Torque settings Struts/Shocks

merchjo

Reaction score
City, State
Hackettstown, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Hey Guys

Does anyone know what the torque setting of the upper strut mount (the mount with 4 bolts) is for the 4 bolts? I need to pull the strut to check the mount and want torque it to the proper value when I put it back.

Thanks

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2012 Explorer Rear Shocks

I've replaced the rear shocks on my 2012 stock Explorer. My question is what torque should the top and bottom mounting bolts be tightened to? Top mount in particular seems like it will keep compressing the rubber mount if tightened too much.

Help appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

Rear Shock Torque Values

Thank you swshawaii.

Thank you very much for the technical reference information. Just what I needed. Very best to you.

Much appreciated,

Ed

2012 Explorer rear shocks

Anyone have any tip as to how to hold the hex end of the top of the rear shock while tightening the top mount? If I'm to torque to 41 ft-lbs how do I get my torque wrench on while holding the hex end of the shock? Don't most torque wrenches work like a socket, mine does. It covers the end of the threaded stud, thus no way to hold the hex end???

Thanks, Ed

Hello, I have a Ford Explorer 2012 that I'm about to change the strut bearing on because theirs a knocking noise when i turn the steering wheel side to side, also when I put my hand on the spring I could feel it vibrate when it does. If anyone could provide me all the specs to torque down the bolts I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Hello, I have a Ford Explorer 2012 that I'm about to change the strut bearing on because theirs a knocking noise when i turn the steering wheel side to side, also when I put my hand on the spring I could feel it vibrate when it does. If anyone could provide me all the specs to torque down the bolts I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one found using the Forum's very handy 'Search' feature (upper right).
Good luck.

Peter

Thought I'd come back and answer my own question ;)

Front Strut Torque Specs:
Strut rod nut: 133 Nm (98 lb-ft)
Strut-to-wheel knuckle nuts: 250 Nm (184 lb-ft)
Upper strut mount nuts: 55 Nm (41 lb-ft)
Stabilizer bar link nuts: 150 Nm (111 lb-ft)

2012 Explorer rear shocks

Anyone have any tip as to how to hold the hex end of the top of the rear shock while tightening the top mount? If I'm to torque to 41 ft-lbs how do I get my torque wrench on while holding the hex end of the shock? Don't most torque wrenches work like a socket, mine does. It covers the end of the threaded stud, thus no way to hold the hex end???

Thanks, Ed
Hello, I know this is an old post but I'm newish here and running into the same issue with front stabilizer bar link during removal/replacement of the struts.
Not sure how I can torque it with no way to grip the bolt.

Hello, I know this is an old post but I'm newish here and running into the same issue with front stabilizer bar link during removal/replacement of the struts.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Use a crow's foot on the end of the torque wrench.

There are proper torque adapters for just such purposes.

thanks everybody! I got a crows foot and used at 90 degrees so no calc needed (according to the engineering communities online).
The stabilizer bar needed a 10mill wrench or socket to hold the bolt while turning the nut w 13/16 wrench. Once its tight enough the nut can be torqued without crows foot, but that crows foot was invaluable for torqueing the nuts at the top of the strut--strut bolts stuck out too far for short socket and long socket left no room for the torque wrench. Enter...the crows foot. was done in no time.
Thanks again!

Hey everybody. Me again. So I stretched and snapped the bolt on stabilizer link. Everywhere I looked showed 111 lb/ft so I am not sure if I looked at incorrect spec or torque wrench is the issue. Wrench its a loaner from Oreilly. I did torque a lower shock bolt to 184lb/ft before doing the stablink and it seems to have worked fine. Before doing the stablink, I backed the torque wrench all the way down and then back up to 111 to ensure torque setting was correct but still snapped the bolt.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Bman - Are you doing front or rear? I believe you said front in one post, but then said shock in another post. Shocks are in the rear. Front would be struts.

Did front struts first and am now doing rear shocks.

For the rear shocks the lower bolt only goes to 129 lb-ft and the stabilizer nut gets torqued to 41 lb-ft.

If you are doing the rear you need to replace that lower bolt and nut, along with the stabilizer bar and nut, now because you over torqued them and it could fail.

Yes, sorry. I torqued lower shock bolt to 129. The following are the specs I've been able to track down/confirm:

Rear lower shock bolt: 129 lb/ft (confirmed from multiple sources)
Rear upper shock: 41 lb/ft (confirmed from multiple sources)

I saw the post above for front stablink torque and mistakenly assumed that rear stablink was the same. Not sure if I was being lazy or hopeful, but its obviously a lot less. Using 41 on the stablink as well makes sense because the bolt snapped easily trying to put 111 on it.

I have a new pair of links on the way (figured I should replace link on both sides now) so I'm just trying to confirm proper torque before I finish up the one side and start on the other.

So to confirm, both the shock upper nut and stabilizer link nut are 41 lb/ft?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, sorry. I torqued lower shock bolt to 129. The following are the specs I've been able to track down/confirm:

Rear lower shock bolt: 129 lb/ft (confirmed from multiple sources)
Rear upper shock: 41 lb/ft (confirmed from multiple sources)

I saw the post above for front stablink torque and mistakenly assumed that rear stablink was the same. Not sure if I was being lazy or hopeful, but its obviously a lot less. Using 41 on the stablink as well makes sense because the bolt snapped easily trying to put 111 on it.

I have a new pair of links on the way (figured I should replace link on both sides now) so I'm just trying to confirm proper torque before I finish up the one side and start on the other.

So to confirm, both the shock upper nut and stabilizer link nut are 41 lb/ft?
Your answer is in the post above, quoted for convenience. I don't think the suspension torque values have changed from 2011 to 2019 as there have been no changes in design.

Back