets and flip them (left to right and right to left) that would move the mounting surfaces inward and upward. (Everyone keeping up so far? LoL) So all I have to do is measure the difference in height between the two positions and make body lift blocks and bumper adapters to that height. Then all components would raise the same amount.I
I'll keep ya all posted on my progress, and try to post pics to make it less confusing.

Will 1" body lift not get it for ya? Your bumper mounts will be weak after raising, just so you know. Your bumpers will be just kinda held there in place with no structure---
Unless you need an excuse for fabricated bumpers, which I presume you do so nevermind---

sorry I blew up

LoL well I don't need an excuse... Per se...
Bumpers are in the foreseeable future however.
Truthfully after removing my front bumper 4-5 times to get at the cooler and other parts I've come to realize it's not all that sturdy from the factory. I can easily lift and move it with one hand.
But, until I can afford them, I gotta have something up there. I also plan to fabricate a front mounted receiver that comes through the lower opening in the bumper. Until I get a real bumper that includes everthing.

Spent 2 weekends working on a controversial project. I can't really call them sliders, but they are stronger than the pinch welds they protect, and they look better.
There is a 2x3 6ft piece of angle iron firmly attached to the pinch weld (and further up the body). Then a 1.5 x 2.5 6ft piece of steel tubing is placed between the rocker panels and the angle iron and welded to the angle iron.

IMG_20191006_153802361_HDR.jpg

received_589316081785187.jpeg

received_698556040611800.jpeg

Also, installed a new antenna mount while I was waiting for paint to dry. Can't wait to make it functional.

IMG_20191006_140555344.jpg

Spent 2 weekends working on a controversial project. I can't really call them sliders, but they are stronger than the pinch welds they protect, and they look better.
There is a 2x3 6ft piece of angle iron firmly attached to the pinch weld (and further up the body). Then a 1.5 x 2.5 6ft piece of steel tubing is placed between the rocker panels and the angle iron and welded to the angle iron.

View attachment 174523

View attachment 174524

View attachment 174525

That looks awesome. Do you have pics of underneath it? Thinking of doing something like this for mine.

I'll get pics as soon as I get home. Gotta do the smog inspection today to renew tags

I jumped up and down on the angle iron after I put it in and before I put the steel tubing in. They didn't budge. Still... In hindsight, I might go 3x3 angle iron if I were to do it again and if it'd fit.

Better pics all around

IMG_20191008_172709809_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191008_172655818_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191008_172642566_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191008_172624949_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191008_172853723.jpg

IMG_20191008_172901793.jpg

The angle iron is bolted to the pinch weld with 5/16 stainless bolts. Large washers on the pinch weld side to prevent pulling through. Before I drilled and welded I attempted welding them, but I dont have faith in my welds or the fact that I realized I was "welding" to sheet metal. So the holes were drilled through the pinch weld and the angle iron and the bolts went in.
I first placed the rectangular tubing on the angle iron then test fit it up against the rocker panels, holding it up there with a jack. Looked for anyplace that might not fit. (Brackets, bolts, etc) any "conflicts" I saw got a clearing cut in the tubing. Then the tubing was placed up against the rocker panel again. The angle iron was placed against it and everything was held up with a jack. I used a couple c clamps to keep the parts together as I "attached" the angle iron (the aforementioned welding). Following that the tubing was removed leaving the angle iron right where it needed to be. That's when i decided to drill and install the bolts. I welded end caps on the tubing, also filled any place that got notched. Then painted the tubing and the angle iron (except where they would be welded together) placed the tubing as tightly into the angle iron as I could then welded the edge of the angle iron to the edge of the tubing. Then painted everything again.

I made the bolts extra long because I thought I might bolt bars to the angle iron and run them to the spots that once held the running boards in place.
I really need to get some paint up in there. Might have to use a brush, don't know if I can get a spray can up there. LoL
Also, to make it easier to reach everything I drove whichever side I was working on up on ramps. In hindsight, I would drive all four wheels up on Ramps at the same time as I tended to work on both at the same time. Saved time while waiting for paint to dry, metal to cool, etc.

Decided to go out and test the rails (sliders).
There was a group from Mesa4Wheelers doing turkey creek so I joined them. The results are shown. Some damage but nothing even near the rails.
Not complaining. It was fun and nothing I can't fix or make better. Since the bumper is damaged I can cut it with a clear conscience now. And I've been wanting a different set of tail lights.
I'll post more pics of the actual trip later. Most of the pics I took weren't of me as I was busy driving. But the group leader took some so I'll get them from him and post them.

IMG_20191012_103702444_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191012_102249903_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191012_102106440_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191012_102257771_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191012_102314695_HDR.jpg

Dang Tupperware don't last long wheeling.

The brush guard pushing back is a known issue, and so is the tail lights guards, so that's understandable, but the antenna?? How the heck?? Tree Bush??

Back