Interior Panel Fuse 4 pops as soon as power is applied. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Panel Fuse 4 pops as soon as power is applied.

El Guapo 2014

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I have Fuse 4 on the Interior Panel keep popping as soon as power is applied (battery reconnected)

Fuse 4 is for the On Demand overhead lights, the visor lights, glove box, cargo lights.

From what I have researched it is likely a shorted ground.

Some background of recent work, not sure if it helps anyone.
Recently had the dealer do the exhaust fume recall service.
I also had a local mechanic replace the dreaded water pump.

After this work was when I noticed the problem but not exactly sure when it started so can't really blame either of them for nicking something or leaving a loose ground somehow.

I didn't notice the lights not working because the overhead lights come on when the door opens, just not on demand. The glove box and visor lights don't come on at all (obviously because of the blown fuse)

I have found the wiring diagrams which seem to show ground wire G233 for all of these components connected to G300.

I still am not sure how to fix this. Any ideas or tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Screenshot_20190825-175244.png

Screenshot_20190825-170530.png

Just to rule it out, you could remove the bulbs for the sections that are affected, which are easy to reach (overheads, maps, visors, glove box), to see if it's to do with a bad bulb that's sending power to the ground and is thus shorting the fuse.

My bet would be the fume recall. Start in the rear and pop off the plastic panels. Do you have a volt ohm meter? If so start by pulling all the bulbs and read both sides to ground. If not then pull the plastic panels and look for a nicked wire by one of the push pins.

Thanks, yes, I have a decent multimeter. I was thinking the same thing. That they may have nicked something doing whatever it is they did for the fume recall. I really dislike my dealer and service department where I bought this vehicle. I should take it back there but I really don't ever want to deal with them again. They rarely get it right.

Back