Frustrated with recurring codes on 2007 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frustrated with recurring codes on 2007 Explorer XLT

Chuck29414

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT
I have a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 2wd with 110k miles. It's been throwing codes for misfires on certain cylinders and misfire for first 1000 revolution. I clear the codes but they eventually come back.It also has an occasional transmission light that will go on for a second and then go off. Here's what's been replaced... Plugs, plug wires, and solenoid pack on transmission. Also had fresh fluid and filter in transmission. It has also had fuel system cleaned. It runs good overall. It sputters for a second when first started but clears immediately when given a little gas. After that it runs flawlessly. Transmission also shifts good with no slipping or clunks. What is going on here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mentioned plug wires so I assume this is a V6. On my V8 misfires that actually log a code would point me toward a coil. I think you only have one coil - you might look at that but I'm not that familiar with the V6.

You mentioned plug wires so I assume this is a V6. On my V8 misfires that actually log a code would point me toward a coil. I think you only have one coil - you might look at that but I'm not that familiar with the V6.
Thank you for the reply but it has plug wires.

Wasn't aware there is a transmission light on any of the Explorer models. Do you mean the O/D light?

Wasn't aware there is a transmission light on any of the Explorer models. Do you mean the O/D light?
No it's the light that looks like a wrench. It's for transmission codes.

Got it!

That could be an indicator of several different problems. Have you had the codes read to see what exactly is the code you have to continue to clear?

I had the codes ran and it was for overheating transmission and low pressure or something like that. Transmission shop recommended solenoid pack which I had replaced. Also had fluid change and filter. They warned it might not make codes go away and they were right. It's very frustrating. Codes went away for a day and then wrench light came back. I have not had the coded checked again yet.

Do you have an autoparts store nearby? They'll read them for free. Get the numbers and post them and someone should be able to help diagnose the possible issues. You might have a fuel problem since you said it stumbles when first started.

I don't think I'd go back to that transmission place.

I'm not really blaming the transmission shop because two other places gave me the same codes and diagnostics. He was up front that it may not fix the issue and said he has had problems with Explorer transmissions of this era in the past. He didn't try to talk me into the repair. Do you know what other types of codes could come up from the wrench light? Thanks

I don't have a list but google will be able to tell you.

Meanwhile, take a look at this thread: "Powertrain malfunction indicator" (wrench light)

You're going to need to do some research for the codes but first you need to get the codes read and find out the numbers so you can research easier.

It will also help to put your vehicle specifics in your signature so others can help you easier.

Back