How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
View media item 53875I used switched 12v from the radio for pin 85. After the installation, the radio will stay on any time the headlights are on. I think the 4H and 4L lights must be getting power from both the headlight and the switched circuits and it's feeding pin 86, then across the electromagnet and out pin 85 to fire up the radio. Does that make sense, or am I looking at t his all wrong? If that's the case, has no one else run into this? I can use another source of power (cigarette lighter for example) but that could be worse if something's plugged in and it's getting power from the headlight circuit instead of its own fuse. Would a diode between the switched lead to the radio and pin 85 be the solution?

I can't be the only one that's run into this.
Just a follow up to this. I'd ignored it for a long time because getting the truck itself running was a bigger priority. It's starting to move up the list now that the truck is on the road. One other thing I've noticed is that the power windows also work as long as the headlights are on. So far that one doesn't make any sense to me. Anybody have an idea? @Spudhut ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a follow up to this. I'd ignored it for a long time because getting the truck itself running was a bigger priority. It's starting to move up the list now that the truck is on the road. One other thing I've noticed is that the power windows also work as long as the headlights are on. So far that one doesn't make any sense to me. Anybody have an idea? @Spudhut ?

That sounds like there's a connection between the accessory delay circuit, and the headlights, a couple of crossed circuits.

It's probably still related to the constant power for the gauge lights feeding across the relay onto the switched accessory wire to fire up the radio. I'll try a diode there so it can't flow that direction to see if it resolves everything. Thanks.

It's probably still related to the constant power for the gauge lights feeding across the relay onto the switched accessory wire to fire up the radio. I'll try a diode there so it can't flow that direction to see if it resolves everything. Thanks.

If it has some added wiring, that's probably it. I added a bunch of stuff to my 99 for mail delivery, including a power source that also feeds the radio. I added diodes to that and the extra turn signal switches. So I can run the radio without the key at any time. Diodes are cool items.

The only relevant added wiring is what I've done to make the shift lights work, but that's got to be it. Question - any idea what size diode I need? I saw this but wasn't sure if there was a better/cheaper/simpler alternative.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UVR570

That looks like a heavy duty diode, that will work. I went to a local electronics store and asked for one. I gave them my estimate of current(15 amp fuse on the radio), and they suggested a diode. I did the same for my turn signals, and both times it was about $3 a piece for the diodes. I had to ask them which way to wire it in, I wasn't familiar with the symbol on it and which way it means the current flows.

Sorry to be making an extremely long thread even longer, but I’m getting confused regarding rear driveshafts.

I did the BW4406 swap a couple of years ago and recently dented my rear driveshaft, so I’m looking to replace it. It currently is the double cardan variation, which I actually got used from someone on here, so I assumed at the time it was the correct one from an Expedition, although now I’m second guessing that for a few reasons. 1) I had to get it shortened about 1” when I did the swap because it seemed too long, and 2) it has never slipped into the t-case output easily, requiring several minutes worth of pounding with a dead blow to get it to slide on. 3) It has always leaked a tiny bit of fluid between the output seal and slip yoke, even with new seals.

Fast forward to today, I went to a junkyard and found 2 different styles of rear driveshaft, both of which just have a single u-joint at the t-case but are totally different in several ways. One Expedition definitely has a 5.4 engine, and I’m pretty sure the second does as well, although it’s hard to identify with the condition the vehicles are in. Both have 9.75 rear ends, and 4r100 transmissions, so I would have thought the driveshafts would need to be the same. I don’t recall either vehicle having air suspension either.

You can see in the pictures the differences. They are about 1” different in length. The slip yokes are totally different, the shorter shaft with a more rounded yoke and only one “registration” spline vs the longer one having a larger squared style and 2 of those registration splines. You can also see the splines stop before the end of the slip yoke on one, and go all the way to the end on the other. The rear flanges that bolt to the rear axle pinion are also different, although the hole pattern is identical. Diameters of both the shaft and the slip yoke are the same as far as I can tell.

I’m having a hard time finding pictures of which driveshaft is the correct one, and in hopes of avoiding the tedious removal of my current driveshaft, I’m hoping some of you can offer some clarity. Maybe you guys can measure your non-double cardan shaft lengths?

029945CC-2683-4762-98C7-2B166C44F677.jpeg

939BB6EC-469D-4AF4-A174-D436F793A26D.jpeg

398EB491-26F0-4C4E-9674-96328489934C.jpeg

9871282C-DFAD-4611-8783-EB5D689BDCB6.jpeg

AD1A9CC1-85BA-49EC-94B1-870B3F22C5B5.jpeg

8386E8FE-22ED-4383-B305-A5986F30E557.jpeg

24A7611C-679B-4B0B-894F-46CDD45932FE.jpeg

This is my current driveshaft.
4002068A-6199-471D-9311-632B7F34D6A2.jpeg

The bottom DS in my pic shows the one I used and it worked perfect. The part number matches your second to last pic.

I am sure you already sorted this out but, It should NOT require pounding to get the d shaft to slide into the tailhousing! It should slide easily and fit snug to the tailhousing seal
Getting the right rear D shaft can be tricky, there are so many different ones out there. The ones I used originally when I first did this to my 96 Explorer were from a 97-98 expedition with solid rear axle and a 4.6L engine

Since those have become very hard to find I usually just get the rear shaft from the F150 (4.6L trucks) and have it shortened to fit my project (re tubed)

I went back to the junkyard and got both just to be safe, and the shorter one that SWIGIN mentioned was the better fit. Surprisingly the old one slid out of the t-case without any hammering, but the new one did require some persuasion. Must be something about the output shaft on mine.

By the way, here are a few more comparison pictures for anyone who’s interested. The double cardan allows a tiny bit more angle, and the slip yoke also only has one “registration” spline, although the output shaft just has regular splines completely around the shaft so they really make no difference. Also the double cardan is slightly smaller in overall diameter. The yoke of the single u-joint shaft kisses the gas tank cover.

B58C298C-E204-44A5-8364-9A4D7C0BA09B.jpeg

7CFD4036-8523-4314-9196-D453DA0FDE58.jpeg

C03A54B1-E5BA-4C9E-A2BB-51F6F81C91B6.jpeg

what are those 3 shafts out of (for reference)? Should put the info with the pic
Why does your shop/garage have yellow parking stripes?

I have had to hack away at gas tank covers more then once, the plastic cover gets trimmed near the driveline when they have that big round flange.

Hopefully that helps. Also neither top nor bottom came off vehicles with rear air suspension. And that’s a parking garage, I live in an apartment building.

85DE7838-84E7-486F-99F2-20B470D6F494.jpeg

wicked good
Which one worked again? No 4.6 trucks around you? LOL
I would have to go back and read but Im 99.9% sure the rear d shaft I used in my 96 was from a 97 Expedition 4.6L and it bolted in. The front shaft bolted in too but it was TIGHT. Years later I learned that I can remove 1" from both sides of the slip yoke (grinder and file) and make the front d shaft slip right in (1" from both sides = 1/2" overlap gained)

I didn’t even try a 4.6 shaft because everyone says the 5.4 is what is needed. The one from the 1999 expedition is what I used, which is slightly shorter. Surprisingly, the front shaft (presumably from a 4.6) bolted right in for me, which is nothing short of miraculous considering it’s a 2nd gen with TTB.

well the front diff and the t case are still in a similar location gen I vs Gen II, etc
Does the front shaft have enough slip for your ttb setup?
COOL!

Yeah because of the length of my radius arms, it barely needs any slip at all.

Ok, time for a new question on this old thread.
Does anyone know what threads are on the shift lever? I've done a body lift and just can't get used to the "shorter" shifter. Want to thread on an extension but don't know what the threads are.

Convert 1996-2001 V8 AWD to Manual Shift BW4406

EDIT: There is a write up on how to connect the indicator lights a few posts down, near the bottom of the page.

transfercase_012_Medium_.jpg

AWD is a great method for putting power to all four wheels, but it does it somewhat inefficiently and doesn’t offer low range. A MANUAL SHIFT BW4406 transfer case from a 97-03 F150 can be installed with a few modifications. Pre 1998 vehicles will need some sort of speed sensor set up, I did not need this, but when a solution is found, I will add this to the thread.

EDIT
Speed Sensor issue is this: The 1997 and 1998 Explorers and Mountaineers use a speedo gear on the output shaft of the transfer case. Most of the later model cases do not have this gear, they do have a provision for the sensor, but no gear. I understand a 1997 and possibly a 1998 F150 transfer case has the gear in the case. If you cannot find an older case, all is not lost. 410Fortune figured out how to put a gear on the shaft to convert a later model case for use. 410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

I am not the first person to think of this or do this by far. V8boatbuilder did a great write up here.
97V8 did a manual conversion that got me spurred on -click here
These guys did the pioneering and figuring, so I don't mean or want to take the credit for the innovation- I just want to make things clear so that others can do this conversion easily.

Items needed:

• Manual shift BW4406 from 1997-2003 F150, there are three part numbers that I know of and cannot find any appreciable difference between them other than possible speed sensor issues.
  • Shift linkage including stick from the same or similar truck as the same transfer case. Edit 10/2012- Be ware the shift linkage from some 5.4 trucks may not work, particularly early (1997 area) vehicles. Thanks to ford99_1979 for this information.
  • 1997-200? Expedition/Navigator 4x4 rear driveshaft. Suspension set up makes no difference that I can tell. Must be from a 5.4 V8 equipped vehicle
  • 1997-200? F150/Expedition front driveshaft (obviously from a 4x4) Must be from a 4.6 V8 equipped vehicle
  • Conversion U Joint Autozone P/N: 185793, PDQ/Brute Force #1-0134.
  • Shift boot of your preference
  • Tube of sealant

The difference in the front Driveshafts:

driveshafts.jpg

Thanks to AMMO_HOOHA I now have the Ford part numbers for the shifter, rod and linkage. Some dealers can't seem to find this stuff in their parts system.

Lower lever (part that bolts to the transmission) F65Z7210BC
Upper lever (the rod in the cab) F65Z7210AB
Rubber boot F75Z7277AA
Linkage (piece that connects to the t/c) XL3Z7B051AA
4406 Manual Transfer Knob F2TZ7213A
4406 Lockout Switch (4wd indicator sensor) 4L327E440AB

Best guess is about $100 for the linkage parts, no boot or knob.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to try to put these instructions in the best order, that isn’t necessarily how I did it, I learned as I went. Revisions or suggestions are welcome. I am assuming some level of mechanical ability and safety common sense when typing this, use your best judgment. I was able to do this with a creeper and four jackstands.

1. Remove center console- remove front piece of console that has the message center or storage pockets, remove cup holder piece that is behind that piece. Near the front of the console, there are two 8mm bolts with large washers that are installed horizontally, take these out. Near the middle of the console on each side there are two more identical bolts that are vertical, use an extension to reach these and a magnet to fish them out. Near the front, there is a wire connector with a 10mm bolt holding the connector together. With the key off, loosen the bolt and disconnect the plug. To remove the console grip it near the back and with a pulling and lifting motion, it should come loose.

2. Remove the trim near the door that holds the edge of the carpet down and fold the carpet back. It is easier and advisable to remove the seats at this time. It is well worth the effort. Fold the carpet back to expose the plate that covers the top of the transmission and remove the cover.

3. Using a 13mm socket remove the top two bolts that hold the transfer case to the transmission. Leave the cover off and the carpet back.

4. Go under the truck and remove the front and rear drive shafts. The rear requires a 12pt 12mm socket for all four bolts. The front needs a torx bit and an 8mm socket or hand wrench at least if you have the CV style front output.

5. Remove the remaining four bolts that hold the transfer case, pull the vent hose off the barb on the front on and remove the case.

6. This is a good time to have less than a half tank of gas. Put a jack under the gas tank with a board to prevent denting it. Loosen the rear strap using a 13mm socket, but do not remove the bolt.

7. The front of the tank is held by a bracket that is bolted to the frame. Remove the two 18mm bolts that hold the tank to the bracket. Remove the four 15mm nuts that hold the bracket to the frame. Two of the nuts are on the bottom of the frame, the other two are on top between the frame and body. Remove the bolt pairs from the frame. You may have to tap them with a hammer.

8. Remove the bracket from the truck. The end of the bracket needs to be bent inward to allow for the bigger 4406 case. I don’t really know how to explain how to do it, but it’s easy to see what has to be done when the case is in.
Here is what it looks like with the case in:
transfercase_005_Medium_.jpg

9. On the 4406 case there are two tabs on the top that need to be ground or cut off so they don’t hit the body. Do that now. You need to "clearance" your body to clear the case. Turdle was nice enough to post a picture with where to hit:

attachment.php

tcase3.jpg

10. Making sure the alignment pin is in the case or the transmission, put sealant on the transmission flange and put the 4406 case on the output shaft of the transmission and push it up on the alignment pin. Install the lower four bolts.

11. Install the shift linkage on the transmission using the two 21mm bolts. Leave the stick off at this point. There is a wiring connector in the way of this linkage held on by two 10mm bolts. Remove both bolts, push the connector forward and hold it on with one bolt in the forward hole. There are two blind holes on the tail shaft housing to bolt the linkage to. Push the link bar over the barbed head on the transfer case.
transfercase_008_Medium_.jpg

transfercase_016_Medium_.jpg

12. Re install the gas tank bracket, it may take several attempts to make it clear the case, I had to try two or three times. Don't forget to tighten the rear strap bolt.

13. Inside the cab install the upper two bolts in the transfer case.

14. Looking inside the transmission hump, through the access panel, decide where to cut to allow for the shift rod. This is a personal preference on how you do so. After the hole is cut, make sure the stick doesn’t hit the body in any position. I used a BFH to finesse my opening.
transfercase_017_Medium_.jpg

15. You may want to fashion a cover to limit mud water and air from entering the cabin, just make certain it doesn’t interfere with the shifter function. Yes, that is a license plate I used to make my cover.
transfercase_022_Medium_.jpg

16. Remove the stick and lay the carpet back down. Feel for the opening and cut the carpet to allow the shift stick to pass trough the carpet. I made my cut put the stick through the carpet, let the carpet down, and then installed the bolt that holds the stick to the linkage.
transfercase_009_Medium_.jpg

17. Install the rear driveshaft- slip the splined end in the rear of the transfer case and bolt the driveshaft to the rear end. I put the case in neutral to allow me to rotate the driveshaft to line up the bolt holes.

18. Put the conversion U Joint in one end of the front driveshaft. Reuse the original clamps to attach the front of the driveshaft to the front axle. Use the bolts leftover from the original rear driveshaft to attach the rear flange to the output of the transfer case. I found it easier to line up the bolt holes by leaving the case in neutral, then putting it in gear to torque the bolts.

19. Jack up all four wheels and have someone start the truck and put it in drive, check for binding or rubbing. I had to trim some of the plastic shield off of my gas tank.
transfercase_004_Medium_.jpg

20. Install the shifter boot, knob, trim, console, seats etc.
attachment.php

21. Go Wheelin!

Question which one of these would be the best to use?

manual shift, ID XL34-7A195-AB
manual shift, ID XL34-7A195-AC

Got another question which motor should the transfer case come from 4.6 or 5.4?

OH shift lights I can do and will, I have done them before and understand how the dash pot works :)
1 wire to the light = should work perfect.

I went to my friend at Ford, um the 97-03 F-150 manual shifter parts are labeled "Do not replace" meaning they don't make them. He said not one dealer in the country has these parts in inventory.

the search continues! I know 97V8 said he bought his from Ford, well I am SOL on that route!!

I have been searching for pictures of older F-150 and Bronco transfer cases, looking for one with a tailhousing and speed sensor that will work so I can track one down.

I am also searching for pictures of the FSB manual T case shift linkage, but I may just have to go pull one from my local U pull it and see if it can work myself.

fire up the welder!

Got a question that I also asked Mountaineer Green, which one of these transfer cases would be best?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question which one of these would be the best to use?

The transfer case 4406 is used behind the 4.6 not the 5.4 engine
MOST of the 5.4 trucks used a 4407 t case which is much larger

the 4.6L trucks still used the 4r70w automatic (1/2 ton) which is same as our 5.0 explorers
the 5.4 triton used the 4r100 auto which is a much larger 3/4 ton transmission and thus they have a larger t case the 4407

Those part numbers you listed I would use the one with the lowest miles

Back