Noobie with an issue 2017 explorer sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noobie with an issue 2017 explorer sport

Bwints

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 explorer sport
glad To be a part of the members group. Hoping first post wouldn’t be a problem but it is so looking for some help. 2017 sport 30k just bought 3 months ago. Driving maybe 15mph just started heading down the block went around right hand turn heard loud clunking from back. Thought hit pot hole but seemed much different. Seemed to happen again while driving when I went over a bump.

Anyone with any possible advice on what it could be. Taking it to dealership afraid of course they won’t hear it.

Appreciate the help
Thanks
Bwints

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup did that. Of course checked all obvious things like spare tire being loose , nothing rattling just a loud clunk. I thought maybe something with tranny but shifts fine no hesitation or slipping thought maybe a control arm or something with suspension again nothing loose that I could feel.

Welcome.

Welcome. I would put a wrench on the visable nuts and bolts just to check. If prior owner replaced shock/strut assembly I would also check the top mounting bolts. Get a good look at the springs to make sure they are not broken. Also look at swaybar links.

Thanks. Springs at first glance looked fine. I am going to go over everything that you guys suggested. Appreciate the help and advice.

Thanks. Springs at first glance looked fine. I am going to go over everything that you guys suggested. Appreciate the help and advice.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Verify your jack, wrench and spare tire are tightly secured.

If your vehicle has the 60/40 split second row bench seat, fold the seat opposite the driver's side and place a towel over the exposed "U" shaped clamps holding the bottom cushion in place. Put the seat back up and drive. Mine was making a noise that sounded like a rattle/clunk and I "chased it all over the vehicle" including the headliner. Turned out it was the leather seat squeaking on those clamps. Solution - I put some white grease on the surfaces of the clamps and no more noise.

If your vehicle has the 60/40 split second row bench seat, fold the seat opposite the driver's side and place a towel over the exposed "U" shaped clamps holding the bottom cushion in place. Put the seat back up and drive. Mine was making a noise that sounded like a rattle/clunk and I "chased it all over the vehicle" including the headliner. Turned out it was the leather seat squeaking on those clamps. Solution - I put some white grease on the surfaces of the clamps and no more noise.
Like Bwints, I too have had a loud clunk in our 2015 Sport when driving slowly over bumps, like drainage dips entering a parking lot. I've had the truck on the lift several times, checked fastener tightness, wiggled exhaust, looked for something broken, all to no avail. Thought when the dealership replaced the rear alignment links during the recall, the noise may go away, but not so.
So after reading Cometracker's post on greasing the rear passenger seat latch, I thought what the hey. This is easy and likely needs to be done after 50K. Applied white grease last night and on my drive this morning, the NOISE IS GONE. Purposely drove over dips, bumps in the street, frost heaves, etc.and can't hear any rattles. I could see where Ford or a dealership had applied white grease to the latch assembly, but it had dried. Once again, one of our Serious Explorations members has provided the solution to a troublesome issue. And its easy !! Thanks so much.

That's interesting. Lots of people experience noises with rubber weatherstripping and seals also. Primarily because they never maintain them. There are lots of little things that should be done periodically that many people don't do or never do (at least until there is a problem, than they seem to do a lot of stuff).

If you look into the maintenance schedules for a lot of euro vehicles you will find all kinds of odd stuff that they do/recommend that most of the non-euro oems don't do/recommend. Things like lubing sliding parts (seat tracks, sunroofs, doors, windows, etc...), in addition to lubricating rubber seals and weatherstrips and so on. I'm not saying it is all 100% necessary to pay someone else to do it regularly (most is very easy to diy), but it is amazing how much of a difference it makes in the overall experience when everything is maintained.

For seat tracks, I typically lube them when I do my once a year deep clean. Door hinges/latches and other stuff more exposed to the elements get lubed at least twice a year. Same with door locks. Most never use them, but it's nice to know they were checked and working should you need to use them.

Back