Nav displayed traffic before... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nav displayed traffic before...

xxboarderxx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ex
Hi Everyone,

I live in Canada and I have the A4 Nav in my 2013 Explorer. Anyway, a few months back, I noticed while driving that my map was displaying traffic using colour overlay like Google map does. It was even displaying areas under construction. If I programmed in a destination, it would even suggest an alternate route if I didn't want to take a route that could delay me because of construction/accident. I had been driving the car for a year and had never seen this before and thought it was a pretty cool feature.

However, a few weeks later, the function seemed to have disappeared and I have not seen this again and was wondering how I was getting that information w/o a Sirius subscription.

I'd like it back but I've looked through every menu option and turned everything on/off and still do not see it.

Thanks!
X

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Free 6 month trial when new. Also, Sirius runs promo periods where the service is on for everyone as a trial.

Free 6 month trial when new. Also, Sirius runs promo periods where the service is on for everyone as a trial.

I thought the 'information' part of Sync / Sirius is for 5 years - just the entertainment is for 6 months. The owners' manual is less than clear as to who provides what - there is mention of traffic in Sync section, as well as Sirius.

There's a disclaimer that the traffic services from Sync are US only - given the original poster is in CA, that may be the issue.

My guess is that it was a free trial period that Sirius has from time to time. Unfortunately I think these trials are a bit of a farce since there is never any advanced notification given. I found out about it once by reading a post here but it was toward the end of the trial.

Peter

Sync Services is totally different than the travel link information provided by Sirius.

The owners' manual is less than clear as to who provides what - there is mention of traffic in Sync section, as well as Sirius.
Nav overlay of traffic is Sirius. 6 months free when new.

The only thing I had for 6 months free was the Sirius/XM radio. Nothing else on either the 2011 Explorer I had nor on my current MKT.

Peter

Hi Everyone,

I live in Canada and I have the A4 Nav in my 2013 Explorer. Anyway, a few months back, I noticed while driving that my map was displaying traffic using colour overlay like Google map does. It was even displaying areas under construction. If I programmed in a destination, it would even suggest an alternate route if I didn't want to take a route that could delay me because of construction/accident. I had been driving the car for a year and had never seen this before and thought it was a pretty cool feature.

However, a few weeks later, the function seemed to have disappeared and I have not seen this again and was wondering how I was getting that information w/o a Sirius subscription.

I'd like it back but I've looked through every menu option and turned everything on/off and still do not see it.

Thanks!
X

Hey X,

182RG and Peter are more than likely correct that this was a free preview. Some areas in Canada will be able to utilize it when they turn on the radios in the U.S.

I thought the 'information' part of Sync / Sirius is for 5 years - just the entertainment is for 6 months. The owners' manual is less than clear as to who provides what - there is mention of traffic in Sync section, as well as Sirius.

There's a disclaimer that the traffic services from Sync are US only - given the original poster is in CA, that may be the issue.

You are correct about 5 years, but I would like to add that it's starting with 2015 vehicles. SYNC Services is handle by me (Ford), and Sirius Travel Link and SiriusXM Radio is handle by SiriusXM. Here's a link to an overview of SYNC Services:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/sync-services-overview-sync-myford-touch

And this is a pretty cool link to SiriusXM's site:

http://www.siriusxm.com/infotainment?desktop=yes

It'll tell you about all of the Travel Link features. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions. :)

My guess is that it was a free trial period that Sirius has from time to time. Unfortunately I think these trials are a bit of a farce since there is never any advanced notification given. I found out about it once by reading a post here but it was toward the end of the trial.

Peter

They usually announce the previews the day of or the day before on their Facebook page; that's generally how I know about it. Here's a link if you want to "Like" their page:

https://www.facebook.com/siriusxm

Nav overlay of traffic is Sirius. 6 months free when new.

You are also correct, but SiriusXM announce via a press release that they are extending the free Travel Link trial for 2015 vehicles to 5 years. Take a look:

http://investor.siriusxm.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=855681

As always, if any of you have further questions for me, don't hesitate to tag (using my name or handle) or PM me. :)

Rebecca

2015 Limited with nav lost the traffic feed suddenly last week.
Typically it showed the flow along with accidents etc.

I have the latest SYNC installed but traffic is gone.
Otherwise the nav works.
Car turned 5 last week.
Can anyone report a similar problem? Or a solution?

Thanks

^^ Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature.
Unless you have taken out a new susbscription the free one expired after 5 years. It was extended to 5 years beginning with the 2015 Explorers. See post #11.

Peter

^^ Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature.
Unless you have taken out a new subscription, the free one expired after 5 years. It was extended to 5 years beginning with the 2015 Explorers. See post #11.

Peter
Thank you for the info. Makes sense. Unfortunately Ford has made a mess of this with the lack of communication.
I used their SYNC help area on- line chat and was told to 1. Update SYNC and 2. Get the latest map version. $149.
Neither of these would have solved the disappearing feed.

Thanks again

Thank you for the info. Makes sense. Unfortunately Ford has made a mess of this with the lack of communication.
I used their SYNC help area on- line chat and was told to 1. Update SYNC and 2. Get the latest map version. $149.
Neither of these would have solved the disappearing feed.

Thanks again
I have the latest update, maps, and a subscription, and it doesn't display. I should probably go cancel that, now that I think about it.

I brought the traffic feed back, $5.95/month from Sirius added it to my existing account.
Have had it for maybe 5 days. So far it does not reflect current traffic flow on the Interstates. This AM where the old feed would have been yellow and red for slow and stopped traffic the map was all green.
So the questions will be, where are the getting the feed and and is there really a feed?

NOT HAPPY WITH THESE RESULTS

Back