HVAC Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HVAC Help!

scleco

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Ltd 5.0 AWD
Hi,
I just picked up a 2000 Limited 5.0 AWD with only 78,500 miles. Everything works except the HVAC.
It's only worked two times (AC). Once when I first got it and the second time after I did the EATC self diagnosis. I got 888 and it started working again. I turned the car off and the next time I got in it wouldn't work again. Did the self diagnosis again got 888 again but this time no dice.
The blower itself spins freely and didn't make any noise the two times it worked. So I was thinking it might be the AC blower motor resistor? Is this the right part number xl2h19e624ab ?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,
I just picked up a 2000 Limited 5.0 AWD with only 78,500 miles. Everything works except the HVAC.
It's only worked two times (AC). Once when I first got it and the second time after I did the EATC self diagnosis. I got 888 and it started working again. I turned the car off and the next time I got in it wouldn't work again. Did the self diagnosis again got 888 again but this time no dice.
The blower itself spins freely and didn't make any noise the two times it worked. So I was thinking it might be the AC blower motor resistor? Is this the right part number xl2h19e624ab ?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Although you are complaining of no A/C, I understand that your problem is the blower, not the A/C system itself, right?
With EATC you have an electronic speed controller, not a resistor -- but the part may still be nicknamed a "resistor". From my limited (no pun intended) experience, the controller is the most likely to fail, but there are other possibilities. The part number you listed appears correct for your 2000, but there are many alternative numbers and cheaper aftermarket replacements. Check Rockauto.com, for example.
I'd suggest first checking the blower motor itself by simply connecting battery power directly to it. The speed controller connectors also like to overheat and lose contact. Unplug and take a good look. There is also a chance of a defective EATC -- even though the test passes, it doesn't actually test itself. Don't known of an easy way to test it, except by elimination. So if the blower works with 12V wired directly to it, the speed controller plug is intact, you installed a new speed controller and still no dice, the EATC would be the next suspect.
BTW: the speed controller is inserted into the air plenum from the engine compartment side and a bit tricky to access. Search this forum for tips.

Thank you!
Forgot to mention the obvious: fuse. Also, there should be a relay. The way this works is that the relay provides 12V power to one side of the motor, and the speed controller is in the path to ground. Unplug the blower connector. With the blower on (regardless of speed setting), one wire - pink/white in my case - should see full12V. If not, try replacing the relay. If your 2000 is anything like my 1998, that's the one in the bottom-right corner of the fuse box under the hood. To test, you can swap it with the starter relay, just above it. Good luck!

Well the blower/ac was working beautifully for a week! Then it died again. I just replaced the electronic speed controller and no dice. I guess I'll try the blower motor next.

Well the blower/ac was working beautifully for a week! Then it died again. I just replaced the electronic speed controller and no dice. I guess I'll try the blower motor next.
Should have been the first thing to check, but better late than never. If the motor is OK, check that you get 12V to one of the two connector pins (don't recall which). If not, check the relay.

Back