No Spark- where to start? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Spark- where to start?

It still no spark and no start

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It still no spark and no start
I suggest a compression test on at least one cylinder in both banks. That should indicate if the camshaft timing is off and whether or not there has been valve damage.

How are you determining that there is no spark?
Visually taking spark plug wire and checking it with a light tester or with a screw driver

How do i check if the ckp wire that send signal to the the pcm or the ignition coil working?

But i will do what you said first test fir compression

Yes the i can hear tne fuel pump and the check engine is gone due to the bzttery dying

How do i check if the ckp wire that send signal to the the pcm or the ignition coil working?
As someone already mentioned, it's hard to test. It really takes an oscilloscope to see what it's doing. You may be able to measure a small AC voltage (perhaps around 0.1V) between the two pins when cranking. I believe that this is a coil pickup, not a Hall sensor (because the schematic does not show any power connection), so you should see a resistance of about 2KOhm between the two pins. More importantly, check the connector and its continuity to the PCM -- pins 21 and 22. Also make sure that neither of the two wires is shorted to ground.

If you have a multi-meter I've tested my CKP for continuity by passing a magnet over the business end testing for a continuity tone between the 2 prongs. Not much to go wrong with these things and I believe they are a Hall Effect device. No voltage to speak off. Note that both its wires are the same color [black].

More likely a connection/wiring issue between the CPK and the PCM. You can test the connection back to the PCM with a multi-meter also. You'll need a pin-out for the PCM connector to know which wires go to the CKP.

I finally had the compression tested on one in each side and its very depressing right side is 40 and the left side is nothing, what does it means, and thanks for the info on cpk and pcm guys.

I finally had the compression tested on one in each side and its very depressing right side is 40 and the left side is nothing, what does it means, and thanks for the info on cpk and pcm guys.

It means you need a new engine. Sorry, broken/jumped timing chains, bent valves... Ugly.

Sorry about the bad results. Assuming the camshaft on the left side is still rotating then there is valve damage. On the right side the camshaft is out of time with the crankshaft but there probably is no valve damage. I suggest that you remove the oil filler cap, look thru the opening while rotating the crankshaft using the harmonic balancer retaining nut and verify the camshaft on the driver side still rotates.

Back