• Register Today It's free!

Axle seal tool advice

wesalexleft

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer V8 4.6L
Getting ready to do the rear axle seals in the diff on a 2003 and wanted opinions on whether I should spend the 70.00 for the official Rotunda tool for installation, or make due with sockets/makeshift anything available. I don't foresee using the tool more than once, but haven't found it used on EBay or Craigslist. The Lisle 17850 appears to be the tool to buy at 70.00 and some shipping, while the pair of seals were 35.00. What would you do??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would personally get a socket large enough for it. Even one at Sears would be significantly cheaper than $70. I personally dug through my basement and found a piece of pipe (of the same diameter) and cut it short to use. Just gotta take it slow and work it in. Harbor Freight has a nice axle seal tool set for $50 if I remember right.

I never bothered getting a seal installation tool. Sockets/pipe of the right size work fine.

Now a seal removal tool is another story.. That was worth its weight in a gold a few times..

~Mark

Have done 4 and never needed any special tools.

things are pretty tight in there for me and I have not set the seal yet. something I am going to try is getting the correct seal setter, modifying an oak 4x4 or a large dowel so the seal setter can be screwed into it. get either a jack stand or a jack so the wood can rest on it. and tap it in.

am I crazy?

I've heard of some folks getting by with exhaust system adapters (steel pipes in various diameters to increase/decrease or extend exhaust pipes). Cheap. Take your new seal to O'Reilly's, etc., and find one that matches the circumference, or whether they loan a tool that has the right diameter.

I ended up buying a set of axel seal tool set from a Rotundra 25.0 USD if I recall. I did get a 1 inch pipe to as an extention to set the seal. it was not the bests thing but it worked. next set is to get the Diff fluid to the proper level

$70 for a seating tool? I took a differential to a machine shop to replace the output bearings and seals (which I provided) and they charged $60. That sounds like a bargain to me.

I ended up buying a set of axel seal tool set from a Rotundra 25.0 USD if I recall. I did get a 1 inch pipe to as an extention to set the seal. it was not the bests thing but it worked. next set is to get the Diff fluid to the proper level
Martin: Can you post the OTC tool number that worked for you? Is it similar to what O'Reilly's and AutoZone lend out?

Back