Time for tires | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Recently had Michelin Defenders put on. The Premier tire reviews were mediocre at best - and to be honest the Defenders fit the NorthEast climate just a tad better.

So far they are miles ahead of the Hankooks they replaced. I was at 29k miles. Ride quality is better, handling is a little worse, and noise is about the same. I would recommend this tire easily for this climate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OEM Replacement Tire Recommendations

255/55/R20

The stock Hancooks are unavailable.

2013 Explorer Sport.

I was looking at the Goodyear Eagle Sport?

Anyone have photos?

^^ Your thread was merged with this one. I believe the OEM size is 255/50R20. According to all the negative posts here on the Hankooks, it may be a good thing that they are unavailable.

Peter

OEM Replacement Tire Recommendations

255/55/R20

The stock Hancooks are unavailable.

2013 Explorer Sport.

I was looking at the Goodyear Eagle Sport?

Anyone have photos?

Good luck. I was looking for Eagle's for mine but I couldn't find them in that size. GY did not show making them in 255/50/R20. I ended up going to Pirelli's.

As to recommendation, I would recommend NOT buying anything Firestone or related. I had 3 blowouts of Firestone tires over the years. One of them was a hole about the size of your little finger. I learned my lesson.

YMMV

I'm still very happy with my BFG Advantage T/A Sport

I second Jon M on the BFG Advantage T/A Sport Tire. Very quiet, smooth ride. Holds the corners very well, especially up here in the Western North Carolina mountains.

Need new all-season tires for 2013 Explorer Sport w/3" lift kit

I put a 3" lift kit on my '13 Explorer Sport before winter and put 265/50/20 Blizzak's on

Wow! Pics? Newver mind

Be thankful that the Hankooks are showing not available......Bridgestone Duelers or Michelin Premier LTX would be my recommendation.

I've always had Michelin's on my vehicles but my last set of Michelin LTX M/S on my Exploder began to dry rot after only three years and are to dangerous to drive on outside my property at 6 years old. Still have about 20k miles of tread left but I just don't trust them. Been looking at some Pirelli Scorpions but not sure whether I want the ATR or All Terrain Plus. What are some other good tire options...

Plenty of tire options posted in this thread Rick. Are these for your '97 Explorer?

Peter

Yes, I've read lots of reports from Michelin owners about dry rotting on these tires. A Michelin rep looked at them and considered the dry rot minimal and normal for these tires. I, like many others, don't agree. What about Nexen tires, seems a lot of people have reported good experience with them.

For what it's worth, when I'm in the market for tires, I always read actual customer reviews on the various tire sites for some guidance. Since I lease and don't drive much, I doubt I'll be anything except Winter tires since the same set has been on 2 vehicles now.:)

Peter

Looking to replace the tires on my 2014 explorer 4x4 limited. Both city and hwy driving. All season. Don't want to go cheap but don't want to break the bank. I'm in Cleveland ,OH and have all kinds of crazy weather here. So I need them to handle well in all conditions. Not wear my brakes and be quiet and smooth. I'm tired of just going in somewhere and being told what I need. Getting ripped off and ending up with a crappy tire. Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to the Forum Tara.:wave:
You should be able to find several recommendations in this thread. It sounds like what you are looking for is an All Weather tire. Please recommend all weather tires! Good luck.

Peter

I just put on some 295/45R20 Toyo Proxes STIII's, love them so far. Quiet and the grip on these wide tires is amazing.

Tell me what tires you guys like, I need to replace my crappy factory tires again.

Tell me what tires you guys like, I need to replace my crappy factory tires again.
Your thread was merged with this one found with the 'Search' feature.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I've read lots of reports from Michelin owners about dry rotting on these tires. A Michelin rep looked at them and considered the dry rot minimal and normal for these tires. I, like many others, don't agree. What about Nexen tires, seems a lot of people have reported good experience with them.

There's always a tradeoff in engineering. While I'm not excusing the weather cracking issue on the Michelin's, their tread compound is what allows the tire to last so long and allows them to offer one of the best treadlife warranties that I've come across. I've got the same issue on some ~6 year old LTX M/S^2 tires, but I'm going to ride them out until I start noticing a significant leak which would indicate the cracking has started to fully breach the tire. With that said, I don't take them on long road trips, etc, mostly city driving.

Back