• Register Today It's free!

Buying a new to me Explorer

RckyMtnTJ

Reaction score
City, State
Lethbridge, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Hi. New guy here. Buying the wife a used Explorer. Anything I should watch for or stay away from?

We’ve narrowed it down to a 2013-16 Limited as she likes some of the extras. We are getting the tow package as we have a trailer we tow.

How does the Sport motor compare to the standard? Should we avoid it or aim for a Sport instead? I’ve heard they can be pricy if those turbos need work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the 5th gen Forum.:wave:
This thread may be helpful. List of Useful Threads - Hints for a Pre-Pick Up Inspection & Used Ex. Check List
I'd go for the latest, 2016 since the mileage should be lower. As for towing, I'm not sure if you are looking for an Explorer with the tow package or adding it. The Explorer is rated to tow 5000 lbs only with the factory installed package. An aftermarket addition would bring that down to 2000 lbs.
Although there are some posts about turbo issues I wouldn't classify it as a frequent complaint. The Sport suspension is a little stiffer.

Peter

The tow package is none negotiable. We definitely want it.

Depends how heavy your trailer is... the standard V6 "can" tow 5k, but nobody I know who's done it is very happy, even towing 3-4k. Depending how much and how often you tow you should look at a Sport I'd think. Agree, turbos don't really seem to be a common problem. Water pump and PTU in AWD models are what to watch for.

I'd love the Sport but did avoid it due to the potential issues. I do all my own maintenance and I wouldn't look forward to turbo repair on top of all the normal stuff. Plus I assume the engine bay would be even more packed and hard to work in. On the other hand coming from a TL Type S previously I wish my Explorer had more power, so when I see a Sport on the road part of me wishes I had gone for it... oh well :)

Hmm. Our current trailer tops out at 3500lbs and it’s a bit of a beast for the Sienna to tow. Hence looking to upgrade. We’re looking to upgrade to a trailer that’d be a solid 1000lbs heavier all in.

What is the PTU?

Depends how heavy your trailer is... the standard V6 "can" tow 5k, but nobody I know who's done it is very happy, even towing 3-4k. Depending how much and how often you tow you should look at a Sport I'd think. Agree, turbos don't really seem to be a common problem. Water pump and PTU in AWD models are what to watch for.

What is the PTU?
Power Transfer Unit, splits power between front and rear wheels. In your case I wouldn't consider anything less than the TTV6 to tow that much, unless you can do a trial tow beforehand. What's HP and Torque on your Sienna?

Hmm. Our current trailer tops out at 3500lbs and it’s a bit of a beast for the Sienna to tow. Hence looking to upgrade. We’re looking to upgrade to a trailer that’d be a solid 1000lbs heavier all in.

You do realize that the 5,000 lb.towing capacity of some explorers is with no cargo and only a 150 lb driver in the vehicle.

Probably won't be popular around here, but if you want to pull a 4,500 lb trailer, I would suggest looking at a vehicle with a higher gcwr and towing capacity than the explorer. Probably something around 12-13k gcwr and 7k tow capacity. If you want to stay Ford suv, that would be an expedition.

Highest gcwr for an eb explorer is 10,400 and gvwr is 6,160. Curb weight is 5,000. Do the math...

You do realize that the 5,000 lb.towing capacity of some explorers is with no cargo and only a 150 lb driver in the vehicle.

Probably won't be popular around here, but if you want to pull a 4,500 lb trailer, I would suggest looking at a vehicle with a higher gcwr and towing capacity than the explorer. Probably something around 12-13k gcwr and 7k tow capacity. If you want to stay Ford suv, that would be an expedition.

Highest gcwr for an eb explorer is 10,400 and gvwr is 6,160. Curb weight is 5,000. Do the math...

Yep, a Dodge Durango with a Hemi would be better for pulling that trailer if you want a car-like crossover, or move up to and Expedition or Tahoe. Just because it can pull it, doesn’t mean you’ll enjoy doing it.

Back