Please help with this noise also smoke and oil | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help with this noise also smoke and oil

Mrobs146

Reaction score
City, State
Westland, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xls 4x4
Today I was driving home from work and all of a sudden I seen smoke behind me not constant don’t do it at idle or when I rev it was on the freeway doing it that I noticed smoking and then there was also oil on my hatch and when I popped the hood this is the horrible sound coming from the motor rattling and I have no clue what it is. Please help hope it’s not major. And coming right from the spot I have the camera focused on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my old V6 I have managed to bust holes in both valve covers...

I watched the video on my smartphone, the audio quality of the phone I can't hear any rattling to be honest.
But yes, my engine did make a racket until I made the repairs.

Which engine do you have?

Which engine do you have?
The 4.0 yours blew smoke and oil out the exhaust? Mines got a real mean rattle coming right from that spot. Looked behind me on the freeway today and noticed smoke and oil was on my hatch. When I mash the throttle it kinda skips too bit the trans that was just done. Can tell the motor been doing that a little while but not the smoke, oil, and rattle

No mine blew oil out of large breaches in the valve covers, due to timing component failure.
Sounds like you are going to need an engine.

No mine blew oil out of large breaches in the valve covers, due to timing component failure.
Sounds like you are going to need an engine.
is it a pain in the ass to swap the motor? Also what about a 4.6 and what years?

Back