Torque settings Struts/Shocks | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque settings Struts/Shocks

Your answer is in the post above, quoted for convenience. I don't think the suspension torque values have changed from 2011 to 2019 as there have been no changes in design.
thank you so much for your help. I'm going a little nutty trying to make sure I get this done safely for my wife's car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whoops. Yep rear is 41 lb-ft.

About the torque wrench loaner - I have a digital torque meter to calibrate my wrenches. When I first got it, I realized one of my wrenches was *way* out of spec, and it had caused me to over torque (to the point of damage) some parts in the past. Just borrowed the O'Reilly 250 lb-ft torque wrench to do the front struts, and when I checked it was about 15% high. So, that's gonna make a big difference on a bolt that needs 100+ lb-ft.

I will never, ever trust a torque wrench without calibrating it.

Yikes. I'm a mechanic-as-needed, so don't have much invested in tools. I'll definitely look into my own torque wrench now. Thanks

Yeah I've collected quite a lot of tools over the years, but not a 250 lb-ft torque wrench yet. Just haven't needed it much, couple times for wheel nuts or crank pulley bolt. Now with the Explorer maybe I should get one. But the way I see it, every time I DIY I save enough money to buy a new tool, so I'll get something I need :).

Here is the digital torque meter - you can use it as-is with any wrench as a torque wrench - if you have the space -, or use it to calibrate your torque wrenches (I much prefer the click-type torque wrench in practice, and just use this to calibrate).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DV33XJ5

That looks like exactly what I could use. Im adding it to my shopping cart on amazon right now :thumbsup:

Truth

C40500C5-9D54-406B-AA79-F4BAEE5FDADA.png

Back