2005 engine cut off on sharp turn

xurz

Reaction score
City, State
san jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer XLT
2005 model with 120,5xx miles

Today was the first time I attempted taking it out on the dirt. Nothing crazy just a flat patch of dirt. I did a sharp reverse then then the engine turned off. low oil pressure, check oil guage, and the CEL lights came on. I turned off the vehicle and it started up again no issues.

Any idea on what causes this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today was the first time I attempted taking it out on the dirt. Nothing crazy just a flat patch of dirt. I did a sharp reverse then then the engine turned off. low oil pressure, check oil guage, and the CEL lights came on. I turned off the vehicle and it started up again no issues.

Not entirely sure but mine does this as well. The only time it's ever happened to me was at very low speeds like in my driveway or a parking lot. Near as I can tell, the RPMs are just too low for the engine to keep running with the added strain of the power steering pump at full or close to full lock. If you straighten out or give it some gas, you'll usually stop it from dying. Just don't give it gas to stop it from dying and forget you're still in D or R!

I have a 03 4wd ford explorer and a couple of years ago my truck would die out when I would make a turn but it only do it every now and again one day I was driving and rounded a curve and the engine died tried to start it and it wouldn't stay started ended up having it towed to a ford dealership come to find out it was one of the Cadillac converters .i dont know if that will help you or not . just thought I'd tell you about my experience..

Catalytic* Converter

How full was your tank?
Keep it above 1/4 tank

How full was your tank?
Keep it above 1/4 tank

This may help but the tank & pump are designed to run to empty. The tank has a raised spiral pattern to trap fuel at the pump inlet and the pump usually have a small bypass that keeps a jacket around the pump full so when it does suck in air it will just pull from this jacket to compensate. Although it isn't best for the pump as it overheats due to relying the fuel for lubrication and cooling.

I have run my explorer to E to see how accurate the gauge and Miles to E are. When it says 0 miles its true. I put 22.3 gallons in and these tanks are only 22.5 gallon tanks. However, driving the steep and twisty windy roads of NY, I have never had my explorer cut out due to driving on an empty tank.

Stoped mine from cutting out when my fuel pump started getting weak
Now with a new pump I just don't let it get that low
Look up on the forums truck stalls when going around bends you will find tons of threads

Just letting you what worked for me
if your gonna keep running it empty you will keep killing pumps just saying may be designed that way but it won't last that way good luck

Does turning hard actually put more strain on the engine? Obviously, the power steering pully/pump is turning/running the entire time the engine is on (unlike the A/C compressor). Assuming you're not straining the wheel further than the normal steering limit (which we were all taught not to do in driver's ed, at least in Michigan), I've never perceived that turning the rack actually puts additional strain (pulls HPs) on/from the engine.

But I could be wrong. If I am, I like the catalytic converter hypothesis: undue backpressure due to failed/failing CC + added strain from power steering pump stalls the engine.

IIRC, the '05 model does away with the IAC. My '02 has an IAC, which might compensate for such a situation. How does the '05 model deal with low idle?

IIRC, the '05 model does away with the IAC. My '02 has an IAC, which might compensate for such a situation. How does the '05 model deal with low idle?
It's a fly by wire design I think

I don't think ps pump can effect it that much to shut down the engine

You can do a catalytic converter back pressure test to confirm if it is the problem
Sorry I would have answered you sooner I was getting my kids to school:)

I still think it's a pump related problem check the fuel pressure when the pump is acting up or hot ...after a long drive ..

That will tell him a lot

Back