• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Range

splash5

Reaction score
City, State
West Fargo ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I have the ford 2way remote, the range is awful and the deal seems to think this is ok. i can't get it to start while its parked in my my driveway from in the house.

can other users please let me know what range they are getting with theres?

FORD TEAM what range should they be getting? i want real numbers to give the service dept so they can fix it or replace it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the ford 2way remote, the range is awful and the deal seems to think this is ok. i can't get it to start while its parked in my my driveway from in the house.

can other users please let me know what range they are getting with theres?

FORD TEAM what range should they be getting? i want real numbers to give the service dept so they can fix it or replace it.

My range is fine. Make sure you are pressing the sequence properly. It takes a bit of practice to get the right timing down. So.... Press the lock button once, then the remote start twice. The key for me was doing the sequence in quick succession - not waiting for even a split second between pressing the buttons.

sequence isn't the problem, its the range of the system.

it starts every time if I'm 2ft away from it.

also it sounds like you have the one built into the key its self not the 2 way fob.

OK - so these may be silly questions, and maybe not -

Which Ford 2 way remote do you have? Model 200? 300? I have the series 300.

Do you have the separate antenna mounted in the center of the windshield below the rear view mirror, that looks like the key fob remote? There should be one there. The wire should run up into the headliner, down the A-pillar, and into a separate control unit under the dash. I'd confirm it is mounted and plugged into the control unit.

I'm getting consistent starts from 2 city blocks away from my Explorer, with it on the 4th level of a parking garage, backed up against the outside wall that has is pretty wide open. I've also gotten starts from about 100 feet away through while inside a Home Depot.

While the range is "up to 1,000 feet" I do not get starts from up in my building, line of site to the garage about 500 feet away. But to do that the signal would have to bounce around into the garage, or penetrate one parking level. Not nearly enough power in the remote to do that.

OK - so these may be silly questions, and maybe not -

Which Ford 2 way remote do you have? Model 200? 300? I have the series 300.

Do you have the separate antenna mounted in the center of the windshield below the rear view mirror, that looks like the key fob remote? There should be one there. The wire should run up into the headliner, down the A-pillar, and into a separate control unit under the dash. I'd confirm it is mounted and plugged into the control unit.

I'm getting consistent starts from 2 city blocks away from my Explorer, with it on the 4th level of a parking garage, backed up against the outside wall that has is pretty wide open. I've also gotten starts from about 100 feet away through while inside a Home Depot.

While the range is "up to 1,000 feet" I do not get starts from up in my building, line of site to the garage about 500 feet away. But to do that the signal would have to bounce around into the garage, or penetrate one parking level. Not nearly enough power in the remote to do that.

I'm pleased that yours works, i think mine is a 200 series?

Thanks for the reply, yup thats the same style as the one i have. The local dealer (not where i got my EX) keeps saying it works fine, just wants to upsell me to astro start and says the poor range is normal. Is there a 300 series I've googled it and can't find anything about a 300? i can only find the 100, and the 200 do you maybe have a photo of your fob so i can show the dealer?

I'm pleased that yours works, i think mine is a 200 series?

Thanks for the reply, yup thats the same style as the one i have. The local dealer (not where i got my EX) keeps saying it works fine, just wants to upsell me to astro start and says the poor range is normal. Is there a 300 series I've googled it and can't find anything about a 300? i can only find the 100, and the 200 do you maybe have a photo of your fob so i can show the dealer?

Check out this thread 3 Ford Accessory Remote Starts for XLT - which did you choose? The difference between the 200 and 300 is that the 200 has the shock sensor/alarm. My key fob is the one pictured.

I used mine last night from inside a grocery store through a couple walls and about 100 ft to the car. Started right up and gave me the feedback on the fob.

I guess I'd first change the battery in the fob to make sure you have full juice. If that didn't work, I'd take it in for warranty work. My suspicion is that there is something wrong with your in-vehicle antenna, or antenna connection, if you are only getting a couple foot range.

But whatever it is, it's not right. I get at least 600 ft out in the open.

Hi,
I'm owning the FE 2013 Limited with 5 buttions key fob.
Remote start works perfectly fine for me but with one disadvantage - the range is too low... How I can increase the range of remote start?
I can see on a Ford site an accessories like - Remote Start System - Bi-Directional Plug-N-Play Part No: BB5Z-19G364-E, but not sure that this is the correct one for me as looks like it's for the vehicle without remote start at all...

Any idea?

Thanks!

Hi, new to the forum. Just picked up a 2012 explorer limited as my new family car. Happy with it so far however having a few small issues hoping you can help with, I have done some searching but wanted to ask too.

The factory installed remote start doesn't seem to start on the first try & only has a very short range on it, I'm talking less than 15 feet away from the car. Wondering if this could maybe just be something simple like a new battery? However it seems to be the same with both keys. I also looked at the remote start app kit but at $700 installed wanted to try other options first

Thanks
Shane

Hi, new to the forum. Just picked up a 2012 explorer limited as my new family car. Happy with it so far however having a few small issues hoping you can help with, I have done some searching but wanted to ask too.

The factory installed remote start doesn't seem to start on the first try & only has a very short range on it, I'm talking less than 15 feet away from the car. Wondering if this could maybe just be something simple like a new battery? However it seems to be the same with both keys. I also looked at the remote start app kit but at $700 installed wanted to try other options first

Thanks
Shane
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I believe the range is in the 300' neighbourhood. If neither fob battery has been changed in 4+ years that would be the place to start. Change one but don't remove any grease you may encounter. That is a very inexpensive first step.

Peter

Kind of in the same boat here, recent purchase of a 2013 Explorer Limited with the Intelligent Access Fob. Range on remote start and door lock/unlock just flat sucks, maybe 100 feet in clear line of sight at best. First thing I did was fresh batteries in both fobs, made almost no difference.
I've seen range extender antennas listed in Ford parts sites but they were listed for the 2018 model. Anyone know it there's a range extender that fits the 2013 models.
I came from a Chevy Tahoe with a DEI Viper unit that would start the thing a couple blocks away as long as there wasn't a solid metal structure between me and the truck, so this is very disappointing.

I'm curious about this too. I would like to start mine from a greater distance.

Make sure you don't have anything plugged into the USB ports or 12V outlets while the vehicle is shutoff regardless of whether those items plugged in are active or not.

Make sure you don't have anything plugged into the USB ports or 12V outlets while the vehicle is shutoff regardless of whether those items plugged in are active or not.

I'm not doubting this warning, just curious how something plugged into a USB outlet affects the keyless entry or remote start systems? Can you be more detailed about why this is a problem?

There has been discussion about it in the past. It is an issue for some.

Back