Solved - AC Clutch Repair | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved AC Clutch Repair

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Coolbrz

Reaction score
City, State
Ormond Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer sport Trac
My AC was blowing warm air after I drove it for a bit. What I found wrong with it was
There's a clutch on the outside of the compressor wheel, the belt spins the wheel on the compressor. The clutch is a smaller metal plate on the outside of the wheel so when you turn on the AC a magnet draws the clutch in against the wheel which pumps the freon. Over time the clutch wheel wears down so the space between the clutch on the outside of the wheel is too large for the magnet to draw it in. So I grabbed the wheel with a large set of channel lock pliers and removed the outside nut on the clutch to remove it. There are some shims on the inside of the clutch to keep the space, which should be between .013 and .034 using a feeler gauge. My space had grown to .065. They say there can be between no shims and three or four shims when put together at the factory. Shims are little washers.
Mine had one shim, I removed it and returned to the space to .015. I wiped off the excess dirt and stuff off the wheels and put it back together and now my AC works fine.

My AC was blowing warm air after I drove it for a bit. What I found wrong with it was
There's a clutch on the outside of the compressor wheel, the belt spins the wheel on the compressor. The clutch is a smaller metal plate on the outside of the wheel so when you turn on the AC a magnet draws the clutch in against the wheel which pumps the freon. Over time the clutch wheel wears down so the space between the clutch on the outside of the wheel is too large for the magnet to draw it in. So I grabbed the wheel with a large set of channel lock pliers and removed the outside nut on the clutch to remove it. There are some shims on the inside of the clutch to keep the space, which should be between .013 and .034 using a feeler gauge. My space had grown to .065. They say there can be between no shims and three or four shims when put together at the factory. Shims are little washers.
Mine had one shim, I removed it and returned to the space to .015. I wiped off the excess dirt and stuff off the wheels and put it back together and now my AC works fine.
@Coolbrz
Good analysis! Usually, when an A/C clutch begins to slip, it gets replaced in total. They like to sell clutches! I am not knowledgeable enough to say whether those clutches have a lining material, but if they do, it just may be that your lining has worn to the point that removing shim(s) may soon result in metal-to-metal contact, which you will hear. Till that happens (if it happens), enjoy your A/C! imp

There is no lining material on the A/C clutch. The OP's observations on what their issue was is correct, however I would have just replaced the clutch as not only does the clutch wear, but the electro-magnet gets weak over time and the hub bearing wears out too.

The OP's solution will work for now, which may be good enough, but eventually the A/C clutch will need to be replaced. A new clutch includes everything needed, is relatively easy to change and costs around $30-$80. The OE Ford clutch assembly is crap anyway.

RockAuto $65.xx

47867__ra_p.jpg

Back