• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Sport Horn location

BrianTheLion

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
The horn in my 2014 Explorer Sport has stopped working. It won’t sound if physically pressed or the keys are left in the car etc.

I swapped the fuse (just getting to the fuse box was a feat) and it didn’t help. I did notice that when I press the horn button, there is a clicking noise so I’m wondering if it’s just a bad connection at the horn itself (as has been reported elsewhere).

Does anybody know exactly where the horn is located on an Explorer sport? I haven’t been able to find a decent video or post, which shows or describes the exact location, and preferably the steps involved to reach it.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Brian.:wave:
As Douglas mentioned the horns are located near the hood latch assembly. It is a dual horn mount so it seems strange that both horns quit working. Perhaps it is the horn relay that is bad. That may account for the "clicking" sound.

Peter

DSCN0013.JPG

Sorry, perhaps they change the locations depending upon model years. Try looking in the front left area around the headlight.
Peter
index.php

Sorry, perhaps they change the locations depending upon model years. Try looking in the front left area around the headlight.
Peter
index.php

Thanks for the warm welcome Peter and appreciate the diagram.

I did have a poke around earlier based on that diagram, but I couldn’t see it. I was hoping someone on the forum had pulled apart a Sport and maybe knew the quickest way to access it because I’m about as handy as a snake.

On my 2013, they are tucked up in the fender on the drivers side front. Just like the diagram above. If I lay down at the front of the driver side wheel and look up, I can see them. I actually need to replace mine as well. Mine are doing the same thing. Sometimes chirp when I hit the lock on the remote but sometimes dont and do not activate when I press the horn button.

Originally thought it was because I got mud up there but have since cleaned them out... Let me know if you find out the issue.

On my 2013, they are tucked up in the fender on the drivers side front. Just like the diagram above. If I lay down at the front of the driver side wheel and look up, I can see them. I actually need to replace mine as well. Mine are doing the same thing. Sometimes chirp when I hit the lock on the remote but sometimes dont and do not activate when I press the horn button.

Originally thought it was because I got mud up there but have since cleaned them out... Let me know if you find out the issue.

Thanks - that’s really helpful. I wonder if I could have reach up and push the connectors in. Mine is a ‘13 build but ‘14 model year.

I’ll let you know how I go but if I have to start pulling off significant parts of the car then I’ll probably have to throw in the towel and take it to the dealer. The fuse box in the drivers footwell was stupidly hard to access so I didn’t fancy my chances!

FWIW … the horn on my sister-in-law's 2010 Ford Escape stopped working last week. I checked fuses and relays and everything looked good there.

The twin horns are located behind the front bumper cover, and I had to remove the cover to gain access to the horns. I unplugged the wiring from the horns, and applied 12 volts to the horns from my jumper pack. The horns worked fine, so I hooked a test light to the wiring and pressed the horn button. The test light glowed, so I knew current was flowing to the connector as it should.

I looked closely at the connection pins on the horn and noticed they were covered with green oxidation. I used a clean piece Scotch-Brite abrasive pad held with tweezers to remove the oxidation from the connection pins. The female receptacles on the wiring connector are too small to get anything in there to clean them, so I sprayed them with DeoxIT contact cleaner. I plugged the connector back onto the horn and tested it. Worked like new!

Hope this story is helpful.

FWIW … the horn on my sister-in-law's 2010 Ford Escape stopped working last week. I checked fuses and relays and everything looked good there.

The twin horns are located behind the front bumper cover, and I had to remove the cover to gain access to the horns. I unplugged the wiring from the horns, and applied 12 volts to the horns from my jumper pack. The horns worked fine, so I hooked a test light to the wiring and pressed the horn button. The test light glowed, so I knew current was flowing to the connector as it should.

I looked closely at the connection pins on the horn and noticed they were covered with green oxidation. I used a clean piece Scotch-Brite abrasive pad held with tweezers to remove the oxidation from the connection pins. The female receptacles on the wiring connector are too small to get anything in there to clean them, so I sprayed them with DeoxIT contact cleaner. I plugged the connector back onto the horn and tested it. Worked like new!

Hope this story is helpful.

This is excellent news! Honestly, Ive never heard of a horn dying so I am hoping its this connection issue. Which makes sense when it works when it wants to.

Going to give this a shot!

Thanks - that’s really helpful. I wonder if I could have reach up and push the connectors in. Mine is a ‘13 build but ‘14 model year.

I’ll let you know how I go but if I have to start pulling off significant parts of the car then I’ll probably have to throw in the towel and take it to the dealer. The fuse box in the drivers footwell was stupidly hard to access so I didn’t fancy my chances!

Id definitely give it a shot. Its tucked right up in there but i can reach mine. Yours might be a bit hidden due to the fender liner. I should have mentioned that mine was trimmed a bit since mine has the traxda lift and a 31 mud tire. So I can see right up in there from where the liner was trimmed.

If all else fails..........:D

upload_2019-9-6_14-8-6.png

Back