Explorer delays | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer delays

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apparently and sadly, Ford's assembly quality is subpar to japanese, german and korean cars. Even though I was lucky enough to skip all mechanical problems with my Fords which I started to own back in 2007. Even troubled DCT, (which has got a lot of attention recently as some third party claims that Ford knew DCT had serious issues and nevertheless put it into production), on my 2012 Focus did not give me serious problems except two TCM software update.
When I bought 2012 Explorer I almost right away noticed quite visible back door misalignment, there were some other across the vehicle but minor. Later on when all-new Edge just started to fill in the streets, I think it was 2015, I noticed just awful back door misalignment on the new Edge, which happened to park next to me, and it was much worse than on mine Explorer! Now, mine new 2018 Edge has the same issuies with outside panels misalignment!
And that is really troubling to me as I was quite surious about buying new Lincoln Aviator, but when price tag is well over $50k, very close to $70k that quality is just no go!

................................And that is really troubling to me as I was quite surious about buying new Lincoln Aviator, but when price tag is well over $50k, very close to $70k that quality is just no go!
The Reseve here without options is $77,700 including freight and A/C charges.

Peter

The Reseve here without options is $77,700 including freight and A/C charges.

Peter
That makes it even worse. If Lincoln wants to stay competitive and take a share of pie from german and japanese premium brands they have to make it perfect!

Just took new 2019 Expedition for test drive overnight, checked the whole vehicle thoroughly inside and outside, not much to say, I wouldnt say it is perfect, but is good. Kentucky plant, but this is 2019 MY.

So I guess my question continues to be: are the issues Ford was experiencing over? Are all Explorers currently coming out of the Chicago factory going directly to dealers?? Does anyone know or have an update?? Ford is mystifyingquite.

I can only speak for my order. It was released from CAP on 9/26/19, 2 days after its blend date, and is currently in transit to my dealer. ETA is Monday.

I can only speak for my order. It was released from CAP on 9/26/19, 2 days after it's blend date, and is currently in transit to my dealer. ETA is Monday.
That sounds promising!.

I'll post a summary in my order thread once I take delivery of my ST. My guess (hope) is that we are past all the problems that caused mid-summer scheduling delays and Explorers being sent to FRAP for repairs.

Hopefully you will get advantage of the additional incentive is throwing at these...internal rumours now indicate some soft demand with many folks giving up their pre-orders. Up to $3k in incentives are now available.

Hopefully you will get advantage of the additional incentive is throwing at these...internal rumours now indicate some soft demand with many folks giving up their pre-orders. Up to $3k in incentives are now available.
Are you referring to Canada or US? Employee Pricing still on here until the 30th. No other incentives yet.

Peter

I can only speak for my order. It was released from CAP on 9/26/19, 2 days after its blend date, and is currently in transit to my dealer. ETA is Monday.

What is meant by "blend date"? Thanks

Many say the blend date is the day the car is produced, but my experience has been that the blend date occurs a day or two before the car actually comes off the assembly-line. I read one explanation: "the blend date is the day the motor/trans/chassis is attached to the body." Regardless, once you have your window sticker (about 6 to 7 days before your car is produced), look at the top center of the window sticker and you'll see something like
120190831 with the word "BLEND" below it. This particular vehicle had a blend date of 08/31/2019. Hope that helps.

I don't recall hearing the term "Blend Date" in the 5th gen forum. It was always "Build Date".

Peter

Many say the blend date is the day the car is produced, but my experience has been that the blend date occurs a day or two before the car actually comes off the assembly-line. I read one explanation: "the blend date is the day the motor/trans/chassis is attached to the body." Regardless, once you have your window sticker (about 6 to 7 days before your car is produced), look at the top center of the window sticker and you'll see something like
120190831 with the word "BLEND" below it. This particular vehicle had a blend date of 08/31/2019. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. My ST showed a build date of 7/18/19 but the "Blend" date on window sticker says 120190629 (6/29/19).

The rumors about crap going to Flat Rock for repairs aren't rumors according to the article.
Some Lincoln Aviator owners battle serious problems with luxury SUV

I've had nothing but quality issues with stuff coming out of the Chicago plant. SHO, Explorer, etc... and it's not just my vehicles. I see the same quality issues on other people's SHO/Explorer Sports in the parking lot at work. This wasn't limited to specific MYs either.

I think these problem cars are the first ones that got to dealers. Some of the people quoted in the article got their cars in August. My car was built in late July and has been held up. Hoping that extra QC at Flat Rock has smoothed out any issues for the ones still to be delivered - and hope the actual production at CAP is pushing out better quality.

People on this and other boards that have gotten their cars in the last 2-3 weeks have had not issues (or small things)

Fingers crossed.

What a **** show! Tesla and Ford can now be put in the same level for quality issues!!

this is telling:
‘Why? He said all new cars can have bugs but Ford is known for introducing a whole bunch of new technology all at once, so if things go wrong the issues cascade. Toyota, for example, eases new features into products over time. “For Ford and Lincoln, these are complete redesigns, big large changes. And Ford tends to struggle on new technology in ways that Toyota and others do not. When you put a lot of new things into a vehicle all at once, it’s a recipe for problems.”

So I finally received my 2020 Explorer ST. Ordered March 16th, built July 18th & delivered October 9th. I am now having a problem with the battery dying. It first died overnight the first day. I brought it back to Ford but they could not find anything wrong with the battery. I asked them to check for system updates & they found 4 which the updated. I drove the vehicle on small outings for the next few days with no problems. Yesterday I just used it to go to the store & it sat in the garage all night. This morning the battery is dead again. Bringing it back to Ford again tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice with this problem?

IMG_7155.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^^ dang man :-( sorry to hear about it

Back