Cancelled orders?

Blue Lamp

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I've been reading about people canceling custom orders and going to a different dealership to purchase a 2020 on the lot.
I'm wondering how many people have actually done that and if they had a cash deposit with the original dealer, what happened to it?
I have A Plan so not much to really negotiate because of this rather long delay and lack of information or to be honest, misleading information provided by my dealer so I'm looking at my options.
Any additional negotiation benefits based on delay for anyone? Just curious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you signed a contract that states "non refundable deposit", you are entitled to your deposit back. Frankly being on A plan, the dealer should be happy to let you walk as they will make more money off selling it to someone off plan.

I never put a deposit down period (well with exception to our 2011). There is no reason to put it down since I never sign paperwork till delivery (therefore a deposit is refundable). And if it is refundable, than there is no reason to give them a penny.

I know you have been following my threads so I won't keep repeating myself. But 4 STs across 2 dealerships had ordered them for me and I walked away from all of them to get the one in VA. On my 2011, I went through this same painful process. Long holds, shipping delays etc. I found one at a different dealership exactly as I ordered it except for 1 additional item (don't even remember what it was). I walked into my ordering dealer, told them I'm canceling and wanted my money back. They wanted to know why.. just told them, it's taking too long. They processed my CC refund right there for $500 and I drove to the other dealership and bought it.

I did offer to put a deposit down on the ST in VA just so they wouldn't sell it from under me (being I had to book a flight and wait a week to get there) but they said, Absolutely not, we will hold it for you and nobody will test drive it or get in it.

Thank you for the good info! I'm writing this in the most complimentary way...
You are a force of nature in the vehicle buying world. Based on this, I believe your experience is truly unique and not readily duplicated by mere mortals!

Thank you for the good info! I'm writing this in the most complimentary way...
You are a force of nature in the vehicle buying world. Based on this, I believe your experience is truly unique and not readily duplicated by mere mortals!

To be honest, I don't really think my experiences are that rare. What I truly think happens is that the dealer requests the deposit and the average person (no offense to anyone here) thinks that it is required or the norm. Many don't order vehicles and just buy off the lot so they are not aware of what is and isn't normal. Just about all my experiences with the 2020 were done via email. Not once did I pick up the phone. And all dealers that I dealt with I went straight to the Sales Manager or the GM of the dealership. I looked up the "staff" of each dealership and all of them have the email addresses for all levels of management. It's best to deal with them and not a sales person. Get rid of the middle man, have a very to the point email sent in a professional text and usually this bypasses all the BS that one deals with in the normal sales experience.

I'm definitely not knocking anyone here when I post what I post. If you really think about my last post, it makes 100% perfect sense.

Now there are some rare occasions when I think that a deposit is warranted. Ordering a very odd ball combination where the dealer knows that it would be next to impossible to sell if you back out. But again on that, they'd have to get you to sign a "non refundable" receipt or contract. I know of someone who ordered a Crew Cab F550 chassis cab on a Lariat trim. He put down a deposit because 99.9% of people don't order dump trucks in Lariat trim. IF he backed out, that dealer would have one hell of a time selling it.

But reality is on any Explorer trim, with 250k a year being made, no dealer is going to have a hard time selling what you are passing on.

Hope whatever you decide to do works out for you!! I understand everyones frustration and it just sucks for you all. I can't say it wasn't to be expected but still not fun none the less.

To be honest, I don't really think my experiences are that rare. What I truly think happens is that the dealer requests the deposit and the average person (no offense to anyone here) thinks that it is required or the norm. Many don't order vehicles and just buy off the lot so they are not aware of what is and isn't normal. Just about all my experiences with the 2020 were done via email. Not once did I pick up the phone. And all dealers that I dealt with I went straight to the Sales Manager or the GM of the dealership. I looked up the "staff" of each dealership and all of them have the email addresses for all levels of management. It's best to deal with them and not a sales person. Get rid of the middle man, have a very to the point email sent in a professional text and usually this bypasses all the BS that one deals with in the normal sales experience.

I'm definitely not knocking anyone here when I post what I post. If you really think about my last post, it makes 100% perfect sense.

Now there are some rare occasions when I think that a deposit is warranted. Ordering a very odd ball combination where the dealer knows that it would be next to impossible to sell if you back out. But again on that, they'd have to get you to sign a "non refundable" receipt or contract. I know of someone who ordered a Crew Cab F550 chassis cab on a Lariat trim. He put down a deposit because 99.9% of people don't order dump trucks in Lariat trim. IF he backed out, that dealer would have one hell of a time selling it.

But reality is on any Explorer trim, with 250k a year being made, no dealer is going to have a hard time selling what you are passing on.

Hope whatever you decide to do works out for you!! I understand everyones frustration and it just sucks for you all. I can't say it wasn't to be expected but still not fun none the less.
Thanks... But I do think that the skill level you apply to your purchase is out of the ordinary and to be envied! I didn't have a problem putting a reasonable deposit down, I'm just wondering what really is normal for dealers and customers to deal with in this situation and what other people are finding success at. This forum is worth every penny :)

I've never put, or been asked for a deposit on a custom order. I have A Plan, ll mine have been something that could sell easy, and my last 2 purchases I actually didn't even end up taking that vehicle. This recent time around I actually ordered a Aviator, then ST, then they dealer traded for a in stock ST for me.

Back