Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited

Good news: The parking brake worked great and the Explorer handled the boat ramp like a champ. Launching and recovery was a breeze and it didn't feel like there was any weight behind the Explorer and she barely squatted under the load of the trailer.

Bad news: I need to figure out the driver window issue as soon as I get a free moment. And the boat broke down about a 1/2 mile from my marina. Luckily we got a tow back from a nice boater! Loading the boat back on without power sucked but we get her on the trailer.

I'm a little proud of my 21 year old Explorer!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any tips on how to trouble shoot my driver window issue? I'm a little hesitant to just start throwing parts at it. I can hear the relay clicking but that's all it does.

I have had to replace two relays of my three Explorers so far. If the master switch is already new and tests don't point to something else, it may be the right time to replace the relay, at 21 years old. The wiring in the left door jamb will always be suspect with electrical issues in the LF door, everyone should inspect that at some point soon.

Another item of need in almost all of the 95-01's, the gas pedal bracket spot welded to the firewall, should be inspected occasionally. If the spot welds let go, then the metal tears and could be hard to repair. It's easy to drill two holes and install short bolts and nuts to support that better. I did that for my 99 when I bought it, and my 98 needed it last year. I noticed my pedal feeling soft etc, and it turned out to be the welds were about half broken out, still in place but about to let go completely. It took about 45 minutes to locate two good choices for nuts with large washers on them, with short bolts, and drill holes to install them. If you are super easy on the gas always, it may never become an issue, there has not been any TSB etc.

When a relay clicks it's receiving power and ground to activate/energize it, but that doesn't mean it's capable of transferring power to where it needs to go.

1) Swap the window relay out with another one from the power distribution box (if the bottom of a relay looks the same, it is the same) to see if that's the problem. Also check that the contacts are not corroded and that they're tight (you can use a pair of pliers to slightly twist the relay's blades to make sure they're making good contact).

2) Use a test light or VOM to see if power is making it to the window motor in question. Remember that the red and yellow window motor wires swap power and ground (polarity) depending on which direction the window is going. You can also run power and ground directly to the red & yellow motor wires using jumper wires to make sure there's no issue with the motor (be sure to unplug the motor wires before doing this).

3) It's very possible that you have a broken wire in driver's door jam loom. I find it easier to just remove the driver's door to examine/repair the many wires found inside the rubber boot. Removing the door is easy to do (helps to have two people, but I've done it by myself). There are just four 13mm bolts that hold the door on and one 10mm bolt in the center of the connector barrel. When reattaching the door there is little-to-no adjustment possible to the hinge bolts, so re-aligning the door is also easy. Maybe just a piece of 2x4 on a floor jack to support the door until the bolts are tightened. Wires have also been known to break behind the plastic driver's side kick panel.

I found the relay box under the dash and switched the interior light relay over to the one-touch window relay and the driver window is working again. Hopefully it was a relay issue and it is solved. I'd even be okay if my interior lights started going out intermittently because then I'd know for sure it was a relay issue and I could replace it.

I'm soooooooo happy I've got working parking brakes now! My driveway has a decent grade! Don't worry, I've got a chock on one of the back wheels of the truck.
69387398_10162441460485107_122514436039639040_o.jpg

69071852_10219873357802719_1928795995030683648_o.jpg

That's a good looking truck

Damn! Damn! Damn!

I drove out to the lake today with all of the windows down and the sun roof open. I closed up the truck while I was hanging out. When I went to drop the boat at the storage facility, the driver window wouldn't roll down. DAMN!

Looks like it's time to pull apart the door wire boot and look for broken wire's:mad:

Looks like it's time to pull apart the door wire boot and look for broken wire's:mad:
I've already tried that on two occasions and all looks good.

Hmmm did you tug on each wire and follow them in to the cabin also the one touch relay comes to mind

I'm happy to report this thing is still going strong! The driver window is magically back to working. The header/exhaust leak noise has gotten old! Look how small it is compared to a Jeep! LOL
71146969_10162544885995107_8708661566964236288_o.jpg

It still looks great.

I think the interior space is right about the same compared to the Unlimited Wrangler. The Explorer has almost 100cubic feet of cargo space, say 95 is close.

Funny you mentioned that, I'm switching routes in about three weeks, and the lady on the other route now, has two of those Jeeps, the RHD versions though. I think I can get as much in mine as she does, but she has the left front seat as a large storage area, while mine has the steering wheel and pedals. I can't fill that seat and floor with much like she can. I have my back seats out though, and that gains some space.

@CDW6212R. Don,

do you deliver mail driving from the right (passenger) side of a left wheel drive (standard set up) vehicle?

Of course, I am still very impressed that you can keep your Explorer in good condition given your driving conditions. Well done.

Doug

@CDW6212R. Don,

do you deliver mail driving from the right (passenger) side of a left wheel drive (standard set up) vehicle?

Of course, I am still very impressed that you can keep your Explorer in good condition given your driving conditions. Well done.

Doug

Yes, I have the 99 in my signature as a primary vehicle, trans out now, and my 98 Limited like GLOCKer's I use temporarily. I only removed the back seats in it, the rest is stock. My 99 I installed switches for things like turn signals, strobe lights, and right side window control. I'm one of two carriers here to still use a left hand drive vehicle, the other is a very large/tall man who is a substitute. Everyone else has paid $1000-$1200 for RHD conversions for theirs.

Yes, I have the 99 in my signature as a primary vehicle, trans out now, and my 98 Limited like GLOCKer's I use temporarily. I only removed the back seats in it, the rest is stock. My 99 I installed switches for things like turn signals, strobe lights, and right side window control. I'm one of two carriers here to still use a left hand drive vehicle, the other is a very large/tall man who is a substitute. Everyone else has paid $1000-$1200 for RHD conversions for theirs.
Pics of the mods you've done?

Pics of the mods you've done?

I have the thread linked in my signature, but these are the main pictures showing the biggest steps I made. The switches on my right door panel and in the airbag pocket, clipped the 93 body to use the 99 front clip and firewall, the OEM ARC air shock system wired in, and the underside painted and undercoated. I got almost everything the way I wanted it, hadn't planned to make it 302/AWD then, and the idea of a cooled driver's seat cover might not happen.

Projectthread108.JPG

Projectthread007.JPG

Projectthread075.JPG

Projectthread027.JPG

I haven't posted in a while; I've been busy with work and the Explorer has been just humming along without any real issues.

But...

I've come to a fork in the road with the Explorer. I'm thinking about getting rid of it and getting a 2019/2020 Ranger FX4. I wouldn't be able to keep the Explorer if I did this. I'm wanting something with four wheel drive and the towing capacity to handle my boat, and I like the Rangers. The alternative is I throw a whole bunch of money at the Explorer and convert it to 4x4 with a manual transfer case. If I did this, I'd also get the fuel pump replaced and the exhaust manifolds done at the same time. Unfortunately, a 4x4 conversion would be way out of the scope of what I could handle. I'd have to Ebay for the parts (I couldn't just buy another Explorer to scavenge from as I couldn't keep it around) and find a mechanic to handle the swap over.

I'm heavily leaning towards the new Ranger. But I had to take my dog to the vet today and I used my old Explorer and I just like it! Other than the fact it's old and two wheel drive! LOL

My wife doesn't like driving the Explorer, but I'm pretty sure if I had a new truck the size of a Ranger she'd have no issues driving it. But damn, I put so much work into my old '98!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After driving something modern and new you will probably miss your Explorer a lot less.

Back