• Register Today It's free!

Tricky Front End Heat Question

Josh Decker

Reaction score
City, State
Hartland, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4x4
First time poster, and I have a conundrum with our heat.

Here's what I'm driving:
2002 Explorer V6 Flex Fuel
over 400,000 miles on it!

Ok, so we started having trouble with the heat last year...you know the kind, the thunking as the front end blend door actuator went out. Replaced that. Tested to see if I was getting heat, and initially got a little heat, though not as much it should have been. Took it out, got it replaced on warranty, and reinstalled it.

I then replaced the one in the back end (what a pain!) because that hadn't worked as long as we have owned the vehicle. Tested it, lots of heat not problem!

So back to the front end, still no heat coming out. Air is slightly warmer than air temperature, but not much. Plenty of air flow from all vents (defrost, dash vents, floor, and center console vents). Air is slightly warmer coming out of floor and center console than out of dash vents or defrost...but not nearly as hot as it should be.

So, I here's what I've done:
  • Replaced blend door actuator
  • Ensured coolant level was appropriate
Any thoughts on what may be going on? I am thinking either heater core (ugh!), or maybe thermostat (suggested by a repair guy I spoke to...though not a mechanic).

I appreciate the help!
~Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clogged heater core? Try flushing it...

But first have you verified that the blend door is actually moving all the way to full heat? If yes, then try above ^^.

If you're getting heat from the rear air, it's not a thermostat issue. Double-check blend door operation first, then make sure you're getting flow through the front heater core.

If you're getting heat from the rear air, it's not a thermostat issue. Double-check blend door operation first, then make sure you're getting flow through the front heater core.
I can tear back into it to be sure it’s moving all the way into place.

For the flow through the front heater core, I am assuming you mean air flow? I did check that today, there was no noticeable difference between when the cold was on versus the hot. Just thinking through this...if the blend door is not moving into place all the way, there wouldn’t be an airflow difference. Okay.

SO...any recommendations on how to check if the door is getting moved into place or not?

Clogged heater core? Try flushing it...

But first have you verified that the blend door is actually moving all the way to full heat? If yes, then try above ^^.

If I move on to flushing the heater core, is flushing the entire coolant system enough, or should it be a heater core specific flush?

Thanks!

specially the heater core.

Also, make sure there is significantly less airflow at 90* vs 60*. 60* is full heater core bypass and evap only which is low static against the blower and thus plenty of airflow. 90* is full heater core and evap core which is high static against the blower and far less airflow than 60*. This test is easily done IGN on and ENG off.

Ok, so I went back and was looking at what they gave me versus what is available. I think they may have sold me the actuator for the rear, could that cause this issue maybe?

Back