24 inch rims | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

24 inch rims

Yea, I’m not a fan of those huge rims either. It looks like the rim is right on the ground in those pics.

That truck will never see an off-road trail, that’s for sure.

But as long as the owner likes it, that is all that really matters in the end.

To me, I want enough sidewall to grip a rock, or climb over a (small) downed tree that’s across the trail.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing against the look, but those lexani are cast in China and are generally considered low/lower end (where else can you get 24s for ~$400-500/rim?).

I personally prefer to spend $3k+ on higher end audio upgrades or other hobbies these days instead of wheels.

True. You can spend as much as you want on anything these days, if you have the money. But I bought the car with the wheels
already installed. I'm happy with it, that's all that really matters. To each his own.

KayGee Write:

"Did you ask them about their sema explorers (and partner vehicles) that regularly featured 22, 24, 26 and larger wheels for the last several years?"

Good point but my guess is the ones that are used for SEMA and specialty shows are probably dedicated platforms and are either trailered or minimum drive events, like trailer to exhibition center etc, parking lot, etc...

KayGee Write:

"Did you ask them about their sema explorers (and partner vehicles) that regularly featured 22, 24, 26 and larger wheels for the last several years?"

Good point but my guess is the ones that are used for SEMA and specialty shows are probably dedicated platforms and are either trailered or minimum drive events, like trailer to exhibition center etc, parking lot, etc...
Why "guess"?

Some are one off specialty/custom/concept, but some sema vehicles are just customized regular production vehicles showing off parts available for purchase and can be driven - some are even sold off after the show. Some of the builders sell them directly from their shop or website and some make their way to eBay or other online auto sales alternatives.

I see no point in faking something with a current production vehicle like the explorer. What purpose would it serve? The oe and the parts makers want people to buy the stuff they are hawking. Way different from a concept car that doesn't work and is just meant to generate general interest.

Looks awesome! Those really fill the wheel wells nicely. Most I would do is 22”s most likely, to keep the ride decent. 22”s on my ‘05 Tahoe rode like crap, but it did have 150k miles and most of the suspension was probably worn out.
Yeah, I would go with 22" instead myself. If I had to do it over again.

You might want to check on the load rating for those Lexani wheels. I was looking at some 20" and all the ones I checked were 1350 - 1400lbs. As they don't (or didn't) post on the web what their load ratings are, I had to email their reps.

FYI.

Those really fill the wheel wells nicely.
More likely due to the fact that his vehicle is lowered. The stock 18s and 20s will also fill out the wheel wells if lowered.

You might want to check on the load rating for those Lexani wheels. I was looking at some 20" and all the ones I checked were 1350 - 1400lbs. As they don't (or didn't) post on the web what their load ratings are, I had to email their reps.

FYI.
Lexani has low end cast and some low end forged - weight ratings on 20"+ start in the low 1,###'s and I believe go up to low 2,###'s or higher. The real question is whether you can believe them or not...

Lexani has low end cast and some low end forged - weight ratings on 20"+ start in the low 1,###'s and I believe go up to low 2,###'s or higher. The real question is whether you can believe them or not...
so what is a safe load rating I should have for my wheels? So my Explorer weighs 4443 lbs. My wheels should have at least a a 1200-1300 lbs rating?

I would personally look for higher than that. Maybe in the high 1,###s/low 2,###s. Low end wheels will all be gravity or low pressure cast. Better will be rotary forged, but spoke face and hub section are still cast. Best (and most expensive) will be fully forged.

It’s not just the vehicle weight that the rim has to withstand, there are impacts (potholes, curbs) as well as the dynamic forces of driving. When you are in a sharp turn at speed, not only is most of the vehicle’s weight shifted to the outside of the turn, there are now higher lateral forces pushing sideways on the rim.

Don’t cheap-out on rims, especially those big diameters with just a few skinny spokes.

Hey,
I have 24" Lexani Bavaria rims, with Lexani 275/35/24 tires. I get compliments all the time. The ride is a little rough, and gas mileage sucks, but hey, you look good. I dont know why everbody is hating on the 24's.

View attachment 173536

View attachment 173537
Your set up looks professional and perfect if I dont say so myself...

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer. I recently just yesterday came across and individual who is selling a set of 24x10" rims. The offset I am not aware of at the moment. I remember a couple months ago when I was looking up rim's online I thought the maximum width I can't go was 9.5 inche wide. The rims I'm looking at are 10" wide and I'm scared at this point. How wide are your rims? And what size tires did you go with? I know you mentioned the ride can be rough at times, is that because there's very little tire or is it rough just because it's a significantly wider rim then what you're used to. My personal E mail address is coleon@gmail.com

Any feedback you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this period as I have been unsuccessful in reaching anyone who has done something similar.

John
Fort Myers, Florida

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer. I recently just yesterday came across and individual who is selling a set of 24x10" rims. The offset I am not aware of at the moment. I remember a couple months ago when I was looking up rim's online I thought the maximum width I can't go was 9.5 inche wide. The rims I'm looking at are 10" wide and I'm scared at this point. How wide are your rims? And what size tires did you go with? I know you mentioned the ride can be rough at times, is that because there's very little tire or is it rough just because it's a significantly wider rim then what you're used to. My personal E mail address is coleon@gmail.com

Any feedback you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this period as I have been unsuccessful in reaching anyone who has done something similar.

John
Fort Myers, Florida

Screenshot_20200124-201519_Facebook.jpg

My expo is the white an blk mammajamma

John
Fort Myers, Florida
Nice rims you got there.
I just got some new tires. I went with the Nexan 275/ZR24, so they are 275mm or about 10.82 inches wide.
The ride is alot smoother with the new tires. The Lexani tires I had on before, made the drive more rough, and stiff. These Nexan's are alot better.
So it has alot to do with what tire you go with. Lexani run about 125.00 each, the Nexans were about 200-225 each, so you get what you pay for doesnt change.
I hope that helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2014 Ford explorer I'm putting 24-in rims on it what size tires would I need
You haven't added the Required trim level of your Explorer to your profile so I don't know what OEM tire size you have. The size should, however, not exceed the OEM diameter size by more than 3%.

Peter

Back