New blend door actuator not working? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New blend door actuator not working?

cashmoney37

Reaction score
City, State
South Bend, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mountaineer
I have a 2000 mountaineer the blend door actuator quit working so I bought new one and still not working any ideas what could be going on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Confirm that it's actually getting electricity (connections), you can attach the wire to blend door actuator while it's not connected to blend door (have it in your hand) and from your control panel adjust temperature, it should move the "D" shaped rod.

There's possibility of the actual blend door being broken too. Also there are different type of blend door actuators for different type control panels do you have manual or automatic AC controls?

Edit: if you have broken blend door, they are very cheap, getting into it, is bit of work though...

I have the auto climate control I can move the door manually.

So you have same as me, i did change mine relatively easily and only could align it in the cold position, there are few actuators which are not compatible, but do check the functionality of the actuator when it is not connected.

Have you run the EATC self diagnostics? This may display error codes and it will reset the EATC. When I installed a new blend door actuator in my 2001 EB it did not work until I ran the diagnostic self test. It showed two error codes (IIRC 52 and 24). Its been working perfectly for 8 months now. I think I had to run the self test twice after plugging in the new actuator (then it displayed the all-good 888 code) and it starting working.

My main man @koda2000 nailed it
ANYTIME you swap blend door motors with the EATC you have to do a reset of the EATC or it wont work..
Otherwise it will still have the error codes in memory and not try to move the new motor because it still thinks the bad one is in there

the new blend door motor must be for the electronic group
usually before I buy aftermarket blend door motor, I will use parts from another blend door motors to fix the ford blend door motor. The aftermarket ones are not as good as the original. I have even been known to take the little nylon gear out of the brand new dorman blend door motor and use it to repair the original one.....

EATC self test / reset is all over youtube, anyone with the EATC system should be familiar with how to check and clear codes.....

My main man @koda2000 nailed it
ANYTIME you swap blend door motors with the EATC you have to do a reset of the EATC or it wont work..
Otherwise it will still have the error codes in memory and not try to move the new motor because it still thinks the bad one is in there

the new blend door motor must be for the electronic group
usually before I buy aftermarket blend door motor, I will use parts from another blend door motors to fix the ford blend door motor. The aftermarket ones are not as good as the original. I have even been known to take the little nylon gear out of the brand new dorman blend door motor and use it to repair the original one.....

EATC self test / reset is all over youtube, anyone with the EATC system should be familiar with how to check and clear codes.....

Link:

Note: if you can hear and feel the actuator moving and your temp setting doesn't change your blend door is broken. In the image below, note the metal socket on the blend door (it mounts vertically). The socket receives the post on the actuator. If the pivot posts often break and the door will no longer respond to the actuator and will flop around. If it flops open you get heat. If it flops closed you don't get heat. This is a very common problem on our trucks, having the actuator stop working is also a common issue. If your blend door is your problem there are 2 ways to replace the blend door. Quick & dirty and by removing the entire dash board. Most people go with the quick & dirty method, which requires you to cut a hole in the heater box and resealing it afterwards.

s-l1600.jpg

+1 on checking the actual blend door. The top of the stock door's post is brittle plastic and will break. If it turns out to be the infamous blend door issue; the part is easy to find on Amazon from Doorman and will require you cut an access hatch into the bottom of the box (from inside the cabin) to replace it.

Back