Leaking Motor Mount | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking Motor Mount

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My only experience with changing motor mounts is on my old Acura TL, after trying the cheap eBay mounts I'd avoid them like the plague. They typically don't have the hydraulic function the OEM ones do. My car vibrated like a tractor at idle. I paid for OEM and switched them out they were so bad.

For anyone that wants to tackle the passenger side mount,its pretty straight forward. I had to return the aftermarket mount because since my mount was replaced with the revised mount under warranty the mounting would not fit. Ended up getting OEM parts from an online dealership for about $100. I ordered the mount & all bolts and nuts in case any were needed.

1: Unbolt and move the coolant tank out of the way, I was able to leave the hoses attached, no leakage.

2. Use an 18mm socket and remove the three bolts which attach the mount to the rail. (I used a 1/2 impact, deep socket and about 15" extension)

3: Place a jack below the engine ON LEVEL GROUND ( I figured this out the first time, engine will shift and require you to pull back in place. Not hard, but can be avoided), use a piece of wood between the timing cover and pan. Jack from this point but not much. Just enough to keep the weight off the engine mount.

4: Use a 15mm deep socket (I used 1/2 inch impact with about 15" extension) to remove the four nuts on the engine side

5: Remove mount

6: Install new mount

7: Reinstall the engine side nuts

8: Use a pry bar and a piece of wood against the strut tower to make any alignments

9: Start the three bolts on the rail side

10: Lower and remove the jack from below the engine

11: Toque all bolts and nuts down

12: Reinstall the coolant tank

Mine has just started leaking....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gDfyJZxaAmna1oG68
gDfyJZxaAmna1oG68

So just got the Ex back form the dealer and they had the new motor mount installed and the car back to me in half a day. I am happy with that :)

On a side note, I did not notice a difference in engine vibrations, so I would be willing to bet most owners would have no idea the mount had gone bad.

Hey everyone. So, I thought my coolant was leaking from somewhere when I changed my oil and saw fluid had been leaking on the passenger side and appeared kind of reddish. I couldn’t find anything leaking around the coolant reservoir, but did see it appeared wet around the engine mount? Could it be the engine mount that is leaking? Hard to see, but it is wet around a bolt and you can see where it ran down to underneath. Thanks
3EA1C35D-84F5-45B5-A37B-A7998DF1F24B.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum Lester. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one on the same issue.

Peter

Hey everyone. So, I thought my coolant was leaking from somewhere when I changed my oil and saw fluid had been leaking on the passenger side and appeared kind of reddish. I couldn’t find anything leaking around the coolant reservoir, but did see it appeared wet around the engine mount? Could it be the engine mount that is leaking? Hard to see, but it is wet around a bolt and you can see where it ran down to underneath. ThanksView attachment 180014
Same thing happened to mine, very thick red fluid that leaked all around the passenger side wheel well.

Same thing happened to mine, very thick red fluid that leaked all around the passenger side wheel well.
Did you fix it or get it done? If you had it done, do you remember what you paid? Thanks

i learned something new this week: there are hydraulic motor mounts on the Explorer. It's been at least a dozen years since my shadetree mechanicing had me even looking at motor mounts- and those weren't hydraulic. I didn't know that was a thing. Sounds like they fail often.
PA state safety inspection just flagged mine. Ford Service Dept is asking ~$280 to do the job (passenger side mount). I'm shaking my head. The parts guy at my local dealership said they sell one per week. Seems like FoMoCo is using something like this for the purpose of it requiring replacement. Listing at $120+, maybe they're slowly generating revenue. I'm a little disgusted that this had to be replaced. But, I noticed the leak (all over the passenger side fender well) two days ago; so, it's undisputable. 5 -yr old car (nearly to the day I took delivery) and <90,000 miles of highway and city street driving and needs a motor mount. I'm not impressed with Ford quality. Used to like Ford before I bought this Explorer.

Passenger side motor mount leaking oil all over the frame and dripping in the garage. It is covered under the ESP Premium Care warranty BUT my local Ford service department has 123 on back order. I was told there are over 5600 on backorder nationwide. Sounds like there is a definite problem with them. I searched the forum and there are references to leaking mounts back as far as 2017. Seems that Ford would have solved the issue by now. I had to go to my local independent shop to have it replaced with an aftermarket part. Will be submitting paperwork to Ford Premium Care for reimbursement.

With that many backordered I wonder if Ford will issue a recall on this part?

Passenger side motor mount leaking oil all over the frame and dripping in the garage. It is covered under the ESP Premium Care warranty BUT my local Ford service department has 123 on back order. I was told there are over 5600 on backorder nationwide. Sounds like there is a definite problem with them. I searched the forum and there are references to leaking mounts back as far as 2017. Seems that Ford would have solved the issue by now. I had to go to my local independent shop to have it replaced with an aftermarket part. Will be submitting paperwork to Ford Premium Care for reimbursement.

With that many backordered I wonder if Ford will issue a recall on this part?

Its not a safety concern so no recall. Look online for parts. Aftermarket stuff is junk.

I have a 2016 ford explorer base still under payments.
i always have my oil changes at the dealer and a few at my mechanic with mobil 1
my suv started to shake when braking i took it to a shop and they resurface the rotors later the same day i took my truck for the first time to a mobile 1 express lube. i'm new to this place and they put the synthetic blend oil i guess from the big tanks. i was hoping for the mobile 1 but because never been there before i let them put what they told me manufacters recomendation
after leaving i heard a humming noise when accelerating i google search and maybe the ac engine air filter i remove it and replaced noise is gone
but i still hear the noise between 40 50 mph. very strange after checking oil level they overfillled a little bit i drained it to the max level. belt noise started and a small buffing noise started at every morning at cold start
but after that day i checked my truck almost every day until i found this on the picture
i immediately google search and bring me to this forum. my explorer still runs like new. coolant reservoir looks normal and oil looks ok
no dash board lights. Im taking it monday to dealer for a diagnostic hopefully is not something serious.
the leaking substance seens to be sticky btw but doesnt smell to me like coolant or burning

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you still have the shaking after the rotors were resurfaced? Are you able to tell where that "substance" is coming from?
Please report back after the dealer visit. Thanks.

Peter

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you still have the shaking after the rotors were resurfaced? Are you able to tell where that "substance" is coming from?
Please report back after the dealer visit. Thanks.

Peter
the resurfaced rotors worked fine.
after the dealer diagnosis the leak is coming from hydraulic engine mount is still very small leak i have to take it back because of the backorders shortages. ill guess just another thing to worry about

Back