Resonator and Muffler | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Resonator and Muffler

Reaction score
City, State
SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Limited 4wd
06 Limited with 138k miles developed a rattle Friday. Checked underneath and narrowed it down to muffler system. Quote today from local shop.

Rear muffer $119.45
Gaskets $28.99 & $29.99
Resonator $194.05
Labor $95.89
Tax/Fees $66.22
$534.59

Seems steep but curious if anyone has had similar work done.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced the entire system using Walker 12465401 for $ 180

You just have to supply your own labor :)

I replaced the entire system using Walker 12465401 for $ 180

You just have to supply your own labor :)
Pretty handy...just bolts at joints/gaskets? Any welding involved? Didn't pay that much attention, terribly intensive?

Thanks

no welding, just bolts and clamps.
Only tight spot was over the rear passenger wheel to separate the old pipes on the bend over the axle.
Otherwise, no rocket science.

Explorer_PL,
The (rear) muffler on my '06 Mounty V8 is rusted through and chuffing pretty bad.

1. Rockauto calls both front and rear units "mufflers". Do both units actually have internal baffling/louvers making them mufflers, or is the front unit open inside, making it a resonator?
2. When did you replace your exhaust?
3. How has the Walker kit held up (assuming it's been some time)? My mechanic (I trust him) tells me that these aftermarket parts are rarely as good as OEM, as they are often aluminized, not 100% SS. Do you know if the Walker kit is actually 100% SS?
4. My exhaust is all welded together, from the flange at the Y-split back. Did you just take a sawsall to all the bits to remove?
5. Did you have a hoist, or were you able to do with ramps, jack-stands, etc?
6. My pipes after the resonator/mufflers still look good, especially the tailpipe. I'm considering simply replacing my bad rear muffler (or both units) with a single Magnaflow or Flowmaster muffler. Did you consider this sort of thing? I would not mind having a deeper exhaust note on-throttle, as long as it's not droning while cruising.

Thanks

I replaced my 3d gen exhuast with the Walker stuff from Rockauto 4 years ago; holding up well. Aluminum (not SS). You don't want to pay for SS for an older truck like this! No need to cut apart exhaust to extract (though it would not be hard). My resonator (sometimes called the third cat) became clogged with debris from a failed catalytic converter after I replaced the exhaust. The muffler shop just welded in a straight pipe there, h does not affect sound, performance, or pollution, since the "real" cats are the front two (one on each side).

I'd put the Walker on again. Good stuff.

Brakeman -
Drew answered most of your questions, but just to add.
I went under my truck today and knock on both mufflers. The first one (resonator) sounds empty, the second one has different sound as if something was inside. That's my impression.
I replaced it maybe 2 years ago.
So far no issues, surface rust but no holes or anything like that.
I do not recall cutting it to remove it. I only had to cut the 2 bolts at the flange to the Y pipe.
The whole system is made out of 2 pieces: first with both mufflers welded together, and then the tail pipe joining the front piece over the driver side rear axle. That's where the 2 pieces slide into each other and are held with a strap. I cut the strap, and it took some effort to separate them and slide apart.
I did not consider putting a single muffles as that would require welding probably and I don't have a welder so it would require a shop = more $$$ so that kills any savings.
Hope that helps.

Strange. The WALKER KIT12465401 currently on RockAuto ($186.79) includes front and rear "Quiet Flow SS" Muffler/Resonator.
Click on the Info button for either muffler, and the details show,
"100% Structural Stainless Steel construction resists rust-out three times longer than competitors' premium aluminized mufflers."
However, the dimension section below that shows, "Body Material - Stainless Steel", and "Color/Finish - Aluminized".
Either way, For about $240 shipped, it's a great price for cat-back system of any material.

To update...took to my usual shop for estimate and to 100% confirm the resonator rattle. *******s charged me $47.99 for the "estimate" after the fact. Not to mention just shy of $600 for total replacement and said wouldn't just replace the resonator.

Took to a another shop that is more mom/pop and has a really good reputation. Calls me and says the resonator is rattling and if I wanted a new or straight piece of pipe welded in. $40 later and the truck sounds throaty.

"Throaty". Are you considering that a good thing?
Most feel that a deep tone is nice when on the gas, as long as it's not that annoying "drone" while cruising on the expressway.

Don't mind it a bit. The 8 year old really digs it;) The wife, who occasionally drives it as well (Accord) doesn't seem to mind. Time will tell and my guy will just cut and weld a resonator in since the rest of the system is in good shape.

Gotta love the mom & pop muffler shops!

Back