Engine Cooling Fans

Querys

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer Limited
Hello Members,

due to missing other Explorers in Germany for comparison I want to ask if this is normal behaviour or if it is unusual.

While idling or driving at slow speed and AC on the Fans are blowing on high speed on a regular basis every minute or so (approx. every 30-60 Seconds it turns on-off-on-off and so on).
Today I was wondering, because I had a blown fuse for the fans and during pushing a trailer backwards the cooland boiled over.

Is this normal or strange?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I'm in the vehicle I can't really tell what the fans are doing. I would think that turning ON/OFF would be normal since I believe they are likely tied to engine/coolant temperature. There have been very few posts here that I can recall about coolant actually boiling over. Have you done this type of 'pushing' before? I wonder if it is a thermostat problem. Hopefully others can give their thoughts on this.

Peter

A/C will trigger the radiator fans at lower vehicle speeds. Sounds like normal cycling.

I would keep an eye on the blown fuse however. Was it just one blown fuse that was replaced and hasn't happened since?

A/C will trigger the radiator fans at lower vehicle speeds. Sounds like normal cycling.

I would keep an eye on the blown fuse however. Was it just one blown fuse that was replaced and hasn't happened since?

hmmm lower speed. For me it sounds like high speed. Low was what I expected, but yesterday after the blown fuse I started thinking about the behaviour.
This was the first blown fuse since I got the car last year in August. I will check today, if other fuses are concerned. Yesterday it was to late and dark to do further checks.

@peterk9: We use this trailer on a regular basis, and yes we often have to back up and do this kind of pushing. But it was the first time we experienced the blown fuse and as a result the cooland boiled over. Furthermore we had around 90°F/32°C yesterday.

Dear readers,
I fixed it!
The relay for engine cooling fan #1 and #2 low speed was damaged.
I exchanged the relay with the trailer battery charge relay which I do not need.

Now the fan is rotating on low speed when I turn on AC.
Thanks for the help

Pushing a trailer in reverse is extremely hard on the transmission...even if your fans were working correctly!

Pushing a trailer in reverse is extremely hard on the transmission...even if your fans were working correctly!
Of course! This is the reason why I bought this car, because pushing with a manual transmission is even worse.

Back