• Register Today It's free!

Codes P0300, P0303 and P0304

mazrxdr

Reaction score
City, State
colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer 4wd 3.5 na
2013 explorer 3.5 non turbo. Installed used engine due to rod bearing failure. Vehicle has 100000 and replacement engine 6oooo. Since install has had p0300, p0303 and p0304. Codes set always on upshift at higher rpm. Can drive around all day below 3500 rpm without any miss. If acell hard to get onto freeway cel starts flashing, noticeable power reduction and codes for miss on 3 and 4. Have replaced the ignition coils, spark plugs, fuel injectors, wiring harness with parts from old engine. No change. Have switched coils and plugs to different cyls and miss still on 3 and 4. Ran compression test which shows 120 psi on all but cyls 2 and 5 which are 118 and 115. Compression reading wont be as high as sea level due to being in Colorado. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I hope someone will have an idea for you.

Peter

Do you have Forscan software? Try running a power balance test to see relative contribution for each cylinder.

Is the replacement engine from the same model year and vehicle? Same engine code on both engine tags?

I’ve seen bent pins on the crank trigger wheel cause misfire issues, any chance they got bent during the swap?

You may also be able to graph the crank sensor signal using the Forscan software - if you are able to then you compare the amplitude across a full crank revolution, you should only see a difference where the 1 missing tooth is.

You’ve thrown a lot of parts at it, not much left it could be.

Mike.

I'm getting a slight misfire under heavy acceleration and I'm unsure when spark plugs were changed if ever. I will change ignition coils also while I have it taken apart. It has 215k miles currently.

Looks like the replacement ignition coil ranges from 70-90$ each which is insane. I did a little more research and found this kit BA5Z-12259-A which is for the Ford Edge. According to an Ebay listing the coils are 7T4Z-12029-E. Going to contact a seller and ask to confirm. Obviously I'd be buying the kit for the coils and the spark plugs and gasket would be unusable. Would be way way cheaper buying the kit rather then individual coils.

Still waiting for a response from a Ford parts seller. Old spark plugs had a gap of .065-.070. Broke a couple of ignition coil connectors. Those red clips are annoying!

Drove it for two days. No misfires with a spark plug change. Have been checking on FORScan also for any codes and misfire status. The old ignition coils look fine so I think I'm going to leave it alone. For any future readers the part number for the ignition coil connector is Motorcraft WPT-931 its around $20-40. You can also buy the connector itself for around $2 and the part number for that is Molex 334710306. There's a video on how to swap over the connector on YouTube.

2013 explorer 3.5 non turbo. Installed used engine due to rod bearing failure. Vehicle has 100000 and replacement engine 6oooo. Since install has had p0300, p0303 and p0304. Codes set always on upshift at higher rpm. Can drive around all day below 3500 rpm without any miss. If acell hard to get onto freeway cel starts flashing, noticeable power reduction and codes for miss on 3 and 4. Have replaced the ignition coils, spark plugs, fuel injectors, wiring harness with parts from old engine. No change. Have switched coils and plugs to different cyls and miss still on 3 and 4. Ran compression test which shows 120 psi on all but cyls 2 and 5 which are 118 and 115. Compression reading wont be as high as sea level due to being in Colorado. Any ideas?
PCM must relearn timing. Snap-on scanner will do it under engine function test

PCM must relearn timing. Snap-on scanner will do it under engine function test
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The member you quoted was last seen here on October 23, 2019. Hopefully the info you provided will help other members.

Peter

Back