Oil Change Question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change Question

I thought the new(er) ford engines had port injection as well as direct injection in order to eliminate (substantially reduce?) coking. If so, is there still a need for catch cans?

The 2nd gen 3.5 Ecoboost does.. The 2.0, 2.3 and 2.7 do not (they aren't 2nd gen). I'm not positive on the 3.0 but my memory tells me it does not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The second generation 2.7L does include the dual injection tech. The 3L is basically the 2.7L with a slightly increased bore and stroke. But like you said, not clear if the 3L includes both port and direct injection.

Even if the 3L has both, a oil separator is not a bad idea.

The second generation 2.7L does include the dual injection tech. The 3L is basically the 2.7L with a slightly increased bore and stroke. But like you said, not clear if the 3L includes both port and direct injection.

Even if the 3L has both, a oil separator is not a bad idea.

Thank you for the correction. Just googled it and it went port injection for 2018 but it sounds like just the truck engine. Does the Edge ST and fusion ST have the 2nd gen or only the RWD truck platform.

I've read/heard this version of the 3.0 is new but I dont know what "new" means. With theb2020 parts catalog not out yet on dealer sites, I cant pull parts up on the engine to see.

Cant find evidence of Port injection on the 3L, there are some diagrams on parts.ford for the 3L
Injector Assy | FordUS

The 3.0 was first used in 2016 but the 2nd gen 2.7 was first used in 2018. I read the 3L is just a stroked and bored 2.7, so I have to presume its based off the 1st gen 2.7.

will adding an oil separator affect warranty coverage?

will adding an oil separator affect warranty coverage?

Only if by doing so it was shown the separator caused what ever the issue is being claimed. It’s not very likely you would ever have a warranty issue here.

Just did my first oil change, used the Amsoil filter and Mobil 1 5w-30, 6qt was about perfect.

4DCDAB75-04EA-4817-9020-50A7C9CE7A46.jpeg

76146E1B-AC93-450D-9818-E16EF66F4EFE.jpeg

31FB2FC4-5B5F-4F76-8DA6-3FC91ED2C29C.jpeg

Love the top mounted filter. Didnt realize it had one.

I was worried it would spill oil all down the engine but nope, not a drop.

Nope.. my powerstroke 6.0 was same way.. top mounted, never a drop. Great to see this.

Just ordered MC filter on Amazon for $9.15.

How easy or difficult was it to control the drainage flow with the giant yellow drain plug? And supposedly it needs to be replaced with each change?

How easy or difficult was it to control the drainage flow with the giant yellow drain plug? And supposedly it needs to be replaced with each change?

I really don’t see why it should be replaced unless damaged. No problem at all to pull the plug and not get hot oil on me.

But, it may not be a bad idea to keep a spare if you do your own oil changes, just in case a tab breaks;
Drain Plug - Ford (KX6Z-6730-B) | TascaParts.com

Nope.. my powerstroke 6.0 was same way.. top mounted, never a drop. Great to see this.

Just ordered MC filter on Amazon for $9.15.

I found the Mobil1 M1C-351A filter at Advance Auto ($19.95). I don't mind paying that knowing it is Mobil even though I know the MC part is ok too. Just info for everyone.

I really don’t see why it should be replaced unless damaged. No problem at all to pull the plug and not get hot oil on me.

But, it may not be a bad idea to keep a spare if you do your own oil changes, just in case a tab breaks;
Drain Plug - Ford (KX6Z-6730-B) | TascaParts.com

Good call, found it for slightly under $9 on amazon with free shipping. Tasca wanted $8.62 for shipping on their $6 part lol.

Only the truck 2.7 got split port/direct injection. The 2019 Ford Fusion Sport still has the same 2.7 with the leaky plastic oil pan. Ford switched the truck pans to aluminum (except for the 2.7) to resolve the leaks, I believe on the 3.5 and 5.0 but not the 2.7 for some reason.

The Explorer ST's turbos are very different though and can flow a lot more air. I'm not sure if the ST's 3.0 turbos are the same as the older MKZ 3.0's turbos.

We can forget all our problems from the last generation explorers. They finally corrected water pump and PTU or whatever it was called.

Thank you for the correction. Just googled it and it went port injection for 2018 but it sounds like just the truck engine. Does the Edge ST and fusion ST have the 2nd gen or only the RWD truck platform.

I've read/heard this version of the 3.0 is new but I dont know what "new" means. With theb2020 parts catalog not out yet on dealer sites, I cant pull parts up on the engine to see.

The 3.0T was new in the 2017 MKZ, but I don't know if that means it has the port injection also.

BTW, the Amsoil oil filter is about $17 each with their membership pricing, which costs $16 a year as I have been doing. I just bought some more oil for my lawn mowers, I like many of their less obvious products too. Their air filters were very special that they had for OEM applications, but they discontinued that line a while back. I miss those, a filter that you could vacuum, and cleaned at least as well as all others.

As a word of caution on oil usage....these engines are NOT like the ones we had before. After learning a bit more about the specifications, it is apparently very important to use the correct oil, which is SAE SN-PLUS rated, and should be the DEXOS-Gen-2. It is required to minimize the oil evaporation that travels through the PCV into the intake and coats the inlet valves, additionally and more importantly, it helps eliminate low speed pre-ignition (LSPI). So any old 5W-20 or 5W-30 should not be used that does not meet the SN Plus specification. I will be using the Amsoil Signature 5W-30 in mine once it turns 1,000 miles. No associated with Amsoil in any way, but can vouch for its engine protection capabilities through experience. Thanks /m

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We've been using that oil for awhile now on EcoBoost. GM has called for Dexos 1 Gen2 on their GTDI engines for awhile it's not some new spec. Low calcium oils are needed to prevent LSPI. API SP is coming out may 1st 2020 just FYI. The 3.0 EcoBoost is based on the 2.7 EcoBoost, and both engines have been out for years.

Back