Aftermarket wheels | Page 37 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

For you guys that went with 20x10.50 wheels in a +45 offset, do you get any rubbing anywhere? I'm looking at the Velgen's specifically, they also make a +25 offset that is the same on the inner clearance as the stock 20x9's, but would push the outside of the wheel out 1.49" (over the stockers, I think its about 0.7" further out than the Velgen +45's), not sure if that's better or if having the +45 a little more tucked in is the way to go.

I noticed one of the guys mentioned he would like to have a spacer now with the +45's, just wondering if I that means the +25 would be a better fit in the long run. Hope that all made sense.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For you guys that went with 20x10.50 wheels in a +45 offset, do you get any rubbing anywhere? I'm looking at the Velgen's specifically, they also make a +25 offset that is the same on the inner clearance as the stock 20x9's, but would push the outside of the wheel out 1.49" (over the stockers, I think its about 0.7" further out than the Velgen +45's), not sure if that's better or if having the +45 a little more tucked in is the way to go.

I noticed one of the guys mentioned he would like to have a spacer now with the +45's, just wondering if I that means the +25 would be a better fit in the long run. Hope that all made sense.

ZERO RUBBING. Fits Perfect. Velgen VMB6 20" x 10.5" 45mm off set

6E08EB12-D29C-4345-B80E-7D479D56115B.jpg

ZERO RUBBING. Fits Perfect. Velgen VMB6 20" x 10.5" 45mm off set

View attachment 173436

Love your ride dude, its not my taste, but I love that you went balls out on the color.

Thanks for the feedback. I talked to Velgen and they recommended the +45 as well. So I'm putting my order in today. I don't think I'll be lowering it, I might, but its my wife's kid hauler, not sure if she will enjoy it lowered. Hoping the wheel gap isnt too much without lowering it.

Love your ride dude, its not my taste, but I love that you went balls out on the color.

Thanks for the feedback. I talked to Velgen and they recommended the +45 as well. So I'm putting my order in today. I don't think I'll be lowering it, I might, but its my wife's kid hauler, not sure if she will enjoy it lowered. Hoping the wheel gap isnt too much without lowering it.
PHOTOS PLEASE!!!! :p

What’s the backspace on the Velgen VMB5 20x10.5 45mm offset?

Got the Velgen's installed, they are absolutely beautiful wheels. Pictures dont do them justice. The ride is fantastic and the lateral grip is amazing compared to the skinny tires that were on there stock. Most importantly, the wifey is super happy. Happy wife = happy life :D

Just gotta decide if I want to paint the silver bumper moldings front and rear....

XCYQxYP.jpg

IS3t2HP.jpg

lOIwWLY.jpg

What’s the backspace on the Velgen VMB5 20x10.5 45mm offset?

Easy enough to calculate, Backspace = (Rim's Tire Width + 1)/2 + (Offset/25.4)

So about 7.5", no rubbing or clearance issues that I can see.

I dont think you'd have any issues with that size. Its a little narrower than the ones I just picked up, similar offset/backspacing. Should be good to go.

Thank you!

Got the Velgen's installed, they are absolutely beautiful wheels. Pictures dont do them justice. The ride is fantastic and the lateral grip is amazing compared to the skinny tires that were on there stock. Most importantly, the wifey is super happy. Happy wife = happy life :D

Just gotta decide if I want to paint the silver bumper moldings front and rear....

XCYQxYP.jpg

IS3t2HP.jpg

lOIwWLY.jpg
00A3FD45-BF5F-4AC2-827A-0BFD82C23A8E.jpg
I got the VMB 6. Love them. Plus, DO NOT PAINT. Wrap the bumpers and stuff. Much easier and lasts if done right. Your ride looks fantastic!

I’m surprised no ones done the 20x10 FR500 wheels. The specs are VERY similar to the Velgens.

XCYQxYP.jpg

IS3t2HP.jpg

lOIwWLY.jpg

What are you Spec's on the wheels and tires?

What are you Spec's on the wheels and tires?

It looks like @kenemmons ride which inspired me to do mine. If I had to guess, Velgen Wheels VMB5 20''x10.5" with a 45mm off set. Mine are VMB6 with those specs. Tires are 295 45Z R20. I went with Pirelli Scorpio Verde Run Flats. @Tricon916 how close am I on the wheels?

It looks like @kenemmons ride which inspired me to do mine. If I had to guess, Velgen Wheels VMB5 20''x10.5" with a 45mm off set. Mine are VMB6 with those specs. Tires are 295 45Z R20. I went with Pirelli Scorpio Verde Run Flats. @Tricon916 how close am I on the wheels?

Nailed it, that's exactly what they are. I went with the Toyo Proxes ST's, same size you listed. I loved the look of Ken's Explorer and knew my wife would dig it, they fit PERFECTLY. the offset is perfect, width is perfect. Really what stock 20's shouldve been.

Nailed it, that's exactly what they are. I went with the Toyo Proxes ST's, same size you listed. I loved the look of Ken's Explorer and knew my wife would dig it, they fit PERFECTLY. the offset is perfect, width is perfect. Really what stock 20's shouldve been.

What do you think of those tires so far? I have the Toyo Proxes ST III in my wish list for when I wear out my current set(I'm using 17x9" wheels(98 Explorer)). I prefer tires that are as good in the rain as possible, wear and price is less important.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078MZJ6H...colid=246RRPWYWS26&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

What do you think of those tires so far? I have the Toyo Proxes ST III in my wish list for when I wear out my current set(I'm using 17x9" wheels(98 Explorer)). I prefer tires that are as good in the rain as possible, wear and price is less important.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078MZJ6H...colid=246RRPWYWS26&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I love them so far, the grip is amazing. I dont get a lot of rain here though in SoCal so I can't speak to that yet, but the tread looks like it will handle the weather well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If wear is not important, get the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

That's funny, I bought those the last time for both my Mountaineer and my Mark VII. Those DWS's grip very well, but wow you do have to accept fast wear. I'm near 20k on the 255/55/18's, and they might last 4-6 more months when I drive the truck. I'm used to getting close to 30k miles on a set, so that is less, but not a ton less.

The Proxes ST III is only one of three possible in the 275/55/17 size, so the choices are limited there.

Back