2014 loaner while 2008 in shop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 loaner while 2008 in shop

Larryjb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
We specifically asked for an Explorer while the '08 went into the shop, so we got a 2014. Taking into account that it is probably close to a base model, it does have nice features like the automatic lift gate. For technogeeks, it does have lots of electronics to have fun with, but that's not my cup of tea. Electronics do lead to driver distraction.

Honestly, it does feel like a downgrade from the 4th Generation Explorers:

The seatbelts for the middle 2nd row passenger are very tight together, making sitting in that position intolerable. This was an instant complaint from one of our kids who had to sit there. The 08 Explorer is more comfortable in that same position.

Visibility is worse, and I thought the 08 was bad. The rear window is smaller, and sight lines out the side windows is very poor.

Some of the physical buttons (e.g. defog) do not have a physical click. If you need the defog fast, you have to fumble to find it, then look down to see if it activated. I suppose the audible beep should be enough, but a tactile response helps ensure you tapped the correct button. It would be easy to tap the wrong button, hear the audible beep only find you turned the HVAC auto mode to off.

It does drive nicely, perhaps even nicer than the '08 does. But I sure hope Ford did a better job with the 2020 Explorer. Moving back to RWD based is a step forwards at least. However, there are no 2020's in Canada yet as far as I know. I know I'm in the 5th generation forum, amongst lovers of the 5th generation, so please don't take this personally. If you don't use the 2nd row middle position, that isn't an issue. Visibility is an issue among all car manufacturers so this complaint actually can't be taken against Ford specifically. Heck, even the Toyota Corolla has lousy visibility now, especially given its size. This is a case where I hope car manufacturers wake up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bigger question is what shop is giving out 6 yr old loaner vehicles?

Also, I doubt the base model had power liftgate. I believe it would have to be an xlt with 201a or 202a or a limited for that feature.

First of all, this is Canada and we do things differently. It doesn't always make sense. It's probably too expensive for dealerships to have 1 year old loaners. There was a police department right near the St. Thomas plant that bought their Crown Vics from the USA even though they were made almost right next door. It was cheaper for them to buy them in the USA and re-import them. Also, it says something when a 5 year old vehicle stands up well as a loaner.

I'm not sure what option were standard, but this truck didn't have running boards which surprised me. My wife really missed those, and I thought that anything above base would have running boards standard. Also, it had a lot less power than out 08 4.6L. I believe you are right, it is an XLT because I'm sure it has the 3.5 V6. It definitely gets better gas mileage than our 08 4.6L.

First of all, this is Canada and we do things differently. It doesn't always make sense. It's probably too expensive for dealerships to have 1 year old loaners. There was a police department right near the St. Thomas plant that bought their Crown Vics from the USA even though they were made almost right next door. It was cheaper for them to buy them in the USA and re-import them. Also, it says something when a 5 year old vehicle stands up well as a loaner.

I'm not sure what option were standard, but this truck didn't have running boards which surprised me. My wife really missed those, and I thought that anything above base would have running boards standard. Also, it had a lot less power than out 08 4.6L. I believe you are right, it is an XLT because I'm sure it has the 3.5 V6. It definitely gets better gas mileage than our 08 4.6L.

Ever walk up stairs or steps that were only 1-2" increments?.. makes you feel like you need to skip every other step. That's what it is like with the 5th gen. Running boards were never offered at all.. you could go 3rd party but when you step up, the inside of the vehicle is almost just as high. There is/was no point for them on the 5th gen.

...........It's probably too expensive for dealerships to have 1 year old loaners................. T
The 2 loaners my dealership supplied were both current year vehicles. Perhaps the 2014 was the only Explorer they had. Found memories of Port Stanley.:)

Peter

Peter, that could very well be the case. We did specifically request an explorer. They did offer an escape or focus, but we needed the extra seats.

I'm having great difficulty adjusting to the signal lever. The guy behind me must have thought I was a complete idiot! The lever doesn't stay in the clicked position while the signal is on. Today, the signal was still going, so I tried to cancel it the way I'm used to. Suddenly the left signal is on, try to cancel that, then the right signal is going... you get the picture.

I make use of a lot of tactile feedback when driving. It's the way I can keep my eyes on the road and operate other functions at the same time. On the earlier generation, you can feel the button click for the defogger and know you are pressing the defog without looking at it. However, this is the direction a lot of manufacturers have been going, so this is not all on Ford.

Peter, that could very well be the case. We did specifically request an explorer. They did offer an escape or focus, but we needed the extra seats.

I'm having great difficulty adjusting to the signal lever. The guy behind me must have thought I was a complete idiot! The lever doesn't stay in the clicked position while the signal is on. Today, the signal was still going, so I tried to cancel it the way I'm used to. Suddenly the left signal is on, try to cancel that, then the right signal is going... you get the picture.

I make use of a lot of tactile feedback when driving. It's the way I can keep my eyes on the road and operate other functions at the same time. On the earlier generation, you can feel the button click for the defogger and know you are pressing the defog without looking at it. However, this is the direction a lot of manufacturers have been going, so this is not all on Ford.
Ford got rid of those buttons for 2016 - they listened to all the negative feedback.

...........................I'm having great difficulty adjusting to the signal lever. The guy behind me must have thought I was a complete idiot! The lever doesn't stay in the clicked position while the signal is on. Today, the signal was still going, so I tried to cancel it the way I'm used to. Suddenly the left signal is on, try to cancel that, then the right signal is going... you get the picture..................................
That turn signal setup received a lot of complaints and comments. Rest assured that you were not the only one to go through what you did. Ford reverted to the more 'standard' turn signal operation with the 2016 model year.

Peter

Ford got rid of those buttons for 2016 - they listened to all the negative feedback.

That's good to know!

I wonder how the ergonomics of the 2020 Explorer compare? I'm also curious about the upcoming Bronco.

The visibility issues are due to meeting impact standards - more structure and less windows. Higher hood/grill heights up front too for pedestrian safety requirements. And all manufacturers are basing overall shapes on the most aerodynamic design for efficiency reasons to meet EPA requirements, result is that most vehicles look the same nowadays.

Back to our 2008. :)

What I have to say is really directed to nearly all automobile manufacturers.

As with most cars of the last decade, manufacturers have been moving to cute bells and whistles throughout the dash. I commented to the dealer who did the insurance work on our 08 that to even turn on/off the seat heater was a chore. My seat was getting uncomfortably toasty, but I didn't want to take my eyes off the road to hunt for the seat heater icon. I asked my wife to turn it off and she ended up causing different screens to pop up. She eventually got it turned off. The lady at the dealership asked us why we didn't use the voice controls! I'm not about to start experimenting with voice controls while driving.

To all the manufacturers, please give me normal buttons for stuff like this! In my opinion, the touch screen should be only used for things you would never change while driving.

Okay, call me old and grumpy, call me a stick in the mud, call you what you will. But I will never buy a vehicle with so many functions built into a touch screen.

The visibility issues are due to meeting impact standards - more structure and less windows. Higher hood/grill heights up front too for pedestrian safety requirements. And all manufacturers are basing overall shapes on the most aerodynamic design for efficiency reasons to meet EPA requirements, result is that most vehicles look the same nowadays.

I always thought the switch to unibody was to save weight. The curb weight of the 2014 Explorer is almost the same as the 2008. I wonder if a different material might not be a better choice for the pillars. Perhaps carbon fiber wrapped steel? Foam infused steel beams? Something that increases the strength of the steel without increasing the bulk. I guess that would also greatly increase the cost of the vehicle.

I always thought the switch to unibody was to save weight.
The main reason for the 5th generation switch to unibody was because there was a very limited demand anymore for the previous generation Explorers. When sales fall, things get changed to what the buying public wants.

Peter

The main reason for the 5th generation switch to unibody was because there was a very limited demand anymore for the previous generation Explorers. When sales fall, things get changed to what the buying public wants.

Peter
The public at large is stupid and not the reason for the switch. Many probably couldn't tell the difference if asked.

Unibody can be made lighter than bof. Unibody vehicles are safer, offer a smoother ride, more carlike handling (lower center if gravity), and a weight savings. Unfortunately that weight savings often gets eaten up with more safety equipment and nannies, luxury features, and such (that consumers do demand).

There is still high demand for certain bof vehicles, but they are mainly trucks and off road vehicles, not soccer mom crossovers...

......................Unibody can be made lighter than bof. Unibody vehicles are safer, offer a smoother ride, more carlike handling (lower center if gravity), and a weight savings..................................
That's exactly what I alluded to in my post although not in so many words. It's what the majority of buyers wanted.

Peter

Back