• Register Today It's free!

Sirius satellite issues

JimmyW

Reaction score
City, State
Helena, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
I have the Sirius XM package in my '19 Explorer Sport. Over the last month, I keep losing the satellite signal in various places around town, where the signal had been fine previously. I routinely get a message on the screen indicating "Satellite searching for Sirius." I've called Sirius several times and had repeated refresh signals sent to my radio. Finally, Sirius's upper level support suggested that I take the car to my dealer for repair/replacement. It goes in tomorrow.

I should point out that I sometimes receive a message that My phone (S10+) can't connect, although it will if I press the "Connect" button on the unit. I also lost my backup cam a few weeks ago, but reset the system by disconnecting a battery cable. Has anyone else suffered issues with Sirius or the info unit in a newer Explorer? If so, how was your issue resolved? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't recall another post about a 2019 with this issue. There is a thread on a different issue affecting the 2018 Explorer.
Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models

Peter

Thanks! I looked over the thread on the 2018 issues, and they are much like mine. The dealer hooked up his meter to the OBD and found no error codes. We also did a master reset. I haven't updated my software in a long time, so I'm trying to do that now; however, the unit just searches for updates for an hour and doesn't report anything. (The Ford update system is terrible, as you can only update by wifi, and will be pestered to sync every time the unit detects a network if you leave auto-update on!) Do you know how long the unit should search for updates before finding any?

Anyway, the dealer asked that I take pics when issues next arise, and he will ask Ford engineering for guidance on what to do. He said that he is helpless unless error codes exist.

As far as I know, Sync 3 updates are only available via the USB download. I don't believe the system is set up yet to handle software downloads directly to the vehicle. Seeing that you have a 2019, I would think that you have the latest software version for Sync 3. I believe my last update to the current version was about a year ago. Any available updates 'should' be listed in your owner.ford.com account.

Peter

As far as I know, Sync 3 updates are only available via the USB download. I don't believe the system is set up yet to handle software downloads directly to the vehicle. Seeing that you have a 2019, I would think that you have the latest software version for Sync 3. I believe my last update to the current version was about a year ago. Any available updates 'should' be listed in your owner.ford.com account.

Peter

Thanks again. Perhaps that's the case, but there is an option to check for updates, and the dealer seemed to think that I should try to update after connecting to wifi. However, I did check my account online and found that no SYNC updates were available, I guess I just need to see whether my issues recur and document them if they do. Downloading updates online certainly would be better than trying to do so through the vehicle.

SYNC Software won't make a darn of difference for a satellite signal issue. SYNC is just the head unit (ie user display) for Sirius. The Sirius receiver is in the radio (ACM). Totally different piece of hardware. Your dealer should know this....key is should.

Thanks. Yes, that's the key. As I mentioned, Sirius's upper level support said that my radio likely has a bad chip and should be replaced. And it's not just the radio, as the unit routinely disconnects my paired, default phone. The problem is that the dealer won't replace it without an error code. At this point, I'm okay with documenting the issue with screenshots and giving the dealer a chance to check with "engineering." However, my patience is limited, so I won't wait very long for a resolution.

I know this a older post, but on my 16 F150 there was a TSB for a similar issue with Sirius radio intermediate cutting out. The remedy was replacing the antenna with a newer or updated version if I recall, took the dealer 30 mins to complete.

Hope this help...

Back