Carbon Monoxide Leak? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carbon Monoxide Leak?

What's ford's current fix? Yes i've seen the huge 95+ page thread and I have seen the Ford TSB'S

it seems its hit and miss if the tsb solves the issues or not, I just picked up a 2013 3.7 FWD PIU and noticed the smell coming into the cab and its strong.

EDIT

Sorry for the bump.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
No need to apologize. That is the way the Forum is supposed to work. Add a new post to an existing thread to bump it up rather than starting a new one on the same issue. As far as I know, there hasn't been a fix that has proved to be 100% successful with all those having the issue.
Thank you.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is definitely a serious issue that needs to be addressed. I have had the "fix" performed with no improvement in the exhaust odor in the vehicle. I am curious to see where Ford goes with this.

Big story tonight here in Dallas about an officer that passed out and ran up a curb due to a carbon monoxide leak into the cabin. All PIU's in Austin PD are now equipped with commercially available cm detectors and any PIU's ordered for any LE in the future must have cm detectors factory installed. There was an incident in San Antonio about an officer that got sick and went to the doctor and was diagnosed with high levels of cm in his blood. I am in Dallas and all PIUs are be retro'd with cm detectors.

And the officer that passed out is now suing Ford. Ford better get a handle on this thing quickly.

The heat is on Ford now, thank god! I hope we see a fix.

Considering the mention of cracked manifolds at the end of the article I thought I should bring this up.

One buyer of a PI sedan Ecoboost was lacking performance/boost. Dealer he took it to after sacrificing a second set of turbos discovered welded rather than cast exhaust manifolds that were breaking up and shedding metal bits into the turbos. So if the PIU has the welded up manifolds they may be breaking up and cracking externally as well as internally.
Photos here https://www.fordtaurus.net/forums/v...&sid=5dc654a9efe04f1fc8197c2749f4130c#p120118

I found this, this morning about a possible fix. You guys that have lights and things, might want to look and see if yours is like the pictures....supposedly that is where its coming in.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-police-cruiser-carbon-monoxide-leaking/?ftag=YHF4eb9d17&yptr=yahoo

Ford's PR Department has been sending the message that CO leaks occur only in PIU's where they are caused by aftermarket add-ons and upfitting that leave holes unsealed in the body. But Ford's latest TSB 17-0044 on fixing odor leaks specifies 16 pages of other repairs, most of which involve adding sealant where none currently exists, such as along body seams, around wheel wells, and around the many holes drilled by Ford in the rear door, behind the tail lights, and underneath the body.

For example, there are 18 holes in the rear door just to hold the Ford Explorer lettering and logo, and each one needs to be sealed from the backside.

http://www.mhq.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/TSB-17-0044-Exhaust-Odor-in-Vehicle.pdf

The TSB also directs dealers to replace some parts with new versions, such as the rear air extractors, fasteners for the rear spoiler (which now have gas-tight washers) and the exhaust tips (which now have a 2nd hole facing down). This shows that Ford recognizes that some of its original parts are contributing to the "odor" problem and need to be replaced, regardless of their condition, just as the HVAC needs to be "reprogrammed." Other parts, like the exhaust manifold, are supposed to be visually inspected but not replaced unless found to be leaking.

But none of Ford's public statements acknowledge any flaw that may be Ford's fault except the cracked manifolds. Nor has Ford yet announced publicly that it issued another TSB in August instructing its dealers to fully refund all owners of civilian Ford Explorers for any exhaust odor repairs they may have paid for in the past under either TSB17-0044 or 16-0166.

http://www.mhq.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Advance-Notice-Supplement-2.pdf

If this moves to a recall, it is going to cost Ford billions.

I just got a letter from Ford about the leak. It is customer satisfaction number 17B25. It talks. about holes and unsealed spaces in the back of the explorer. It also states about holes being drilled near the lift gate and muffler area that are not sealed where exhaust could enter the cabin. They state that they will reprogram the HVAC and check the PCM for certain errors or issues and will continue to Sept 30, 2018. It will take less than one half day.
I also got a second letter about the steer stops (17B22). It stated damage to the steering gears from certain police driving maneuvers. There might be noise and a "check power steering now" on the display and the repair will take a half day.

So it seems they are working on it...if that is the issue and they can fix it.

I just got a letter from Ford about the leak. It is customer satisfaction number 17B25. It talks. about holes and unsealed spaces in the back of the explorer. It also states about holes being drilled near the lift gate and muffler area that are not sealed where exhaust could enter the cabin. They state that they will reprogram the HVAC and check the PCM for certain errors or issues and will continue to Sept 30, 2018. It will take less than one half day.
I also got a second letter about the steer stops (17B22). It stated damage to the steering gears from certain police driving maneuvers. There might be noise and a "check power steering now" on the display and the repair will take a half day.

So it seems they are working on it...if that is the issue and they can fix it.

Had all the above done about 3 weeks ago, they welded small turndown tips on the existing mufflers. In addition all the other repairs were done, no improvement in the issues. I gave Ford the time, but unfortunately I am getting rid of the vehicle as soon as I settle on a new truck from a different manufacturer.

I had been smelling it since I bought my vehicle at the beginning of aug. thought I just needed to replace incabin filter. Replaced than and no change in smell. Since it had been so hot I had been running the AC or recirc. Was getting headaches and after one long day I started getting really tired. I pulled over rolled down my windows and shut off the engine. Passed out a few secs later. Came to around 30 mins later. Searched online and found this issue. Decided to talk to the dealer about this and they said they’d have to charge me to take a look because it’s out of warranty. Anyone have any luck getting the dealer to tackle this without the customer paying on vehicles out of warranty?

Did some reading in Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust and there is a post that says that the Customer Satisfaction Program 17N03 which expired December 2018 has been extended by 19N05 which runs to Dec. '22. Have not been able to find 19N05 document. In the previous program, I believed it only applied to 'retail' units since the PIU up-fitters created more issues themselves.

Peter

If your PIU was in Police service, there is a possibility of some sort of penetration where an upfitter may have run wires and not sealed it correctly. Usually in the area of the rear hatch. I think I have a copy of the fleet service bulletin and will post it when I get to my computer

If your PIU was in Police service, there is a possibility of some sort of penetration where an upfitter may have run wires and not sealed it correctly. Usually in the area of the rear hatch. I think I have a copy of the fleet service bulletin and will post it when I get to my computer
That would be great. Thank you!

Here you go

Attachments

• Bulletin_P026_Sealing.pdf
    727.8 KB · Views: 119

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back