Sync 3 and Navigation Map Updates | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 and Navigation Map Updates

Unfortunately, even when new map updates are available, the map data will probably be 2-3 years old already. It takes a long time to collect the info, validate it, test, and then release the map updates...plus it will cost a few coins to get the map update installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

July 19 that's somewhat of a date. I will be looking. I am probably one of the few that liked MFT for the NAV updates alone. I still say that the NAV updates and software update should be separate to prevent this exact scenario.

Map updates are out....you can download them or have them sent to you via usb.

The site lists the options: Ford - Sync3 Map Update

Appears 17s have to pay but 18s and 19s are free for downloading.

Downloading now. Can confirm free for my 2018.

Thanks Jason!

13.1 gig download.

I am NOT impressed with customer support so far. Set the order to download to USB for future install but wont let me order. I Enter the VIN and ESN and it shows Map up to date. It just says Map up to date (Which almost 2020 but the Map version still shows Jan 2018 so not exactly up to date) For Free I will take it though. Called customer support and 20 minutes later she tells me she has to email IVT and they will reply.) Save your money and don't order the USB. If they can't set up the Free download right what makes you think they can set up the USB that they are charging $40...>PLUS SHIPPING Really??? Map four years out of date and they have the nerve to charge not only for the USB update but shipping? Ford is definitely starting to alienate its loyal customer base me included. I never thought I would say this but I would almost rather have a way to backwards install a SYNC 2 MFT At least I can get map updates every year.

MAKE A NOTE: This ""UPDATE" takes it to Jan 2018 data base so still almost two years out of date. FREE but seriously? They couldn't get a 2019 version. My 2011 Mercedes update DVD had a JAN 2019 map database.

If NAVTEQ gives one more excuse about lack of infrastructure I am going to punch them in the bread basket. You are a MAP company...Map and Map database updates "IS YOUR INFRASTRUCTURE" Morons......Or at least should be and if not then they need to find a new career field.

I want to know why a 2017 has to pay $149 for the USB update or $109 if I download it? My maps are way out of date. I use Car-play and Waze so I don't really care but still why should someone that bought a 17 have to pay while someone that bought an 18 or newer does not?

I followed the directions to the letter. Pretty easy to do.

Updating in the EXP now. I used a 16 gig USB drive and that was enough room.

When I first plugged it in it said updating, then it said done, and it restarted in 30 seconds. I shut the car off and at that second I saw the install screen. Ugh.

So I restarted my car and reinserted the USB. I saw the update screen and what it said it would do.

Now I will let it do it's thing......

All done. It took a little over and hour. I just let it do it's thing. When it said I can remove the USB it was done.

I can confirm I now have Maps version NA 18. I did have 16.

Not sure if I'll notice any difference, but we'll see.

I did not use CAPS and it worked for me.

I am downloading updates now for my 2019 Sport that came with 3.0 Sync and the NA 1 17 maps.

Tip: Make sure you are using the "SYNC Serial Number (ESN)" from the very bottom of the Sync 3 "About SYNC" screen (Scroll all the way down) - and not the "Onboard Modem Serial Number (ESN)" which appears first on that page. Apparently that is fouling up a lot of people who see the modem ESN first, and try using that and get Error 16 on the update page.

Also, FWIW - there are at least two versions of the map updates based on what version of Sync 3 you have installed:

Pre 3.2 Sync
and
Post 3.2 Sync

Different set of files, slightly different install instructions. Pre Sync 3.2 map files are a about 3GB larger than the Post Sync 3.2

Downloaded them both to have handy if at some point I need to re-install and have been updated to >Sync 3.2

Also, if you want to make sure you have a record of the transaction in case its needed at some point (or in case you opted for the $40 USB order) - make sure to take a screenshot of the order #, confirmation and download pages, etc. as the site noted it was supposed to send a confirmation email - and I've never received anything - ensured email was correct, checked junk, etc. - nada.

I didn't notice different files when I downloaded. I was only offered Pre 3.2.

Hope I didn't do the wrong one.

Ok. I feel better now.

Maybe Post 3.2 is for the 2020's?

I didn't notice different files when I downloaded. I was only offered Pre 3.2.

Hope I didn't do the wrong one.

Sorry for the confusion, I should have noted, the site only presents you with a single version based on your VIN/ESN and a lookup in Ford's database to see which version of Sync you are running/should be running. You guys should be in good shape with what it provided to you.

I'm a software dev, so I poked around and picked up on the two variations. I did so by digging through some of the web service API calls and JSON data that was returned back in the download page (pretty verbose and quite informative - some of Fords sites, like the owner.ford.com even show the buckets/categories they break us each down into - wether we are satisfied, have submitted poor ratings on experiences, recent purchasers, etc - very detailed - anyway....) and the JavaScript that makes the pages function. Using the results along with a little educated guessing on some variations of the provided Amazon AWS-S3 bucket URL(s) where the map files are being served from, provided me the right results. The install PDF was also served from a Ford web service API based on your VIN/ESN and other parameters, and I jiggered with those, again with some educated guessing on the naming convention to get it to send me the accompanying alternate install instructions for the other variation, in PDF format.

The license key that you are presented with is a tar'd/gzipped folder containing a plain text "License.txt" file with the product SKU number associated with the update, and the Version.der file is basically a code signing cert - an X.509 certificate in the binary DER format, that contains an RSA public key (Using Ford's In-Vehicle Security groups SyncGen3, self signed CA), and is signed with the private portion of their 2048 bit RSA key, a small payload (containing the Ford Part # for the map data, the length of the License.txt (14 bytes) and the ESN you submitted and a hash (sha256 format) of the License.txt file. The other portions of the map data are also tar'g/gzipped and contain similar Version.der files for essentially signing the contents of the archives, the files in each, and a hash of each file to make sure they haven't been tampered/modified. You can validate the files with standard openssl libs.

Couple additional notes:

While you may be able to download the other map variation(s), they have a different Ford Product #, and thus the license file which wraps your ESN, will be tied to a different product number. I realized this after looking through the file structure after I finished downloading, my previous post while was while I was still waiting for things to finish downloading and didn't realize how things were bound to the license yet. This also means, you can't browse around for screenshots where folks may have exposed their VIN and ESN, as you may be able to use them to get another set of files, but they won't validate on your car with different values. I won't go into how to possibly generate an additional valid license file from the Ford web service API based on your own VIN/ESN but for a different product variation…

FWIW, anyone who downloads the files can easily deduce these things from what you are provided, and what comes through directly from the website during your transactions - you just have to know what to look for ;) I just thought I'd share the extra detail here, as these forums are a great source of information. I've got a ELM327 OBD2 adapter coming this weekend, so I can do a little FORScan tinkering. Finally going to disable that stupid double-honk and do some other tweaking.

I tested out the new Sync navigation update today. There was a street, Prairie Road, that was a dead end at Falcon Drive in town. Last year Prairie Road was extended about a 1/4 mile from Falcon Drive out to Liberty Boulevard. This extended road did not show up on the original navigation, but did show up on this new navigation version. Passed the test for me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Updated my 19 Explorer today. Worked fine, took about an hour. Now 1-18; was 1-17. Not sure it was worth it, but free.

Back