Auction 93 xlt, no crank need advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auction 93 xlt, no crank need advice

BruceExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
So I got the copart 93 I won towed home and started to dig into it. I took a battery from my spare ex and attempted to start it. Lights come on but I don't even get a click when I turn the key. Under the hood I find new starter solenoid and I would guess new starter from what I can tell with oiland what not.
IMG_20190920_104017.jpg

Battery terminals look old but in tact from what I gather.

IMG_20190920_104025.jpg

Valve cover has a leak but there are new plugs and wires in the car. Oil and coolant are not mixing no sign of head gasket issue that I can see of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMG_20190920_103840.jpg
IMG_20190920_103849.jpg

Inside I found the fuse cover sitting out and stereo looks like it was stolen or vandalized.

I'm not sure if a fuse could be popped or missing yet.

IMG_20190920_103856.jpg

I don't know what that goes to as I am more familiar with my second gens.

do you hear a fuel pump run when you turn the key?
If so try turning the key to the on position and jumper the starter solenoid with a screw driver.....see if the starter /engine turns

It looks like you should replace the + side batt terminal with those wires exposed it is pretty likely that corrosion has made its way into those wires for a few inches.....

in that last picture it looks like the plug for that loose wiring harness is in the background

I love these challenges! Wish I was there.....

Keys look like aftermarket from what I can guess maybe the ignition switch was changed before?

Can anyone give me a path to go down in order of what all to check I am kind lost I know second gens alot better but I feel like it might be something super simple.

If I can get it to start I will probably fix everything wrong with it and keep it. If not it's about to get parted out

do you hear a fuel pump run when you turn the key?
If so try turning the key to the on position and jumper the starter solenoid with a screw driver.....see if the starter /engine turns

It looks like you should replace the + side batt terminal with those wires exposed it is pretty likely that corrosion has made its way into those wires for a few inches.....

in that last picture it looks like the plug for that loose wiring harness is in the background

I love these challenges! Wish I was there.....

Oh I forgot to say I can hear the fuel pump loud and clear too when I turn to the first position...maybe it's new. I just don't get a crank when I try to start.

I will start with all the things you said thanks fortune!

IMG_20190920_114523.jpg

Somebody was working on this before I got it and looks like they gave up. I feel like is going to be something simple or right.in front of my face

IMG_20190920_191507.jpg

Did some real quick terminals I am actually used to car audio ones that accept bigger gauge wires. Battery is charged back up to 12.6. Going to try to jump the starter and if that doesn't work taking the starter off to get tested before I replace it since solenoid looks brand new. Maybe they changed solenoid but not the starter itself

Starter didn't turn over jumping the solenoid

IMG_20190921_134847.jpg

Chunk missing out the starter. Off to the junkyard for a quick replacement I go.

Snapchat-512048937.jpg

Found a like new starter at the junkyard. Put it in turned the key and still nothing. Jumpered the solenoid at the fender again and boom she runs. solenoid looks Runs new but I guess I'll replace it and see what happens. Maybe it's the wire from the ignition switch?

IMG_20190921_160914.jpg

it could be the small red/blue wire I have had ignition switch issues on these trucks before,. luckily it is easy to test (should see 12V at fender relay when key turned to start pos)
The ignition switch is super robust on the steering column too easy to clean/check the function of
This maybe why it was at auction!! IT RUNS!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOO

Also that starter relay appears to be a 4 post? You need 3 not saying it wont work but that 4th post might need a signal before the ball will jump across and make up the power feed to the starter mounted relay

Back