Any Aftermarket brands for our Suspension? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any Aftermarket brands for our Suspension?

xplo134

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT 2.0 Ecoboost
Hi All,

Are there aftermarket suspension parts for Ford Explorer 2013? I'm about to replace the following parts soon so would like to know the options:

• Lower Control Arms - moog, ford, any brands?
  • Shocks- ford, moog? Any brands like bilstein etc?
  • Stabilizer links- ford, moog?
  • Tie Rods- ford, moog?
  • Bushing kits- energy suspension?

Please recommend if you have tried moog brand for your suspension and happy with the performance. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m curious as well... I know Bilstein does not have any of their high end lines (6000-8500 series) available for the 2011+ Explorer Sport. Not even sure about their OEM replacement (4000-4500 series?) being available.

I have the H&R springs installed on my 17 ExSport and love them, however, I’ve noticed a little extra rebound on harder bumps and I don’t think the stock Ford Motorsport shocks have enough dampening power to compensate. I would love it if Bilstein would offer an upgrade.

Found these at www.shockwarehouse.com

2017 ExplorerSport -Shocks and Struts
Bilstein
FL-B6 - SUSPENSION STRUT ASSEMBLY
Part Number: 22-266637
Series: B6

FR-B6 - SUSPENSION STRUT ASSEMBLY
Part Number: 22-266620

I ordered them today and have them scheduled to install on Thursday next week. I’ll post impressions after I get some mileage on them.

The B6 are slightly more aggressively tuned than the B4 OEM replacement struts. Hopefully this will do the trick to reduce or remove the excessive rebound bounce on harsher bumps.

There are no B6’s available for the rear shocks, B4 only, but the stock Ford Motorsport shocks seem to be doing the trick so the B4’s should more than suffice.

Found these at www.shockwarehouse.com

2017 ExplorerSport -Shocks and Struts
Bilstein
FL-B6 - SUSPENSION STRUT ASSEMBLY
Part Number: 22-266637

FR-B6 - SUSPENSION STRUT ASSEMBLY
Part Number: 22-266620

I ordered them today and have them scheduled to install on Thursday next week. I’ll post impressions after I get some mileage on them.

The B6 are slightly more aggressively tuned than the B4 OEM replacement struts. Hopefully this will do the trick to reduce or remove the excessive rebound bounce on harsher bumps.

There are no B6’s available for the rear shocks, B4 only, but the stock Ford Motorsport shocks seem to be doing the trick so the B4’s should more than suffice.

Any follow up on this? I see that the b6 is now available for rear at shockwarehouse steeda doesn’t carry them yet though. We just recently hit 100k and we’re running the original struts still. Even though the ride quality doesn’t seem compromised I’m sure the suspension could use a refresh, but I can’t go with too sporty of a feel or my wife will kill me :)

I've not replaced any suspension parts on the explorer yet, but I always try to use moog parts if available and have always had good luck with them on other vehicles.

Energy suspension doesn't list any parts for a 5th gen explorer.

Bilstein makes OE replacement shocks and struts, which are their B4 line, and upgraded B6 line.

Yeah, I was hoping someone had experience with the B6 line. If the ride firms up too much I know my wife won’t like it and the Explorer is her car so I have to be careful about putting “performance” parts on it.

Yeah, I was hoping someone had experience with the B6 line. If the ride firms up too much I know my wife won’t like it and the Explorer is her car so I have to be careful about putting “performance” parts on it.
I'll report back in about a week, just ordered front and rear for mine, as well as a steeda sway bar.
Decided to get the suspension up to par before getting a tuner.
I don't have to worry about adding performance parts too much, my wife used to ask to to drive my Scat Pack Charger to work every day lol.
Unfortunately it will just be a seat of the pants comparison, I don't have any way to actually measure the difference.
4wheel parts had the best price on the front struts that I found, plus free local pickup. They don't sell the rears though so I ordered those from CarID.

I'll report back in about a week, just ordered front and rear for mine, as well as a steeda sway bar.
Decided to get the suspension up to par before getting a tuner.
I don't have to worry about adding performance parts too much, my wife used to ask to to drive my Scat Pack Charger to work every day lol.
Unfortunately it will just be a seat of the pants comparison, I don't have any way to actually measure the difference.
4wheel parts had the best price on the front struts that I found, plus free local pickup. They don't sell the rears though so I ordered those from CarID.

Looking forward to hearing what you think. Seat of pants is more important to me than graphs and charts anyway. I do have the livernois tune on ours and it definitely improves the pull. But if you’ve had any experience with the tuner cars it’s not as dramatic of a change as when you tube those. Of course weight is probably the key reason there. Performance enhancements were fine for my wife till I did coilovers, solid mounts and bushings everywhere on my GTI it was fast and handled incredibly but you felt everything and the NVH was pretty bad from 3-4K rpms. So now my wife is particularly sensitive about suspension changes. But I want to do the b6 struts, HR springs, and steeda rear bar. I think that should round the car out really nicely.

If you're lowered, Bilstein has a disclaimer against using the B4 series ("Not recommended for lowered vehicles"), so you'd have to get the B6 series.

Also, the B6 series is now available for the rears.

Looking forward to hearing what you think. Seat of pants is more important to me than graphs and charts anyway. I do have the livernois tune on ours and it definitely improves the pull. But if you’ve had any experience with the tuner cars it’s not as dramatic of a change as when you tube those. Of course weight is probably the key reason there. Performance enhancements were fine for my wife till I did coilovers, solid mounts and bushings everywhere on my GTI it was fast and handled incredibly but you felt everything and the NVH was pretty bad from 3-4K rpms. So now my wife is particularly sensitive about suspension changes. But I want to do the b6 struts, HR springs, and steeda rear bar. I think that should round the car out really nicely.
Unfortunately, it appears that the front struts are backordered until late October/Early November, so it will be a bit before I get them on. Supposedly my steeda sway bar has shipped, so I will probably put that on first.
I have the rear shocks already, but will probably wait for the fronts to install.

I appreciate the follow up! I’m planning on replacing our struts in the spring unless a ride quality issue shows up before then. But I’ll keep that in mind and maybe order them a month in advance of the job in case there are any stock issues.

I definitely am waiting to hear how it all works out for you! I am debating on lifting my '13 to accommodate bigger tires.. and I know it'll cause some wear and tear, so I'm thinking ahead.. besides... 139k on oem stuff... time to switch!

I did get the steeda sway bar in and installed. Not very difficult at all, cant imagine going back to stock, handles so much better now. I tried it on the highest setting first, but tht seemed a little much, so I dropped it back to the middle hole and it's great. Fell very confident in corners now but not overly so (on the highest setting it felt like if I cornered hard the rear inside wheels was going to come off the ground).
I have the rear shocks sitting in the trunk, just waiting for the front struts.

Don't forget that the vehicle is equipped with Curve Control.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anybody done the Steeda trailing arms yet? I'm ordering their rear sway bar, figured I would get the toe link recall done first, that's happening tomorrow

Back