• Register Today It's free!

1999 XLT - SAS Considerations?

kythri

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
So, I'm considering a SAS on my '99, and I've been reading a bunch of SAS build threads, but there really seems to be little consistency with how people are doing these - donor parts are all over the place.

That's not a bad thing, necessarily - it basically gives me a bunch of options, but now I'm running into the headache of which way to go.

Ultimately, I need to knuckle down and start collecting parts, but making up my mind on how to proceed is proving difficult.

I had seriously thought an early Bronco Dana44 would be the bee's knees, but those really don't seem all that available, and sometimes it seems that I can read 20 build threads, and there are 20 different axle applications being used.

I'd like to keep the 8.8 in the rear, I'd like to keep stock width, and I'd like to keep stock bolt pattern for the wheels, and, (irrationally, to be sure), I'd like the donor axle to be a Ford part (but, I'm willing to consider alternatives).

So, with that said, if you were going to do, or already have done, a SAS on Gen2, what donor axle would you use, and why?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front axle, configuration, etc., choice is all up to you and your budget.

Which is why I'm fishing for suggestions...

What kind of budget and fabrication skills do you have? What do you want to get out of it, what do you want to use it for? We need some more information to suggest something. Without anything to go on I'll say go for an IFS build like a lot of ULTRA4 cars are using now.

You should also plan on building it to your most extreme type of off-roading. It will save you a ton of time and money if you don't have to redo it every few years.

Budget isn't unlimited, but I'm willing to pay to play.

My fabrication skills are, at present, virtually non-existent, but I can get needed work done.

If i were going to do a SAS and I had to keep it Ford and close to stock width I'd find a '76/'77 Dana 44 from a F150 and narrow the long side axle tube (~6") to early Bronco width. That way you can buy an early Bronco axle shaft. You can also narrow a '78/'79 axle but the wedges for the radius arms are casted on.

If your fab skills are non existent I think you'll be over your head.

You can just about use any axle you want. Everyone does things a little different.

If you are not going to do the work yourself, you need to start talking with the builder you are going to use. Their buy-in is almost as important as your preferences.

Back