How will pending autoworkers contract affect production & quality? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How will pending autoworkers contract affect production & quality?

TexasBill

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No clue.. latest I read was workers at CAP have been not showing up (not even calling) and that employees from FRAP have been going over to help.

Anyone else concerned about their Aviator/Explorer orders due to the September contract expiration and the fact that workers at Ford's CAP voted to strike? I am.

See Auto union workers overwhelmingly vote to authorize strikes at GM, Ford, Fiat Chrysler

I have two concerns....Current production vehicle quality and the potential delay if no contract is in place this month.
Most news coverage indicates that UAW will not call a nationwide strike this time. A strike if called will (1) target plants that will bottleneck parts and production to other plants leaving more workers on the auto maker's pay roll vs the UAW strike pay roll, as production slows across the board. (2) target plants with the highest profit margins. Majority of the strike efforts may target GM because of high profit margins and plant closure plans. Any in case a strike will cost automakers a lot of money and slow most production and shutdown only some. The strike card is now on the table as the clock tics. Deadlines are usually pushed back as long as the teams stay at the table. I hope they reach an agreement and the economy needs to keep our plants open.

Most news coverage indicates that UAW will not call a nationwide strike this time. A strike if called will (1) target plants that will bottleneck parts and production to other plants leaving more workers on the auto maker's pay roll vs the UAW strike pay roll, as production slows across the board. (2) target plants with the highest profit margins. Majority of the strike efforts may target GM because of high profit margins and plant closure plans. Any in case a strike will cost automakers a lot of money and slow most production and shutdown only some. The strike card is now on the table as the clock tics. Deadlines are usually pushed back as long as the teams stay at the table. I hope they reach an agreement and the economy needs to keep our plants open.
UAW Anounces Nationwide Strike Deadline Tonight for GM: UAW Announce Nationwide Strike To Begin Before Midnight Sunday

History repeats itself until you learn from it. Unions have been on the decline for awhile now. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

a strike at CAP could possibly help with the quality issues with no production... ;)

a strike at CAP could possibly help with the quality issues with no production... ;)
I hope I am not the exception, but no quality issues to date. The engineer who put the battery in a hole near the windshield should be on call to replace or jump start the Explorer. That was just insane, not QC.

I hope I am not the exception, but no quality issues to date. The engineer who put the battery in a hole near the windshield should be on call to replace or jump start the Explorer. That was just insane, not QC.

You probably are the exception. I have a bunch of niggly problems that I just feel the fix could possibly be worse. As my first Ford, I am totally disappointed in the quality. This is not my first time buying a first year, all new vehicle and this Ford is by far the worst. BTW, battery near the windshield is pretty common. It is pretty well shielded from the elements and I plan on putting a pig tail for charging by the windshield so I don't mind the location. Just a pain to change it in that location.

After hearing what GM is offering and that the UAW is finding it unacceptable, I can't help but feel they are being greedy. Especially when it looks like a recession could be around the corner. It has happened in the past where products were sabotaged leading up to and during contract talks and I don't think that behavior has changed.

You probably are the exception. I have a bunch of niggly problems that I just feel the fix could possibly be worse. As my first Ford, I am totally disappointed in the quality. This is not my first time buying a first year, all new vehicle and this Ford is by far the worst. BTW, battery near the windshield is pretty common. It is pretty well shielded from the elements and I plan on putting a pig tail for charging by the windshield so I don't mind the location. Just a pain to change it in that location.

After hearing what GM is offering and that the UAW is finding it unacceptable, I can't help but feel they are being greedy. Especially when it looks like a recession could be around the corner. It has happened in the past where products were sabotaged leading up to and during contract talks and I don't think that behavior has changed.

You should really dig into what GM is offering beyond what GM is publishing. Nobody is being greedy, GM is spinning this to make it look like they are offering so much.

I dont think I have seen your posts where you list all the QC problems you have. Care to share?

You should really dig into what GM is offering beyond what GM is publishing. Nobody is being greedy, GM is spinning this to make it look like they are offering so much.

I dont think I have seen your posts where you list all the QC problems you have. Care to share?

I have listed a bunch of problems already in threads. Broken glass left over in door, scratched up sun shade (from broken glass), torn rubber window trim, bowed out exterior b-pillar, 2 very slight verticlal indentations in the the sheet metal driver's door, raised 1/2 mm dot on passenger side door, bleb on the hatch sheetmetal, moon roof cover gap in front, rear plastic panel scratched and not seated, rear exterior plastic trim sticking out, multiple Sync 3 failures ("no GPS", cannot switch audio source from radio, unable to turn audio off via button--only can turn down volume to 0, carplay won't activate, iPhone does not connect via bluetooth, etc.). These are things that are off the top of my head and there are some more. Lately, I am worried about the "autohold" braking and the random times it seems to come up on the dash. And in park, on a couple of occasions, it seemed the car shifted a little once i released the brake peddle before it stopped again. Hoping it doesn't have the reported transmission park issue.

I don't mean to rag on the UAW. I'm only commenting from info I've seen on the news. Care to share why the GM deal is worthy of striking?

I have listed a bunch of problems already in threads. Broken glass left over in door, scratched up sun shade (from broken glass), torn rubber window trim, bowed out exterior b-pillar, 2 very slight verticlal indentations in the the sheet metal driver's door, raised 1/2 mm dot on passenger side door, bleb on the hatch sheetmetal, moon roof cover gap in front, rear plastic panel scratched and not seated, rear exterior plastic trim sticking out, multiple Sync 3 failures ("no GPS", cannot switch audio source from radio, unable to turn audio off via button--only can turn down volume to 0, carplay won't activate, iPhone does not connect via bluetooth, etc.). These are things that are off the top of my head and there are some more. Lately, I am worried about the "autohold" braking and the random times it seems to come up on the dash. And in park, on a couple of occasions, it seemed the car shifted a little once i released the brake peddle before it stopped again. Hoping it doesn't have the reported transmission park issue.

I don't mean to rag on the UAW. I'm only commenting from info I've seen on the news. Care to share why the GM deal is worthy of striking?

Now that you list the things, I remember. I didnt connect your name and those issues.

Regarding UAW.. yes there will always be 2 sides to every story but when you read things like this.. makes you understand a little more on what's going on. I think GM posted their offering publicly to make them look like the good guys and shame the UAW.

91FB3439-D07A-4956-B16F-617A0D401AE4.thumb.jpeg.4791155266929921680b6bdfbe0c2d20.jpeg

.................................................. And in park, on a couple of occasions, it seemed the car shifted a little once i released the brake peddle before it stopped again. Hoping it doesn't have the reported transmission park issue.....................
That's normal. All vehicles I've had did that. I have to allow for that little rollback when parking in the garage to ensure the door has clearance when it closes.

Peter

Back