Looking at a 16 and 17 Explorer XLT tomorrow... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at a 16 and 17 Explorer XLT tomorrow...

Tricon916

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 F250 6.7L
Anything I should specifically be looking for? The 16 is a 3.5L and the 17 is a 2.3L Ecoboost. They are pretty much identical, other than Sync 3 in the 17. I have a 17 F250 diesel and am more than comfortable in FORscan, so I dont mind adding Sync 3 later if my wife wants it.

Is there anything material that's different between the two other than Sync? I'll be replacing the whole stereo as well, the Sony system is garbage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had no complaints about the 2.3L in my vehicle--I think it's a superior choice as it lacks the water pump issue and drives a bit lighter than the 3.5L V6. But, the 3.5L is a little bit more refined.

If going for an AWD, be careful with the PTU. Personal opinion is that the PTU's fluid should be changed no later than about 50k. If it's high mileage on original PTU fluid, be careful.

Go 2.3 all the way. Eliminates internal water pump and gets sync 3. That right there is 2 big +s.

Sounds like Ill check out the Ecoboost first. Its about $3k more, but 15k miles instead of 32k, and I like the mpg/power better. Sounds like it might be worth it.

I picked up the 17 Magnetic Grey Ecoboost, wow, really enjoying this car so far. Dual moon roof, black leather, 2.3L EB, FWD, Sync 3 with NAV, tow package, BLIS, Auto tailgate. 15k miles and I got it for $25k out the door. Stoked on it and the wife is super happy.

Looking at some Velgen VMB5 20x10.5 Bronze rims, new stereo components, and a tailgate bumper protector. Any other accessories I should take a look at?

I picked up the 17 Magnetic Grey Ecoboost, wow, really enjoying this car so far. Dual moon roof, black leather, 2.3L EB, FWD, Sync 3 with NAV, tow package, BLIS, Auto tailgate. 15k miles and I got it for $25k out the door. Stoked on it and the wife is super happy.

Looking at some Velgen VMB5 20x10.5 Bronze rims, new stereo components, and a tailgate bumper protector. Any other accessories I should take a look at?

Congrats! I'd convert all the lights you can to LED. Specifically the puddle lights. Very easy to switch out.

Congrats.. so you bonus by having fwd and not worrying about the ptu blowing up. You should have a very dependable ride with what you chose. Enjoy it!!

Thanks for the insight, I was looking at an AWD and the V6 before I started reading issues about the PTU and water pumps here. I plan on having this car for many years, so reliability was really high on our list.

I'll check out the LED swap, I'm guessing most are the T10 type wedges? Off to google...

Thanks for the insight, I was looking at an AWD and the V6 before I started reading issues about the PTU and water pumps here. I plan on having this car for many years, so reliability was really high on our list.

I'll check out the LED swap, I'm guessing most are the T10 type wedges? Off to google...
No need to go to Google. There are quite a few threads on changing to LED in the 'Modified' subform c/w pics and item numbers.

Peter

I figured out the map and 2nd row pretty easily. I have a bag of those 194 COB type LEDs from other projects, so got those swapped. Just trying to figure out the rear cargo light. Ordered some more puddle LEDs too, thanks for the help!

Back