• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer owner

noahb

Reaction score
City, State
bowling green, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer xls
Greetings. Found this forum after buying a cheap 03 Explorer 4x4 last week. Kinda wish I had found this site before I had bought it. lol...Thanks to all for the pointers on what to look for and how to fix it. Actually, it's a pretty sound, clean car and I love how it drives and rides...and it doesn't seem to have timing chain rattle at 161K. Much quieter than my 4.2 in my F150. Been changing all fluids and only real surprise is a broke left rear spring on the top coil; still rides and handles great, though. I'll replace both springs next week and may do the rear brakes and wheel bearings while at it. Previous owner rebuilt the front end last year. Luckily I can do this work myself, otherwise I can see how this could become a money pit real soon.

Welcome.

Welcome. 4.0 sohc or the V8?

I think any vehicle can be a money pit if you do not have the skills and tools to do your own maintenance/repairs.
I have seen quite a few for sale where the person had $1600 in "break" work. I guess if you don't know how to spell brake you probably shouldn't be trying to replace your own pads and rotors ;^)

Back