Engine misfire | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine misfire

Well, I am now on day 10 and still not fixed. Talked to my service tech and they said they have replaced the plugs/wires/coils/injectors and still get a misfire on #5 and 6. He told me the techs are literally scratching their heads and have been talking to Ford regarding their next move. Can’t believe this car is less than six months old and the problem began at 14,000 miles.
I updated my Work Order photos on Post #24 so you can compare with the ongoing repairs to your Exploder.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have they checked the wiring really good that connects to the #5 and #6 coils?

They said they replaced them.
I updated my Work Order photos on Post #24 so you can compare with the ongoing repairs to your Exploder.

Thanks! Right now they are telling me that they are taking the heads out possibly today.

Well, I am now on day 18 without my 2019 Explorer. So far, 2 spark plugs and 2 coil packs have been replaced along with the wires. They've also replaced the injectors and now removing the head next week. I have already called Ford to begin the buy back program even though technically I do not qualify YET. I honestly would like to get my car back but at this point I am nervous as the more they take apart and then put back together, the more issues I could have down the road.

What a nightmare this has become...…..and I am a first time Ford customer.

I think beginning the buy back paperwork is a smart move, this sounds like a losing proposition with this car and the Dealer. I wish you good luck.

But really, pulling the heads because the car has a 'miss' is an odd and expensive way to diagnose the problem, have they done a simple compression check or used a Borescope camera in the cylinders?

Not sure if they did either tests. My service tech told me that they ordered the head and will install it Monday/Tuesday. He said hopefully it will be fixed.

Well......I believe I am getting the run around now. Was just told the computer in the car shows that a misfire has only occurred twice which is not true. They also said that the car’s rev limiter kicked on while I was in fourth gear merging onto the expressway which caused the misfire. Now they want me to take the car back and drive it. I have already applied for the buy back with Ford and I haven’t heard anything back. I assume it will be denied but I am frustrated as I haven’t had my car for 30 days and now this???!!

Sorry to hear they are now playing games. Didn't install new heads either I suppose.

I don't know how it works in your State but in your Owner's Manual there is a page on using the Better Business Bureau (BBB) for arbitration.

Well......I believe I am getting the run around now. Was just told the computer in the car shows that a misfire has only occurred twice which is not true. They also said that the car’s rev limiter kicked on while I was in fourth gear merging onto the expressway which caused the misfire. Now they want me to take the car back and drive it. I have already applied for the buy back with Ford and I haven’t heard anything back. I assume it will be denied but I am frustrated as I haven’t had my car for 30 days and now this???!!
I realize that this is frustrating but the dealer can only go by what they are able to obtain from the vehicle's onboard info. As for the cause of the misfire, I would think that the explanation given, although perhaps true, should not have resulted in a misfire unless there was a problem. Take it back and drive it and see if the same issue still exists.

Peter

Back