Can I swap these air intake tubes easily? 94/95 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I swap these air intake tubes easily? 94/95

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
F4C60151-CA0F-4E8A-AA5E-B2A86DC483D4.jpeg
3779FC55-4D01-4495-8F15-4BF56CBE9CC5.jpeg
F9133F48-DE2F-464C-918B-BB07D7797418.jpeg
I just picked up a 94 B4000 with a rotted out air intake tube. This truck has the 4.0 ohv with the same tube and box as a gen1 Explorer.
I have a 95 Ranger also with 4.0 ohv. This truck has a cone style filter and corresponding tube.
I would like to swap the cone and tube onto the B4000.
Questions
Can I swap the MAFs without any issue? The lip where the air tube attaches is different from one to the other, see pic.
If I can swap the MAF, can I swap the MAF sensors so the B4000 sensor stays on the B4000, but it would be mounted on the 95 Ranger MAF?
If I can do that, what do I need to do with the wiring? There is a pigtail connector that goes with the cone MAF, made to pass thru the plastic housing. That outer pigtail end won’t plug into anything on the B4000.
Top pic is the 94, second pic is 95, third pic shows the different lips, 95 cone on the left, 94 on the right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

D06DBC30-833D-433E-A559-96B0436FA558.jpeg
showing similarity in wires.

34147056-12A6-41F9-A5D6-3FBDA007D883.jpeg

Showing the pigtail ends on the left, and 94 connector on right.

E2AB9658-6ACD-4A7C-936E-F7B75ED5C91B.jpeg
One more pic showing how well the cone tube will fit

The maf sensors themselves need to stay with the housing, they are flow matched for it. The newer maf might work but fuel trims might not be exactly correct.

If the fuel trims weren’t exactly correct, what exactly would that do? Slightly poorer mpg, rough running engine, what would I notice? I don’t quite understand the term fuel trim...

You have short term and long term fuel trims .

Short term, literally is the computer adjusting in real time the fuel it pumps through the injectors. This is normally plus or minus 3-4%, max

If it goes beyond the parameters say 8% ,( 4+ and 4-) of short term it gets pushed to long term. This is where you start getting check engine lights or it can start running bad, bad mileage, etc. You don't want this. A simple vaccum leak can cause this.

So you could have a long term fuel trim 15% that the ECU will always have and then a short term moving around at the plus or minus 3-4%. For a total of 11-19%. You can see how 19% more fuel in a cylinder could cause issues.

okay now Bill is going to be really confused.
Does he swap over the round style air box and splice the wires so the 95 mas is now in the truck?
Or does he put his 94 sensor in the 95 body?

I think you put the whole 95 sensor in the 94 truck <------------------------------my vote
If so can you re pin the connectors instead of splicing wires?

Lets stay tuned to find out which approach is best!
I like the 95 style round air box way better, the intake tube is the best one the OHV had.......

Okay, so 95 round box with the 95 MAF and MAF sensor sounds like the way to go, if I can repin the four wires. I’ve never done that, but it can’t be too hard, maybe I’ll look for a YouTube video on repinning.
Backup plan is use the 94 MAF sensor and hope it runs as good as Brian’s!

Or go to a 98+ explorer box and you can use the original maf housing.

My intake off the 1999 is a box style but it ends up about the same place as your cone style unit.

The only reason I’m wanting to convert to a round box is because I already have it all, on the parts truck. If I can’t make that work, I will find a replacement intake tube to keep the factory square box setup.

Today I took the tube off my OG Ranger and put it on the Mazda, just to see how much better it runs with a good tube on there. Didn’t get to drive it yet to see.

Are the intakes from the 94 Explorer and your Ranger the same? I think I have two intakes and boxes from 94 Explorers, and a K&N filter.

51982594-3BBD-4A02-B874-C1B208F17A3D.jpeg
I believe it’s the exact same setup, Brian. This is the one off my 93 and now on the 94 Mazda.

I screwed up for RangerX. I thought I had a complete intake from the donor Explorer. The intake off mine was in my shed, and I found it under some heavy stuff crushed and cracked. I went over to where I store some old stuff; no intake from the donor. I must have given it away or tossed it and forgot. If anyone has this stuff, please help Bill out.

I have a K&N cone filter from my 96 somewhere in my garage if you want to use one... :shifty:

Might be hitting junkyards next week on my vacation @RangerX if you need something...

Wow yes, an intake tube as shown in post #14 if you see one! 91-94 4.0 Explorer Ranger B4000. Where are you going for vacation?

Pry just usual Fort Collins, Colorado.

There is a pick-a-part yard in Cheyenne, WY, and one in Greeley, CO, that I go to.

@RangerX want just the tube, or everything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@toypaseo just the tube and the rubber gasket things on the ends. One tube would be great, but if you see two, I could use two!

Back