Roof Rail Separating | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rail Separating

Both of the black roof rack covers on my Explorer Sport keep coming loose (clips not holding) and popping up! I have taken it back (4) times and they replaced the clips, but they still come up. I went out at the local Ford Dealer to the line of new Explorers on the lot and (2) had the covers sticking up! I went over to the other ones that were not sticking up and pulled slightly. Some were tight and some came off easily! Now I am being told by Ford Customer Service that there is nothing they can do! REALLY! My $50K blows apart with wind or at the car wash and that is acceptable by Ford?
How many others have this issue?
Hi Mark
Did you grow up in Irvine CA? This is Steve Shiflett - now in Mesa AZ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both of the black roof rack covers on my Explorer Sport keep coming loose (clips not holding) and popping up! I have taken it back (4) times and they replaced the clips, but they still come up. I went out at the local Ford Dealer to the line of new Explorers on the lot and (2) had the covers sticking up! I went over to the other ones that were not sticking up and pulled slightly. Some were tight and some came off easily! Now I am being told by Ford Customer Service that there is nothing they can do! REALLY! My $50K blows apart with wind or at the car wash and that is acceptable by Ford?

Go back to the dealer and have them replace the whole kit, both sides. I had that happen many times on my 16 XLT and they finally just replaced everything. All was fine after that.

Welcome to the Forum Mark.:wave:
Any chance you could post a picture? There are a couple threads already on roof rack issues. Thanks.

Peter

I am having the same issue on our 2017 Sport. I have the factory premium care extended warranty but I was told it wasn't covered. I haven't found a clause in the terms and conditions contract that excludes it, so when I go back for the rear suspension recall, I'll bring it up again. I have looked on line but haven't quite figured out what part or clip I need for the roof rack, it doesn't look complicated and I am very handy, so not too worried. If anyone has pictures on how a 2017-19 forward roof rack clips on etc. and what causes the rear end to flop up it would be great. I could not find anything on You-Tube. I did attempt a repair with clear " Gorilla glue" and put a 10lb. weight and board overnight. It held great for 2 weeks, but I think the Florida sun just killed it.

I'd say it is unique to you as no one else has reported this issue. Have the dealer take a look at it before you try to do anything to it yourself.

Peter
Yes I also have the same problem. After car wash both top rail covers came off but they snap back on.

I'm not sure as to why there's more than one comment here stating that you have to "lower the headliner" to remove or replace the roof rails?

I was easily able to unsnap the outer covers on my 2018 (the same ones that are popping off unexpectedly for some writers here), and then all it took was a simple torx tool to unscrew the mounting bolts and lift-off each side rail base unit.

I did this because I wanted to remove what I considered to be useless siderails, when I first bought my own Explorer...

I'm not sure as to why there's more than one comment here stating that you have to "lower the headliner" to remove or replace the roof rails?

I was easily able to unsnap the outer covers on my 2018 (the same ones that are popping off unexpectedly for some writers here), and then all it took was a simple torx tool to unscrew the mounting bolts and lift-off each side rail base unit.

I did this because I wanted to remove what I considered to be useless siderails, when I first bought my own Explorer...

Any pics you can share? Thanks.

I'm sorry, but I never took any photos of it being apart, as I was removing it. However, I think the attached diagram will give an idea as to what the uncovered base looks like, as the image in the diagram is very accurate of what it really looks like, once you pull the decorative cover off.

This base is simply held on with some bolts; however, the one in the middle sticks up, and gives the appearance that it is screwed-in from underneath (hence probably why people might think the headliner must be removed to get at it?)... however, mine had a Torx pattern on the top of it, so all I did was put a matching Torx socket on it and unscrewed it in seconds! IF yours doesn't have the Torx pattern on the top, then just take a pair of ViceGrips and clamp them onto the bolt and try turning it counter-clockwise, and it should still come off easily!

Hope this all helps!

Roof Rack Siderail Retainer System.jpg

I'm sorry, but I never took any photos of it being apart, as I was removing it. However, I think the attached diagram will give an idea as to what the uncovered base looks like, as the image in the diagram is very accurate of what it really looks like, once you pull the decorative cover off.

This base is simply held on with some bolts; however, the one in the middle sticks up, and gives the appearance that it is screwed-in from underneath (hence probably why people might think the headliner must be removed to get at it?)... however, mine had a Torx pattern on the top of it, so all I did was put a matching Torx socket on it and unscrewed it in seconds! IF yours doesn't have the Torx pattern on the top, then just take a pair of ViceGrips and clamp them onto the bolt and try turning it counter-clockwise, and it should still come off easily!

Hope this all helps!

View attachment 171975

What did you use to fill in the holes?

Hi 15Limited,

After removing the two siderails, I replaced all of the original bolts with flat "button-cap" bolts of the same thread size, putting silicon sealer on the threads just as a safety measure. I then installed some professional-quality rubber trim strips that have OEM-approved 3M adhesive tape on the back. The only tricky part of this conversion was where the curved portion of the roofline meets the windshield, so I opted to order the two plastic pieces used on the PIU, and its been working fine ever since, come heat or rain. I detailed all this on another post somewhere here in the forum, but below is one of the photos of the front area, as well as where my rubber trim begins.

Others have done it in many other ways, all of which have worked for them as well; my method was simply chosen so as to not have to shell-out hundreds of dollars for a set of the original PIU trim pieces and retaining clips (we don't have any junkyards around here to pick through). Just the two front plastic pieces cost me over $100 as it was!

Explorer Roof Rail Delete Trim Pic.jpg

With my wife's 2017 XLT I noticed the drivers side roof rail was "wobbly" while I was helping her wax her Explorer. Unfortunately it was about 800 miles out of the 36/36 bumper to bumper warranty. They charged ~$130 for replacing fasteners/clips. It's still not tight by any means but they tell me that's as best as it's getting. These roof racks are totally useless, plus they probably hurt your gas mileage on the highway. We had a 93, 96, 2002 and still have a 2005 Explorer and the rood racks were always tight and you could actually use them.

Whimsey

I doubt the 2016/17 rails affect gas mileage much as they are solid, unlike the previous ones and the 2020 Explorer which had/have openings under within the rails. It's the crossbars that would affect the MPG.

Peter

Update on my roof rails popping off...

My Ford dealership says that their work instructions for this issue is to replace the old clips (white) with new oversized clips (gray). If the problem occurs again, replace the rail assembly and covers. So they've ordered a replacement for mine.

Took the Sport in today for some warranty work today. They are ordering new clips for my roof rails that keep popping up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I simply replaced the factory bolts with thread-matching flat-headed bolts, putting some black silicon sealer into the threads and into the opening before tightening securely; the sealer oozed out when the head tightened-up against the opening, thereby ensuring a reliable seal. I even put a bit of sealer over the top of the now-tightened bolts for good measure (although, in retrospect, that was probably overkill). To date, I've never had any leaks, regardless of if it was raining or just going through a carwash.

Back