Off-road capabilities of stock 2013 4WD XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off-road capabilities of stock 2013 4WD XLT

Brad Walters

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT Explorer
Hi guys,

My vehicle is bone stock (for now). Has Continental Terrain Contact A/T tires, rated "very good" by Consumer Reports.

My parents live in Colorado, and I'll be visiting them on Sept 15-19. I would really like to take Ophir Pass, connecting Rico to Ouray. Do you guys think the stock XLT can make it?

Here's some trail photos:
Ophir Pass

I had a stock 2003 Liberty 4x4 before this, which made it no problem.

Thanks yall

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I completely understand the temptation.

I would say you can, but wonder if your explorer would look the same afterward. The lack of law range will cause your transmission temperature to soar. I would strongly recommend the paved route, but if you do take the short cut I definitely want to see a lot of pictures.

I wouldn't, this new generation of Explorers are not the Explorers of old. They are highway queens and are not designed for off road driving. Even when I take mine into a couple of areas I am extremely careful that I don't tear something off or go over a rut in the road the wrong way.

It's too bad too, a little bit more clearance and they would go a lot of places without any damage.

Well god dammit. I bought it hoping I could offroad it some :mad:

And what is "lack of law range"?

Lack of Low range. You may have to use the 'Grass, Gravel & Snow' setting on the Terrain Management System (TMS) for that stretch with all the small rocks.

Peter

Well god dammit. I bought it hoping I could offroad it some :mad:

I mispelled Low Range.

Thanks Peter for clearing that up.

Oh I didn’t know what that was. lol. Now I do.

And what did you mean, “it might not look the same?”

Low clearance vehicles tend to have parts removed when they drive over rough roads

Ophir Pass will be a piece of cake in an explorer, weather permitting, even with law clearance! Skip Engineer or Black Bear though. With some driving skills Imogene would be doable. Some of these might bring out squeaks or rattles.

I'd totally do it!
Looks rather ok, might need to "move/avoid" a few rock but by the vid on the link, look rather doable.
Also, carrying a full size spare might be a good extra luggage to carry.
And the view seems nice!

Hopefully, there is cell phone coverage.;)

I've watched a bunch of Youtube videos of off-road tests of the Explorer, and it seems the only downside to its ability is the lack of ground clearance, especially if you're on a rocky trail.

Back